There is always something new out of Africa. -- Gaius Plinius Secundus

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

SubjectAuthor
* Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Lynn McGuire
+* Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Christian Weisgerber
|+- Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Lynn McGuire
|`- Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Cryptoengineer
+* Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Lynn McGuire
|+- Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"D
|`* Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Robert Carnegie
| `* Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Lynn McGuire
|  `* Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Cryptoengineer
|   `- Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"Paul S Person
`- Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"D

1
Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<utks8h$35afa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97593&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97593

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:12:48 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:12 UTC

Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem". I watched the
first twenty minutes last night. The brutality of the Chinese Cultural
Revolution was horrendous. I will be watching more then reading the
first book in the series that I bought a few months ago.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81024821
and
https://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu/dp/0765382032/

Lynn

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<slrnuvs3jg.1t8j.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97595&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97595

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:04:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:04 UTC

On 2024-03-22, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem". I watched the
> first twenty minutes last night.

There is also a Chinese TV show. I watched a number of episodes
last year, but eventually gave up on it since, among other things,
the pace was glacial and I didn't want to spend the time for 30
episodes.

After the first episode, I can already confirm that the Netflix
adaptation moves appreciably faster.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<utlc7b$38s1v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97599&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97599

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:45:13 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 01:45 UTC

On 3/22/2024 6:04 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2024-03-22, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem". I watched the
>> first twenty minutes last night.
>
> There is also a Chinese TV show. I watched a number of episodes
> last year, but eventually gave up on it since, among other things,
> the pace was glacial and I didn't want to spend the time for 30
> episodes.
>
> After the first episode, I can already confirm that the Netflix
> adaptation moves appreciably faster.

I had forgotten that he wrote "The Wandering Earth". I have watched
that subtitled in English spoken in Chinese movie twice. Just a cool
movie but I have not read the book, yet.
https://www.amazon.com/Wandering-Earth-Cixin-Liu/dp/1250796849/

Lynn

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<utljbn$3e1qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97602&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97602

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:47:01 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 03:47 UTC

On 3/22/2024 4:12 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem".  I watched the
> first twenty minutes last night.  The brutality of the Chinese Cultural
> Revolution was horrendous.  I will be watching more then reading the
> first book in the series that I bought a few months ago.
>    https://www.netflix.com/title/81024821
> and
>    https://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu/dp/0765382032/
>
> Lynn

Ok, the Netflix version of the book is not available in China. I was
wondering about that.
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2024/03/22/netflixs-3-body-problem-spawns-anger-in-china-n3785226

And order of events in the book are different in the Chinese version and
the English version. That is sad.

Lynn

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<7bb98fbb-f4b3-4482-d3dd-21147b02012e@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97603&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97603

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:47:52 +0100
 by: D - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:47 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem". I watched the first
> twenty minutes last night. The brutality of the Chinese Cultural Revolution
> was horrendous. I will be watching more then reading the first book in the
> series that I bought a few months ago.
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81024821
> and
> https://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu/dp/0765382032/
>
> Lynn

Interesting! Thank you very much for the tip, this will go onto the
TV-computer for later watching!

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<9ac5610c-1aaa-e757-26a0-e6e194992616@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97604&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97604

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:50:31 +0100
 by: D - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:50 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> On 3/22/2024 4:12 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem".  I watched the
>> first twenty minutes last night.  The brutality of the Chinese Cultural
>> Revolution was horrendous.  I will be watching more then reading the first
>> book in the series that I bought a few months ago.
>>    https://www.netflix.com/title/81024821
>> and
>>    https://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu/dp/0765382032/
>>
>> Lynn
>
> Ok, the Netflix version of the book is not available in China. I was
> wondering about that.
>
> https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2024/03/22/netflixs-3-body-problem-spawns-anger-in-china-n3785226
>
> And order of events in the book are different in the Chinese version and the
> English version. That is sad.
>
> Lynn

Reminds me of when a business partner of mine had chinese visitors and by
chance they showed a documentary about the cultural revolution on tv.

The next day they came to his office complaining about the dark
anti-chinese propaganda they saw on swedish tv last night.

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<utmuen$3ni9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97608&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97608

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:02:31 -0400
 by: Cryptoengineer - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:02 UTC

On 3/22/2024 7:04 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2024-03-22, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem". I watched the
>> first twenty minutes last night.
>
> There is also a Chinese TV show. I watched a number of episodes
> last year, but eventually gave up on it since, among other things,
> the pace was glacial and I didn't want to spend the time for 30
> episodes.
>
> After the first episode, I can already confirm that the Netflix
> adaptation moves appreciably faster.

I watched the first episode of the Chinese version. Definitely
slow, but I'm told it is very faithful to the book, which the
Netflix version is not.

It can be found on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-UO8jbrIoM&list=PLMX26aiIvX5oCR4bBg2j0W4KKgjYtYBfv

pt

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<utsf7k$18672$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97677&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97677

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:19:32 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:19 UTC

On 23/03/2024 03:47, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/22/2024 4:12 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem".  I watched
>> the first twenty minutes last night.  The brutality of the Chinese
>> Cultural Revolution was horrendous.  I will be watching more then
>> reading the first book in the series that I bought a few months ago.
>>     https://www.netflix.com/title/81024821
>> and
>>     https://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu/dp/0765382032/
>>
>> Lynn
>
> Ok, the Netflix version of the book is not available in China.  I was
> wondering about that.
>
> https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2024/03/22/netflixs-3-body-problem-spawns-anger-in-china-n3785226
>
> And order of events in the book are different in the Chinese version and
> the English version.  That is sad.

Are you saying that the book is different
in thr teo languages, as well as the TV shows?

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<utskal$19d3d$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97687&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97687

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:46:29 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:46 UTC

On 3/25/2024 1:19 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On 23/03/2024 03:47, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 3/22/2024 4:12 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem".  I watched
>>> the first twenty minutes last night.  The brutality of the Chinese
>>> Cultural Revolution was horrendous.  I will be watching more then
>>> reading the first book in the series that I bought a few months ago.
>>>     https://www.netflix.com/title/81024821
>>> and
>>>     https://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu/dp/0765382032/
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> Ok, the Netflix version of the book is not available in China.  I was
>> wondering about that.
>>
>> https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2024/03/22/netflixs-3-body-problem-spawns-anger-in-china-n3785226
>>
>> And order of events in the book are different in the Chinese version
>> and the English version.  That is sad.
>
> Are you saying that the book is different
> in thr teo languages, as well as the TV shows?

Apparently so according to the article.

I talked to a 23 year old Chinese person about it over the weekend. He
has watched the Netflix episodes already and found it good. He said
that he does not remember the murder of the physics professor by the Red
Guard in the Chinese version of the first book. He thinks that was
taken out by the Chinese censors.

Lynn

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<utsme8$19kqc$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97693&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97693

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:22:32 -0400
 by: Cryptoengineer - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 20:22 UTC

On 3/25/2024 3:46 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/25/2024 1:19 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:

>>> Ok, the Netflix version of the book is not available in China.  I was
>>> wondering about that.
>>>
>>> https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2024/03/22/netflixs-3-body-problem-spawns-anger-in-china-n3785226
>>>
>>> And order of events in the book are different in the Chinese version
>>> and the English version.  That is sad.
>>
>> Are you saying that the book is different
>> in thr teo languages, as well as the TV shows?
>
> Apparently so according to the article.
>
> I talked to a 23 year old Chinese person about it over the weekend.  He
> has watched the Netflix episodes already and found it good.  He said
> that he does not remember the murder of the physics professor by the Red
> Guard in the Chinese version of the first book.  He thinks that was
> taken out by the Chinese censors.

Reportedly this scene is creating a lot of hubbub in China. The
authorities would rather downplay the Cultural Revolution.

It does not appear in the first episode of the Chinese TV
series.

pt

Re: Netflix has a new tv series of "The Three-Body Problem"

<mbr50j1b1cmkqffgk1cihh30ujhoaf9a0o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97710&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97710

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 08:48:23 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:48 UTC

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:22:32 -0400, Cryptoengineer
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/25/2024 3:46 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> Are you saying that the book is different
>>> in thr teo languages, as well as the TV shows?
>>
>> Apparently so according to the article.
>>
>> I talked to a 23 year old Chinese person about it over the weekend.  He
>> has watched the Netflix episodes already and found it good.  He said
>> that he does not remember the murder of the physics professor by the Red
>> Guard in the Chinese version of the first book.  He thinks that was
>> taken out by the Chinese censors.
>
>Reportedly this scene is creating a lot of hubbub in China. The
>authorities would rather downplay the Cultural Revolution.
>
>It does not appear in the first episode of the Chinese TV
>series.

Some of the reasoning reported in the article from Chinese
commentators was very strange -- as if they had no idea at all of
their own history.

Then again, living in a Commie State, it is quite possible that they
do not.

The idea that Netflix was trying to demean China was especially
hilarious, since it takes no effort at all to demean a Commie country.
The "Communist" in "Communist China" is demeaning, all by itself.

I should note that this is an explicitly right-wing site, and will try
to sign you up if you view the page.

I wonder what sort of ads I'll get now ...
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,