"Just Say No." - Nancy Reagan "No." - Ronald Reagan

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

SubjectAuthor
* (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedJames Nicoll
+* Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedChristian Weisgerber
|`* Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedJames Nicoll
| +* Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedSteve Coltrin
| |`- Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedJames Nicoll
| +* Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedRobert Woodward
| |`* Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedJames Nicoll
| | `- Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedLynn McGuire
| `- Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedChristian Weisgerber
`* Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedLynn McGuire
 `* Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedWolfFan
  `- Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That FailedJames Nicoll

1
(ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<uuemdr$ntn$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97928&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97928

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 16:12:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 16:12 UTC

Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

True believers can change society--though not always in a positive way,
according to these SFF stories...

https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed/

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<slrnv0m740.3i0.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97931&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97931

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:43:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:43 UTC

On 2024-04-01, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

> Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed
>
> https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed/

I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I read _The Mercenary_ in some form[1]
and I don't recognize the description. I don't remember any plot
set on Earth. The CoDominium was a poorly elaborated background
for soldiering on faraway planets, with military exploits more or
less explicitly based on historical events, Pournelle's personal
Korean War experience, and some other military memoirs.

[1] _The Mercenary_ was a fix-up novel of earlier stories. It and
_West of Honor_ were later combined into _Falkenberg's Legion_,
which in turn was later incorporated into _The Prince_. It's
hard to keep track.
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<uufbrf$2o787$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97932&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97932

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:18:23 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:18 UTC

On 4/1/2024 11:12 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed
>
> True believers can change society--though not always in a positive way,
> according to these SFF stories...
>
> https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed/

I have read one of the five, "The Mercenary". Which, was a prequel for
"King David's Spaceship".

Lynn

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<uufbvl$8ms$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97934&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97934

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:20:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:20 UTC

In article <slrnv0m740.3i0.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2024-04-01, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed
>>
>> https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed/
>
>I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I read _The Mercenary_ in some form[1]
>and I don't recognize the description. I don't remember any plot
>set on Earth. The CoDominium was a poorly elaborated background
>for soldiering on faraway planets, with military exploits more or
>less explicitly based on historical events, Pournelle's personal
>Korean War experience, and some other military memoirs.
>

>[1] _The Mercenary_ was a fix-up novel of earlier stories. It and
> _West of Honor_ were later combined into _Falkenberg's Legion_,
> which in turn was later incorporated into _The Prince_. It's
> hard to keep track.

In my Pocket Books MMPB, the first section, Peace With Honor,
is about a senior politician staving off doomsday by, among other
things, exiling a sincere but misguided idealist off to ... Sparta,
I think. The planet, not the Greek city state. There's an unpleasant
complication in that the young man is the politician's daughter.
He exiles her too.

If ISFDB can be believed, Peace With Honor didn't make it
into Legion or Prince. However, for some reason ISFDB doesn't
show Peace as being in Mercenary unless I actually go look
spefically at Mercenary's entry so stuff may be missing.

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<0001HW.2BBB7C0400A4831C70000E64538F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97938&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97938

Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 19:34:28 -0400
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: WolfFan - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:34 UTC

On Apr 1, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
(in article <uufbrf$2o787$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 4/1/2024 11:12 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed
> >
> > True believers can change society--though not always in a positive way,
> > according to these SFF stories...
> >
> > https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed/
>
> I have read one of the five, "The Mercenary". Which, was a prequel for
> "King David's Spaceship".
>
> Lynn

err.. the mercenary is set in the co-dominum/early first empire. King david
is in second empire, several centuries later.

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<m2o7astzt3.fsf@kelutral.omcl.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97939&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97939

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.nntp4.net!news.gegeweb.eu!gegeweb.org!usenet-fr.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: spcoltri@omcl.org (Steve Coltrin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 17:42:48 -0600
 by: Steve Coltrin - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:42 UTC

begin fnord
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:

> In my Pocket Books MMPB, the first section, Peace With Honor,
> is about a senior politician staving off doomsday by, among other
> things, exiling a sincere but misguided idealist off to ... Sparta,
> I think. The planet, not the Greek city state. There's an unpleasant
> complication in that the young man is the politician's daughter.
> He exiles her too.

By removing three words, you made the story much more interesting than
anything Pournelle ever wrote in his life.

--
Steve Coltrin spcoltri@omcl.org
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<uufhlg$mfc$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97940&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97940

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:57:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:57 UTC

In article <m2o7astzt3.fsf@kelutral.omcl.org>,
Steve Coltrin <spcoltri@omcl.org> wrote:
>begin fnord
>jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:
>
>> In my Pocket Books MMPB, the first section, Peace With Honor,
>> is about a senior politician staving off doomsday by, among other
>> things, exiling a sincere but misguided idealist off to ... Sparta,
>> I think. The planet, not the Greek city state. There's an unpleasant
>> complication in that the young man is the politician's daughter.
>> He exiles her too.
>
>By removing three words, you made the story much more interesting than
>anything Pournelle ever wrote in his life.

AUGH fiance! The idealist is the daughter's fiance!

I think the source of the confusion is that JEP wrote two different things
with the same title. The Mercenary can refer to the fix up as a whole
or the novelette it includes and from which the fix up took its title.

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<uufhmu$mfc$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97941&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97941

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:58:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:58 UTC

In article <0001HW.2BBB7C0400A4831C70000E64538F@news.supernews.com>,
WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>On Apr 1, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
>(in article <uufbrf$2o787$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 4/1/2024 11:12 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> > Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed
>> >
>> > True believers can change society--though not always in a positive way,
>> > according to these SFF stories...
>> >

>https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed/
>>
>> I have read one of the five, "The Mercenary". Which, was a prequel for
>> "King David's Spaceship".
>>
>> Lynn
>
>err.. the mercenary is set in the co-dominum/early first empire. King david
>is in second empire, several centuries later.

It's a prequel in the sense The Pillars of the Earth is a prequel to Shogun.

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<robertaw-C81F9F.22011001042024@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97945&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97945

From: robertaw@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 22:01:10 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 05:01 UTC

In article <uufbvl$8ms$1@reader1.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <slrnv0m740.3i0.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> >On 2024-04-01, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed
> >>
> >> https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed
> >> /
> >
> >I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I read _The Mercenary_ in some form[1]
> >and I don't recognize the description. I don't remember any plot
> >set on Earth. The CoDominium was a poorly elaborated background
> >for soldiering on faraway planets, with military exploits more or
> >less explicitly based on historical events, Pournelle's personal
> >Korean War experience, and some other military memoirs.
> >

> >[1] _The Mercenary_ was a fix-up novel of earlier stories. It and
> > _West of Honor_ were later combined into _Falkenberg's Legion_,
> > which in turn was later incorporated into _The Prince_. It's
> > hard to keep track.
>
> In my Pocket Books MMPB, the first section, Peace With Honor,
> is about a senior politician staving off doomsday by, among other
> things, exiling a sincere but misguided idealist off to ... Sparta,
> I think. The planet, not the Greek city state. There's an unpleasant
> complication in that the young man is the politician's daughter.
> He exiles her too.
>
> If ISFDB can be believed, Peace With Honor didn't make it
> into Legion or Prince. However, for some reason ISFDB doesn't
> show Peace as being in Mercenary unless I actually go look
> spefically at Mercenary's entry so stuff may be missing.

I don't have a copy of _Falkenberg's Legion_, but the text of "Peace
with Honor" (though perhaps lightly revised) is present in the initial
chapters of the omnibus _The Prince_. BTW, the copyright and table of
contents give not hint of this.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<uuh3aj$5dc$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97949&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97949

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:05:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:05 UTC

In article <robertaw-C81F9F.22011001042024@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <uufbvl$8ms$1@reader1.panix.com>,
> jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> In article <slrnv0m740.3i0.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
>> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed
>> >
>> >I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I read _The Mercenary_ in some form[1]
>> >and I don't recognize the description. I don't remember any plot
>> >set on Earth. The CoDominium was a poorly elaborated background
>> >for soldiering on faraway planets, with military exploits more or
>> >less explicitly based on historical events, Pournelle's personal
>> >Korean War experience, and some other military memoirs.
>> >

>> >[1] _The Mercenary_ was a fix-up novel of earlier stories. It and
>> > _West of Honor_ were later combined into _Falkenberg's Legion_,
>> > which in turn was later incorporated into _The Prince_. It's
>> > hard to keep track.
>>
>> In my Pocket Books MMPB, the first section, Peace With Honor,
>> is about a senior politician staving off doomsday by, among other
>> things, exiling a sincere but misguided idealist off to ... Sparta,
>> I think. The planet, not the Greek city state. There's an unpleasant
>> complication in that the young man is the politician's daughter.
>> He exiles her too.
>>
>> If ISFDB can be believed, Peace With Honor didn't make it
>> into Legion or Prince. However, for some reason ISFDB doesn't
>> show Peace as being in Mercenary unless I actually go look
>> spefically at Mercenary's entry so stuff may be missing.
>
>I don't have a copy of _Falkenberg's Legion_, but the text of "Peace
>with Honor" (though perhaps lightly revised) is present in the initial
>chapters of the omnibus _The Prince_. BTW, the copyright and table of
>contents give not hint of this.

I don't think ISFDB links stories to fix-ups that incorporate those
stories. They just mention the connection in the fix-ups entry. That
would explain some of the gaps.

It's weird, the ReacTor poster who accused me of not reading The
Mercenary hasn't acknowledged his error yet. Must be terribly busy.
Hope they don't overwork themselves.

Oh, speaking of ReacTor: I tried to include two links in my reply and
it would not let me post. No explanation, just no action. Took both
links out and it was OK.

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<uuhujo$3ert7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97973&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97973

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:50:47 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:50 UTC

On 4/2/2024 9:05 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <robertaw-C81F9F.22011001042024@news.individual.net>,
> Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>> In article <uufbvl$8ms$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>> jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>> https://reactormag.com/five-sff-books-about-idealistic-pursuits-that-failed

>>> In my Pocket Books MMPB, the first section, Peace With Honor,
>>> is about a senior politician staving off doomsday by, among other
>>> things, exiling a sincere but misguided idealist off to ... Sparta,
>>> I think. The planet, not the Greek city state. There's an unpleasant
>>> complication in that the young man is the politician's daughter.
>>> He exiles her too.
>>>
>>> If ISFDB can be believed, Peace With Honor didn't make it
>>> into Legion or Prince. However, for some reason ISFDB doesn't
>>> show Peace as being in Mercenary unless I actually go look
>>> spefically at Mercenary's entry so stuff may be missing.
>>
>> I don't have a copy of _Falkenberg's Legion_, but the text of "Peace
>> with Honor" (though perhaps lightly revised) is present in the initial
>> chapters of the omnibus _The Prince_. BTW, the copyright and table of
>> contents give not hint of this.
>>
> I don't think ISFDB links stories to fix-ups that incorporate those
> stories. They just mention the connection in the fix-ups entry. That
> would explain some of the gaps.
>
> It's weird, the ReacTor poster who accused me of not reading The
> Mercenary hasn't acknowledged his error yet. Must be terribly busy.
> Hope they don't overwork themselves.
>
> Oh, speaking of ReacTor: I tried to include two links in my reply and
> it would not let me post. No explanation, just no action. Took both
> links out and it was OK.

Huh, nobody has accused me of not reading the book on reddit. But, they
continuously accuse me of being an AI. The funny thing is that I would
think that an AI review would be much better than mine.

Lynn

Re: (ReacTor) Five SFF Books About Idealistic Pursuits That Failed

<slrnv0rckh.3rq.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97989&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97989

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 19:48:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 19:48 UTC

On 2024-04-01, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

> In my Pocket Books MMPB, the first section, Peace With Honor,
> is about a senior politician staving off doomsday by, among other
> things, exiling a sincere but misguided idealist off to ... Sparta,
> I think. The planet, not the Greek city state. There's an unpleasant
> complication in that the young man is the politician's daughter.
> He exiles her too.

Okay, taking _Falkenberg's Legion_ from the bookshelf and leafing
through it, I see that the first four chapters of "Part Two: Mercenary"
indeed seem to match that description.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de