From: rodiongork@github.com (RodionGork)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Suspicious quote from The Goblin Reservation by C.Simak
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 04:46:34 +0000
 by: RodionGork - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 04:46 UTC

Hi Friends!

Just encountered a quote presumably from "The Goblin Reservation" by Clifford Simak, where certain "quest" is presented:

"It's simple,' shrugged the mayor, pointing to a hill. 'There's a goblin with a grenade launcher settled on that hill, periodically shelling the city. That's basically the problem."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/clifford-simaks-prophetic-vision-goblin-reservation-israels-waizman-sxejf/

But I'm not sure I can trace the original in the texts available to me. Is it from some early / alternative version or just fake?

--
to email me substitute github with gmail please

Re: Suspicious quote from The Goblin Reservation by C.Simak

<uu5iqv$3ru6$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97829&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97829

From: noone@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:16:15 +1300
 by: Titus G - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 05:16 UTC

On 29/03/24 17:46, RodionGork wrote:
> Hi Friends!
>
> Just encountered a quote presumably from "The Goblin Reservation" by
> Clifford Simak, where certain "quest" is presented:
>
> "It's simple,' shrugged the mayor, pointing to a hill. 'There's a goblin
> with a grenade launcher settled on that hill, periodically shelling the
> city. That's basically the problem."
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/clifford-simaks-prophetic-vision-goblin-reservation-israels-waizman-sxejf/
>
> But I'm not sure I can trace the original in the texts available to me.
> Is it from some early / alternative version or just fake?

No results were found for "grenade" nor "mayor" on my copy.

Re: Suspicious quote from The Goblin Reservation by C.Simak

<no1idk-dl6.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97831&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97831

From: grschmidt@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 16:56:07 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 05:56 UTC

On 29/03/2024 15:46, RodionGork wrote:
> Hi Friends!
>
> Just encountered a quote presumably from "The Goblin Reservation" by
> Clifford Simak, where certain "quest" is presented:
>
> "It's simple,' shrugged the mayor, pointing to a hill. 'There's a goblin
> with a grenade launcher settled on that hill, periodically shelling the
> city. That's basically the problem."
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/clifford-simaks-prophetic-vision-goblin-reservation-israels-waizman-sxejf/
>
> But I'm not sure I can trace the original in the texts available to me.
> Is it from some early / alternative version or just fake?

I'd say it's fake, it didn't stir any memories, and it doesn't sound
like Simak.

So I went and found a searchable copy and the word "grenade" does not
appear, nor, indeed , does "mayor" or "launcher".

Only 57 uses of the word "goblin"...

Fake.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: Suspicious quote from The Goblin Reservation by C.Simak

<uucn81$21moi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97906&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97906

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:14:23 +0100
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:14 UTC

On 29/03/2024 04:46, RodionGork wrote:
> Hi Friends!
>
> Just encountered a quote presumably from "The Goblin Reservation" by
> Clifford Simak, where certain "quest" is presented:
>
> "It's simple,' shrugged the mayor, pointing to a hill. 'There's a goblin
> with a grenade launcher settled on that hill, periodically shelling the
> city. That's basically the problem."
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/clifford-simaks-prophetic-vision-goblin-reservation-israels-waizman-sxejf/
>
> But I'm not sure I can trace the original in the texts available to me.
> Is it from some early / alternative version or just fake?

Not Simak according to this link to Quora.
<https://qr.ae/psYURk>. Dated May 7, 2017.

"It’s a story by Russian author Peter Mordkovich,
translated by my friend Marik:
Of Idiots and of Goblin"

I haven't studied this closely, but since the
town feels unable to attack the goblin lethally
because of international reaction, I suspect
it's going to be Russia propaganda for somewhere
that Russia was attacking or was intending to.
Or possibly, a satire against Russian policy
and behaviour. Or maybe about Israel.
Or anywhere.

If you're thinking too early to be Ukraine,
Wikipedia reminds us, correctly or not, that
Russia grabbed Crimea in 2014.

Re: Suspicious quote from The Goblin Reservation by C.Simak

<uucqpe$mcd$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97910&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97910

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 31 Mar 2024 23:14:54 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:14 UTC

Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@gmail.com> wrote:

>If you're thinking too early to be Ukraine,
>Wikipedia reminds us, correctly or not, that
>Russia grabbed Crimea in 2014.

You mean 1783, right?

Of course there was that thing in the 1850s.
--scott