From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Nebula Finalists 1976
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:47:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:47 UTC

Some finalist lists were very long this year. Not sure why.

Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
The Female Man by Joanna Russ
A Funeral for the Eyes of Fire by Michael Bishop
A Midsummer Tempest by Poul Anderson
Autumn Angels by Arthur Byron Cover
Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny
Guernica Night by Barry N. Malzberg
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow
The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee
The Computer Connection by Alfred Bester
The Embedding by Ian Watson
The Exile Waiting by Vonda N. McIntyre
The Heritage of Hastur by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Stochastic Man by Robert Silverberg

I have read the Haldeman, the N&P, the Delany, the Bishop, the Anderson,
the Zelazny (my favourite RZ), the MacLean, the Lee, the Bester (how
did it get nominated for an award?), the Watson, the McIntyre, the
Bradley, and the Silverberg.

Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?

Home Is the Hangman by Roger Zelazny
The Storms of Windhaven by George R. R. Martin and Lisa Tuttle
A Momentary Taste of Being by James Tiptree, Jr.
Sunrise West by William K. Carlson

All but the Carlson, which I've never heard of.

Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?

San Diego Lightfoot Sue by Tom Reamy
The Final Fighting of Fion Mac Cumhaill by Randall Garrett
Retrograde Summer by John Varley
A Galaxy Called Rome by Barry N. Malzberg
The Custodians by Richard Cowper
Blooded on Arachne by Michael Bishop
Polly Charms, the Sleeping Woman by Avram Davidson
The Bleeding Man by Craig Strete
The Dybbuk Dolls by Jack Dann
The New Atlantis by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Warlord of Saturn's Moons by Eleanor Arnason

I have read the Reamy, the Varley, the Bishop, the Le Guin, and the Arnason.

Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?

Catch That Zeppelin! by Fritz Leiber
Child of All Ages by P. J. Plauger
Shatterday by Harlan Ellison
Sail the Tide of Mourning by Richard A. Lupoff
Time Deer by Craig Strete
Utopia of a Tired Man by Jorge Luis Borges
A Scraping at the Bones by Algis Budrys
Doing Lennon by Gregory Benford
Attachment by Phyllis Eisenstein
Find the Lady by Nicholas Fisk
Growing Up in Edge City by Frederik Pohl
White Creatures by Gregory Benford
White Wolf Calling by Charles L. Grant

I have read the Leiber, the Plauger, the Lupoff, the Strete, the
Budrys, and the Benford.

Which 1976 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?

Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks, Mary Shelley and Gene Wilder
A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison and L. Q. Jones
Dark Star by John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon
Rollerball by William Harrison, Norman Jewison and Martin Julien

All but A Boy and His Dog.

Re: Nebula Finalists 1976

<l6dku5FhafjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97669&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97669

From: alan@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Nebula Finalists 1976
Date: 25 Mar 2024 15:52:37 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:52 UTC

On 2024-03-25, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

> Some finalist lists were very long this year. Not sure why.

Yes. I got lots of exercise today - my office is in the basement
but the books are throughout the house and I made many trips to the
second floor to remind myself of whether I had that novel or collection.
(Next time I'll just take a couple of pictures on my phone and do it
in one trip.)

> Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>
> The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
> The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
> Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
> The Female Man by Joanna Russ
> A Funeral for the Eyes of Fire by Michael Bishop
> A Midsummer Tempest by Poul Anderson
> Autumn Angels by Arthur Byron Cover
> Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny
> Guernica Night by Barry N. Malzberg
> Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
> Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
> Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow
> The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee
> The Computer Connection by Alfred Bester
> The Embedding by Ian Watson
> The Exile Waiting by Vonda N. McIntyre
> The Heritage of Hastur by Marion Zimmer Bradley
> The Stochastic Man by Robert Silverberg
>
> I have read the Haldeman, the N&P, the Delany, the Bishop, the Anderson,
> the Zelazny (my favourite RZ), the MacLean, the Lee, the Bester (how
> did it get nominated for an award?), the Watson, the McIntyre, the
> Bradley, and the Silverberg.

Same read list except I read the Russ and not the Watson.
_The Forever War, _The Mote in Gods Eye_ and _Doorways in the Sand_ are on
my Favorite bookcase and several others have been occasionally reread
(_A Midsummer Tempest_, _The Birthgrave_, _The Heritage of Hastur_).
A strong year.

> Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
>
> Home Is the Hangman by Roger Zelazny
> The Storms of Windhaven by George R. R. Martin and Lisa Tuttle
> A Momentary Taste of Being by James Tiptree, Jr.
> Sunrise West by William K. Carlson
>
> All but the Carlson, which I've never heard of.

The Zelazny and the Martin/Tuttle

> Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
>
> San Diego Lightfoot Sue by Tom Reamy
> The Final Fighting of Fion Mac Cumhaill by Randall Garrett
> Retrograde Summer by John Varley
> A Galaxy Called Rome by Barry N. Malzberg
> The Custodians by Richard Cowper
> Blooded on Arachne by Michael Bishop
> Polly Charms, the Sleeping Woman by Avram Davidson
> The Bleeding Man by Craig Strete
> The Dybbuk Dolls by Jack Dann
> The New Atlantis by Ursula K. Le Guin
> The Warlord of Saturn's Moons by Eleanor Arnason
>
> I have read the Reamy, the Varley, the Bishop, the Le Guin, and the Arnason.

Reamy, Varley, Malzberg, and LeGuin.

> Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?
>
> Catch That Zeppelin! by Fritz Leiber
> Child of All Ages by P. J. Plauger
> Shatterday by Harlan Ellison
> Sail the Tide of Mourning by Richard A. Lupoff
> Time Deer by Craig Strete
> Utopia of a Tired Man by Jorge Luis Borges
> A Scraping at the Bones by Algis Budrys
> Doing Lennon by Gregory Benford
> Attachment by Phyllis Eisenstein
> Find the Lady by Nicholas Fisk
> Growing Up in Edge City by Frederik Pohl
> White Creatures by Gregory Benford
> White Wolf Calling by Charles L. Grant
>
> I have read the Leiber, the Plauger, the Lupoff, the Strete, the
> Budrys, and the Benford.

As far as I can tell, just the Benford. We've reached the years where I am
almost out of my general anthologies and the only short stories I have are
in collections from favorite authors.

> Which 1976 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?
>
> Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks, Mary Shelley and Gene Wilder
> A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison and L. Q. Jones
> Dark Star by John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon
> Rollerball by William Harrison, Norman Jewison and Martin Julien
>
> All but A Boy and His Dog.

I think I've seen all which is very unusual (I don't see many movies),
but this was undergrad years and I was a Cinema Club volunteer to see
movies for free.

For "A Boy and His Dog", the campus newspaper posted an opinion
piece that it shouldn't be shown (anti-women). Ellison was incensed
and came out in person to give an anti-censorship talk!

Chris

Re: Nebula Finalists 1976

<20240325a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97671&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97671

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:51:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:51 UTC

Chris Buckley wrote:
> James Nicoll wrote:
>>
>> Some finalist lists were very long this year. Not sure why.
>
> Yes. I got lots of exercise today - my office is in the basement
> but the books are throughout the house and I made many trips to the
> second floor to remind myself of whether I had that novel or collection.
> (Next time I'll just take a couple of pictures on my phone and do it
> in one trip.)
>
>> Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>>
>> The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
>> The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
>> Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
>> The Female Man by Joanna Russ
>> A Funeral for the Eyes of Fire by Michael Bishop
>> A Midsummer Tempest by Poul Anderson
>> Autumn Angels by Arthur Byron Cover
>> Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny
>> Guernica Night by Barry N. Malzberg
>> Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
>> Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
>> Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow
>> The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee
>> The Computer Connection by Alfred Bester
>> The Embedding by Ian Watson
>> The Exile Waiting by Vonda N. McIntyre
>> The Heritage of Hastur by Marion Zimmer Bradley
>> The Stochastic Man by Robert Silverberg
>>
>> I have read the Haldeman, the N&P, the Delany, the Bishop, the Anderson,
>> the Zelazny (my favourite RZ), the MacLean, the Lee, the Bester (how
>> did it get nominated for an award?), the Watson, the McIntyre, the
>> Bradley, and the Silverberg.
>
> Same read list except I read the Russ and not the Watson.
> _The Forever War, _The Mote in Gods Eye_ and _Doorways in the Sand_ are on
> my Favorite bookcase and several others have been occasionally reread
> (_A Midsummer Tempest_, _The Birthgrave_, _The Heritage of Hastur_).
> A strong year.

Your favorite trio are the only novels on this list read by me. And
_Doorways_ is also my favorite RZ. Here's what others say:

Review by Walton
<https://www.tor.com/2009/08/27/beautiful-poetic-and-experimental-roger-zelaznys-doorways-in-the-sand/>

Review by Ola G
<https://reenchantmentoftheworld.blog/2018/04/01/roger-zelazny-doorways-in-the-sand-1976/>

Review by Jugularjosh
<https://where-there-had-been-darkness.blogspot.com/2013/02/roger-zelazny-book-review-doorways-in.html>

Technology and Ideas
<http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/AuthorSpecAlphaList.asp?BkNum=7>

# # #

As of late, it's come to my attention how much skill it takes for an
author to write in a manner suitable for an audio book. Zelazny is such
an author. And so is PKD.
It probably explains why so many PKD stories are adapted into
screenplays. Some say Lem ranks higher than PKD in adaptation
quantity.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: Nebula Finalists 1976

<utsgk3$183c2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97678&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97678

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:43:15 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:43 UTC

On 25/03/2024 08.47, James Nicoll wrote:
> Some finalist lists were very long this year. Not sure why.
>
> Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?

> The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Read in 1995, might read again some day.

> The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Read at least five times, and will certainly read again.

> Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
Read three or four times, and will certainly read again.

> A Midsummer Tempest by Poul Anderson
Read twice, and a third time is likely.

> The Computer Connection by Alfred Bester
Read in 1997, might read again.

> The Heritage of Hastur by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Tried once, bounced hard, sold.

> The Stochastic Man by Robert Silverberg
On my shelves, but I appear to have not read it.

> Which 1976 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?

> A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison and L. Q. Jones
Not only did I see the film, but before that, I read it in the pulps.

> Dark Star by John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon
Humorous, right? If so, I've seen it.

--
Michael F. Stemper
What happens if you play John Cage's "4'33" at a slower tempo?

Re: Nebula Finalists 1976

<utslln$19p73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97690&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97690

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:09:27 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 20:09 UTC

On 3/25/24 9:47 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Some finalist lists were very long this year. Not sure why.
>
> Which 1976 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>
> The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
> The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
> Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
> The Female Man by Joanna Russ
> A Funeral for the Eyes of Fire by Michael Bishop
> A Midsummer Tempest by Poul Anderson
> Autumn Angels by Arthur Byron Cover
> Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny
> Guernica Night by Barry N. Malzberg
> Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
> Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
> Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow
> The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee
> The Computer Connection by Alfred Bester
> The Embedding by Ian Watson
> The Exile Waiting by Vonda N. McIntyre
> The Heritage of Hastur by Marion Zimmer Bradley
> The Stochastic Man by Robert Silverberg

Holy cow, that's a lot of nominees. Does anyone know why there are so
many nominees for this year as opposed to the ones before it?

What happened?
Tony
P.S. I've read the Haldeman, Niven&Pournelle, Anderson, Zelazny, and Bester.

Re: Nebula Finalists 1976

<utsq72$1au1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97694&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97694

From: wthyde1953@gmail.com (William Hyde)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:26:51 -0400
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 21:26 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:
e > Budrys, and the Benford.

> Which 1976 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?
>
> Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks, Mary Shelley and Gene Wilder
> A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison and L. Q. Jones
> Dark Star by John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon
> Rollerball by William Harrison, Norman Jewison and Martin Julien
>
> All but A Boy and His Dog.

I saw that in a theatre towards the end of its brief run, one of nine
people at the beginning of the film, the only one there at the end.

I didn't dislike it, but was hoping for better.

I remember better the short film showed before the movie. It was
a profile of a skier and I arrived home just after the radio
announced that he had been shot, fatally. By someone who had
been in a movie I saw earlier that week. No fiction writer would
think that plausible.

YF I've seen many times, but only fragments of the others.

William Hyde

Re: Nebula Finalists 1976

<pbs50jprtndc9lavgu7uhbph5rf6srpi1g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97712&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97712

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:04:57 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:04 UTC

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:47:41 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

<snippo>

>Which 1976 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?
>
>Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks, Mary Shelley and Gene Wilder
>A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison and L. Q. Jones
>Dark Star by John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon
>Rollerball by William Harrison, Norman Jewison and Martin Julien
>
>All but A Boy and His Dog.

Not only have I /seen/ all four, I have each and every one of them on
it's very own well-manufactured and packaged DVD.

And you really should see /A Boy and His Dog/.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Nebula Finalists 1976

<uu5hpo$3ru6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97825&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97825

From: noone@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:58:32 +1300
 by: Titus G - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 04:58 UTC

On 26/03/24 10:26, William Hyde wrote:
> James Nicoll wrote: e
>> Budrys, and the Benford.
>>
>> Which 1976 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?
>>
>> Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks, Mary Shelley and Gene Wilder A
>> Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison and L. Q. Jones Dark Star by John
>> Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon Rollerball by William Harrison, Norman
>> Jewison and Martin Julien
>>
>> All but A Boy and His Dog.
>
> I saw that in a theatre towards the end of its brief run, one of
> nine people at the beginning of the film, the only one there at the
> end.
>
> I didn't dislike it, but was hoping for better.

I haven't seen it and will avoid it because the short story by Ellison
alone, is a favourite. I have close female platonic friends and
don't consider myself sexist but was floored by the punch line.
Just guessing, because I haven't read many short stories in recent
years, that mostly short stories from the 60s and 70s did end with a
punchline, a feature which is now not so common.