Xerox never comes up with anything original.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

SubjectAuthor
* "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinleinted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinDon
||`* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinTony Nance
|| `* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinDon
||  `- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinTony Nance
|`- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinScott Lurndal
+* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinLynn McGuire
|`* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinDimensional Traveler
| +* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinScott Dorsey
| |+- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinPaul S Person
| |`- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinDimensional Traveler
| +- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinWilliam Hyde
| `* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinMichael F. Stemper
|  `* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinleinted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|   `- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinPaul S Person
+- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinPaul S Person
+* Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinWilliam Hyde
|`- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinPaul S Person
`- Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. HeinleinMike Van Pelt

1
"Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uuq2qb$1luku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98031&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98031

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:51:37 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 23:51 UTC

"Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/

The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books. I read
the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth time
published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990. The book was first
published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very bad shape
(the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped off), that I may
have stolen from my father. I plan to reread the other four books in
the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The Pankera" for the first time.

It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
remember much so I read it again. The book is mainly a group of
novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing. The
book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in a
Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will. He wants to die and tried
to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and moved into
the rejuvenation clinic. BTW, the rejuvenation process is never
explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain replacement with a
clone.

If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
would advise you to stay away from this book and series. Except for the
first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children". All of the books,
except the first book, have group marriages in them which was first
expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.

The book series is
1. Methuselah's Children
2. Time Enough For Love
3. The Number Of The Beast
4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset

Jo Walton says that "Time Enough For Love" is not Heinlein's worst novel
by far, but, it is too long.
https://reactormag.com/heinleins-worst-novel/

There is a very long Wikipedia entry at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love

There is a much better review by James Nicoll at:
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/not-the-worst-heinlein-novel

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 of out 5 stars (2,345 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l7bifcF48iuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98032&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98032

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
Date: 6 Apr 2024 00:14:36 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 00:14 UTC

In article <uuq2qb$1luku$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>"Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
> https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>
>The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books. I read
>the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth time
>published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990. The book was first
>published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very bad shape
>(the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped off), that I may
>have stolen from my father. I plan to reread the other four books in
>the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The Pankera" for the first time.
>
>It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
>remember much so I read it again. The book is mainly a group of
>novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing. The
>book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in a
>Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will. He wants to die and tried
>to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and moved into
>the rejuvenation clinic. BTW, the rejuvenation process is never
>explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain replacement with a
>clone.
>
>If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
>would advise you to stay away from this book and series. Except for the
>first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children". All of the books,
>except the first book, have group marriages in them which was first
>expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.
>
>The book series is
>1. Methuselah's Children
>2. Time Enough For Love
>3. The Number Of The Beast
>4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
>5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
>6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset
>
>Jo Walton says that "Time Enough For Love" is not Heinlein's worst novel
>by far, but, it is too long.
> https://reactormag.com/heinleins-worst-novel/
>
>There is a very long Wikipedia entry at:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love
>
>There is a much better review by James Nicoll at:
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/not-the-worst-heinlein-novel
>
>My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
>Amazon rating: 4.6 of out 5 stars (2,345 reviews)
>
>Lynn

My impression, having not read it since the late 70s, is that whether it
was intended that way or not, it is a "fix-up", so you can take the segments
that are excellent as they come, and not agonize that the parts you don't
like will taint the rest.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240405a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98033&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98033

Followup: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:21:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:21 UTC

Ted Nolanwrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>"Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
>> https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>>
>>The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books. I read
>>the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth time
>>published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990. The book was first
>>published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very bad shape
>>(the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped off), that I may
>>have stolen from my father. I plan to reread the other four books in
>>the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The Pankera" for the first time.
>>
>>It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
>>remember much so I read it again. The book is mainly a group of
>>novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing. The
>>book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in a
>>Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will. He wants to die and tried
>>to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and moved into
>>the rejuvenation clinic. BTW, the rejuvenation process is never
>>explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain replacement with a
>>clone.
>>
>>If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
>>would advise you to stay away from this book and series. Except for the
>>first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children". All of the books,
>>except the first book, have group marriages in them which was first
>>expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.
>>
>>The book series is
>>1. Methuselah's Children
>>2. Time Enough For Love
>>3. The Number Of The Beast
>>4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
>>5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
>>6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset
>>
>>Jo Walton says that "Time Enough For Love" is not Heinlein's worst novel
>>by far, but, it is too long.
>> https://reactormag.com/heinleins-worst-novel/
>>
>>There is a very long Wikipedia entry at:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love
>>
>>There is a much better review by James Nicoll at:
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/not-the-worst-heinlein-novel
>>
>>My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
>>Amazon rating: 4.6 of out 5 stars (2,345 reviews)
>
> My impression, having not read it since the late 70s, is that whether it
> was intended that way or not, it is a "fix-up", so you can take the segments
> that are excellent as they come, and not agonize that the parts you don't
> like will taint the rest.

"Chee," said Murgatroyd conversationally, in his shrill treble.

During this evening's dog walk Microsoft David started to narrate
"Ribbon in the Sky," the last story in Leinster's MedShip tetralogy.
The tetralogy's so enjoyable - filled with notions of potions of
dextrethyl vapor, polysulphate, magnesium sulphate and ether - it calls
for an immediate encore.
After the MedShip redux's done, there will be time enough to give
_Time Enough for Love_ a second chance. Only this time through it'll be
heard, not read.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uuqk66$1t2te$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98035&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98035

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 23:48:04 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 04:48 UTC

On 4/5/2024 6:51 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
>    https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>
> The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books.  I read
> the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth time
> published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990.  The book was first
> published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very bad shape
> (the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped off), that I may
> have stolen from my father.  I plan to reread the other four books in
> the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The Pankera" for the first time.
>
> It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
> remember much so I read it again.  The book is mainly a group of
> novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing.  The
> book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in a
> Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will.  He wants to die and tried
> to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and moved into
> the rejuvenation clinic.  BTW, the rejuvenation process is never
> explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain replacement with a
> clone.
>
> If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
> would advise you to stay away from this book and series.  Except for the
> first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children".  All of the books,
> except the first book, have group marriages in them which was first
> expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.
>
> The book series is
> 1. Methuselah's Children
> 2. Time Enough For Love
> 3. The Number Of The Beast
> 4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
> 5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
> 6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset
>
> Jo Walton says that "Time Enough For Love" is not Heinlein's worst novel
> by far, but, it is too long.
>    https://reactormag.com/heinleins-worst-novel/
>
> There is a very long Wikipedia entry at:
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love
>
> There is a much better review by James Nicoll at:
>    https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/not-the-worst-heinlein-novel
>
> My rating:  6 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.6 of out 5 stars (2,345 reviews)
>
> Lynn

I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me.
Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits
a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet. By
that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.

Lynn

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uuqptc$1u84g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98038&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98038

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 23:25:52 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 06:25 UTC

On 4/5/2024 9:48 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 6:51 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>>
>> The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books.  I
>> read the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth time
>> published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990.  The book was
>> first published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very bad
>> shape (the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped off),
>> that I may have stolen from my father.  I plan to reread the other
>> four books in the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The Pankera"
>> for the first time.
>>
>> It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
>> remember much so I read it again.  The book is mainly a group of
>> novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing.
>> The book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in a
>> Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will.  He wants to die and
>> tried to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and moved
>> into the rejuvenation clinic.  BTW, the rejuvenation process is never
>> explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain replacement with
>> a clone.
>>
>> If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
>> would advise you to stay away from this book and series.  Except for
>> the first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children".  All of the
>> books, except the first book, have group marriages in them which was
>> first expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.
>>
>> The book series is
>> 1. Methuselah's Children
>> 2. Time Enough For Love
>> 3. The Number Of The Beast
>> 4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
>> 5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
>> 6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset
>>
>> Jo Walton says that "Time Enough For Love" is not Heinlein's worst
>> novel by far, but, it is too long.
>>     https://reactormag.com/heinleins-worst-novel/
>>
>> There is a very long Wikipedia entry at:
>>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love
>>
>> There is a much better review by James Nicoll at:
>>     https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/not-the-worst-heinlein-novel
>>
>> My rating:  6 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating:  4.6 of out 5 stars (2,345 reviews)
>>
>> Lynn
>
> I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me.
> Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits
> a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet.  By
> that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.

And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated
assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.

dirty old man.

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uurefq$22old$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98041&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98041

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 08:16:56 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 12:16 UTC

On 4/5/24 10:21 PM, Don wrote:
> Ted Nolanwrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>>>
>>> The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books. I read
>>> the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth time
>>> published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990. The book was first
>>> published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very bad shape
>>> (the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped off), that I may
>>> have stolen from my father. I plan to reread the other four books in
>>> the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The Pankera" for the first time.
>>>
>>> It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
>>> remember much so I read it again. The book is mainly a group of
>>> novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing. The
>>> book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in a
>>> Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will. He wants to die and tried
>>> to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and moved into
>>> the rejuvenation clinic. BTW, the rejuvenation process is never
>>> explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain replacement with a
>>> clone.
>>>
>>> If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
>>> would advise you to stay away from this book and series. Except for the
>>> first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children". All of the books,
>>> except the first book, have group marriages in them which was first
>>> expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.
>>>
>>> The book series is
>>> 1. Methuselah's Children
>>> 2. Time Enough For Love
>>> 3. The Number Of The Beast
>>> 4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
>>> 5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
>>> 6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset
>>>
>>> Jo Walton says that "Time Enough For Love" is not Heinlein's worst novel
>>> by far, but, it is too long.
>>> https://reactormag.com/heinleins-worst-novel/
>>>
>>> There is a very long Wikipedia entry at:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love
>>>
>>> There is a much better review by James Nicoll at:
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/not-the-worst-heinlein-novel
>>>
>>> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating: 4.6 of out 5 stars (2,345 reviews)
>>
>> My impression, having not read it since the late 70s, is that whether it
>> was intended that way or not, it is a "fix-up", so you can take the segments
>> that are excellent as they come, and not agonize that the parts you don't
>> like will taint the rest.
>
> "Chee," said Murgatroyd conversationally, in his shrill treble.
>
> During this evening's dog walk Microsoft David started to narrate
> "Ribbon in the Sky," the last story in Leinster's MedShip tetralogy.

Turns out Leinster wrote 8 MedShip stories - all 8 are collected in the
Baen volume Med Ship, and I'm pretty sure you could find the ones you
haven't read in other places as well.

Tony

> The tetralogy's so enjoyable - filled with notions of potions of
> dextrethyl vapor, polysulphate, magnesium sulphate and ether - it calls
> for an immediate encore. > After the MedShip redux's done, there will be time enough to give
> _Time Enough for Love_ a second chance. Only this time through it'll be
> heard, not read.
>
> Danke,

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240406b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98044&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98044

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:07:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:07 UTC

Tony Nance wrote:
> Don wrote:

<snip>

>> "Chee," said Murgatroyd conversationally, in his shrill treble.
>>
>> During this evening's dog walk Microsoft David started to narrate
>> "Ribbon in the Sky," the last story in Leinster's MedShip tetralogy.
>
> Turns out Leinster wrote 8 MedShip stories - all 8 are collected in the
> Baen volume Med Ship, and I'm pretty sure you could find the ones you
> haven't read in other places as well.

You are indeed correct. It's hard to say what gave me the idea it was a
mere tetralogy when it's actually two tetralogies tangled together, so
to speak, or an octology, as they say.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uurhp5$23g15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98045&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98045

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:13:09 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:13 UTC

On 4/6/24 9:07 AM, Don wrote:
> Tony Nance wrote:
>> Don wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> "Chee," said Murgatroyd conversationally, in his shrill treble.
>>>
>>> During this evening's dog walk Microsoft David started to narrate
>>> "Ribbon in the Sky," the last story in Leinster's MedShip tetralogy.
>>
>> Turns out Leinster wrote 8 MedShip stories - all 8 are collected in the
>> Baen volume Med Ship, and I'm pretty sure you could find the ones you
>> haven't read in other places as well.
>
> You are indeed correct. It's hard to say what gave me the idea it was a
> mere tetralogy when it's actually two tetralogies tangled together, so
> to speak, or an octology, as they say.

...and is surely a better term than duo-tetralogy.
- Tony, and tetraduology is right out

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<EjdQN.493621$yEgf.234271@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98046&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98046

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 14:51:16 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:51 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>In article <uuq2qb$1luku$1@dont-email.me>,
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>"Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
>> https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>>

>My impression, having not read it since the late 70s, is that whether it
>was intended that way or not, it is a "fix-up", so you can take the segments
>that are excellent as they come, and not agonize that the parts you don't
>like will taint the rest.

Not sure 'bout the fixup part, but there are nuggets buried in the
dross that are worth a read. The twins that weren't, the man that
was too lazy to fail, and the tale of the adopted daughter, for example.

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uuror8$3ap$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98047&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98047

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 6 Apr 2024 15:13:44 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:13 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 4/5/2024 9:48 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>> I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me.
>> Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits
>> a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet.  By
>> that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.
>>
>And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated
>assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.

I am inclined to believe it's somewhere in the ballpark, though. We really
need to be exploring and moving to new planets.

I do think that limit would seem to be kind of dependent on the size of the
planet, though.
--scott

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<ksq21jlbfujo5eab56v3v5b7vd4oh4hmoq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98048&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98048

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 08:35:00 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:35 UTC

On 6 Apr 2024 15:13:44 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>On 4/5/2024 9:48 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>
>>> I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me.
>>> Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits
>>> a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet.  By
>>> that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.
>>>
>>And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated
>>assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.
>
>I am inclined to believe it's somewhere in the ballpark, though. We really
>need to be exploring and moving to new planets.
>
>I do think that limit would seem to be kind of dependent on the size of the
>planet, though.

Some of us reached that conclusion long ago.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<qtq21jtkhvf3pvi1rh811gvrrvvp3op9r8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98049&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98049

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 08:37:13 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:37 UTC

On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:51:37 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
> https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>
>The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books. I read
>the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth time
>published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990. The book was first
>published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very bad shape
>(the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped off), that I may
>have stolen from my father. I plan to reread the other four books in
>the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The Pankera" for the first time.
>
>It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
>remember much so I read it again. The book is mainly a group of
>novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing. The
>book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in a
>Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will. He wants to die and tried
>to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and moved into
>the rejuvenation clinic. BTW, the rejuvenation process is never
>explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain replacement with a
>clone.
>
>If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
>would advise you to stay away from this book and series. Except for the
>first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children". All of the books,
>except the first book, have group marriages in them which was first
>expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.
>
>The book series is
>1. Methuselah's Children
>2. Time Enough For Love
>3. The Number Of The Beast
>4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
>5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
>6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset

I would suggest that /The Pursuit of the Pankera/ renders /The Number
of the Beast/ wholly superfluous.

--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uurv9g$26n9o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98050&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98050

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 10:03:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:03 UTC

On 4/6/2024 8:13 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 4/5/2024 9:48 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>
>>> I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me.
>>> Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits
>>> a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet.  By
>>> that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.
>>>
>> And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated
>> assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.
>
> I am inclined to believe it's somewhere in the ballpark, though. We really
> need to be exploring and moving to new planets.
>
> I do think that limit would seem to be kind of dependent on the size of the
> planet, though.
> --scott

"All your eggs in one basket" problem versus the size of the basket problem.

dirty old man.

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uus7al$28nn7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98051&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98051

From: wthyde1953@gmail.com (William Hyde)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:20:37 -0400
 by: William Hyde - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:20 UTC

Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 9:48 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 4/5/2024 6:51 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Time-Enough-Love-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441810764/
>>>
>>> The second book in a very loose series of science fiction books.  I
>>> read the well printed and well bound MMPB for the third of fourth
>>> time published by Ace in 1988 that I bought new in 1990.  The book
>>> was first published in 1973 by Putnam that I have a copy of, in very
>>> bad shape (the spine is unglued and half of back cover is ripped
>>> off), that I may have stolen from my father.  I plan to reread the
>>> other four books in the series eventually plus "The Pursuit Of The
>>> Pankera" for the first time.
>>>
>>> It has been 25 years or more since I read this book and I could not
>>> remember much so I read it again.  The book is mainly a group of
>>> novelettes tied together as a biography with huge sections missing.
>>> The book starts out when Lazarus Long is over 2,000 years old and in
>>> a Howard Rejuvenation clinic against his will.  He wants to die and
>>> tried to do so but was found by his great*something grandson and
>>> moved into the rejuvenation clinic.  BTW, the rejuvenation process is
>>> never explained but it sounds like a compete body and brain
>>> replacement with a clone.
>>>
>>> If you are offended by sex, and I mean lots of sex, in a book then I
>>> would advise you to stay away from this book and series.  Except for
>>> the first book in the series, "Methusalah's Children".  All of the
>>> books, except the first book, have group marriages in them which was
>>> first expounded by Heinlein in "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" book.
>>>
>>> The book series is
>>> 1. Methuselah's Children
>>> 2. Time Enough For Love
>>> 3. The Number Of The Beast
>>> 4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
>>> 5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
>>> 6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset
>>>
>>> Jo Walton says that "Time Enough For Love" is not Heinlein's worst
>>> novel by far, but, it is too long.
>>>     https://reactormag.com/heinleins-worst-novel/
>>>
>>> There is a very long Wikipedia entry at:
>>>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love
>>>
>>> There is a much better review by James Nicoll at:
>>>     https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/not-the-worst-heinlein-novel
>>>
>>> My rating:  6 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating:  4.6 of out 5 stars (2,345 reviews)
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me.
>> Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet
>> hits a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new
>> planet.  By that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new
>> planets from Earth.
>>
> And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated
> assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.

The sayings of LL were collected and sold as a separate book.

This may have been a financial boon to RAH but when read all atonce the
sayings did not impress. When read sparingly the better ones stick in
the mind. When read all at once it is the worst ones that get remembered.

William Hyde

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uus8ud$292r3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98052&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98052

From: wthyde1953@gmail.com (William Hyde)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:48:21 -0400
 by: William Hyde - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:48 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
> [...]
>
> The book series is
> 1. Methuselah's Children

An enjoyable read.

> 2. Time Enough For Love

I've read it twice and do not regret it. I do slightly regret the loss
of the fine novel (or set of short stories) that are embedded in TEFL
but I note that there are those, not all in the SF or Heinlein-fan
community, who consider this a great book. It is very far from his worst
novel, if perhaps a bit farther from his best.

> 3. The Number Of The Beast

Gharlane's excuse for this is that the book is an extended essay by
Heinlein on how not to write a novel. Even were this true - and while
Gharlane knew far more about RAH than I do, I find that hard to believe
- it would be no reason to inflict this mess on his readers.

I never bought another Heinlein after this (I had already given him a
pass for IWFNE - fool me twice ...), but I received the rest as gifts.

After TEFL I was really, really, looking forward to his next book. In my
disappointment I probably thought it worse than it was (I've done this
in other cases, with other writers) but I've never been able to make
myself give it a second try.

> 4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera

This I've only just heard of. Is it TNOTB without the lessons Gharlane
is talking about? If so it might be worth a read.

> 5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
> 6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset

I finished both of these. I lack the words to say how much I disliked
them. I was not expecting them to be good, so there was no sense of
disappointment with the latter, and only a tiny amount with the former.

William Hyde

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<vfe51jpbuegpu4br36hab1e3in6ejorcni@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98054&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98054

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 08:26:50 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:26 UTC

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:48:21 -0400, William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein
>> [...]
>>
>> The book series is
>> 1. Methuselah's Children
>
>An enjoyable read.
>

>> 2. Time Enough For Love
>
>I've read it twice and do not regret it. I do slightly regret the loss
>of the fine novel (or set of short stories) that are embedded in TEFL
>but I note that there are those, not all in the SF or Heinlein-fan
>community, who consider this a great book. It is very far from his worst
>novel, if perhaps a bit farther from his best.
>
>> 3. The Number Of The Beast
>
>Gharlane's excuse for this is that the book is an extended essay by
>Heinlein on how not to write a novel. Even were this true - and while
>Gharlane knew far more about RAH than I do, I find that hard to believe
>- it would be no reason to inflict this mess on his readers.
>
>I never bought another Heinlein after this (I had already given him a
>pass for IWFNE - fool me twice ...), but I received the rest as gifts.
>
>After TEFL I was really, really, looking forward to his next book. In my
>disappointment I probably thought it worse than it was (I've done this
>in other cases, with other writers) but I've never been able to make
>myself give it a second try.
>
>> 4. The Pursuit Of The Pankera
>
>This I've only just heard of. Is it TNOTB without the lessons Gharlane
>is talking about? If so it might be worth a read.

It starts out identical to TNOTB (the Kindle I read had a note
indicating the point of divergence) but the bulk of the story is quite
different and, to my mind, a much better read.

Having read your summary of Gharlane's excuse, I have no idea what it
means. But then, I am not an author, so I may simply have missed it.

>> 5. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
>> 6. To Sail Beyond The Sunset
>
>I finished both of these. I lack the words to say how much I disliked
>them. I was not expecting them to be good, so there was no sense of
>disappointment with the latter, and only a tiny amount with the former.

Those were two of several that were not on Kindle during my Great
Heinlein Re-read. I don't think I have ever read them.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uvhutm$3tkq3$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98202&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98202

From: usenet@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 01:12:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 01:12 UTC

In article <uuq2qb$1luku$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>"Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

I will say, though, that "The Tale of the Adopted Daughter"
may be the best thing Heinlein ever wrote. Marginally SF;
in most respects seems more like a Western than SF,and I
don't believe for a minute that a planet would actually be
colonized that way, but still... wonderful story.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<uvjbep$adch$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98213&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98213

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:52:25 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:52 UTC

On 06/04/2024 01.25, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 9:48 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>> I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me. Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet.  By that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.
>>
> And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.

What were those assumptions? I had the impression that LL said that
because of his (or Heinlein's) belief that a planet would get too
organized/regimented with such a large population. That, of course,
is a matter of taste rather than any objective truth.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l84r8aFt0niU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98214&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98214

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 15 Apr 2024 14:17:46 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:17 UTC

In article <uvjbep$adch$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 06/04/2024 01.25, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 4/5/2024 9:48 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>>> I forgot one thing out of the book that made an impression to me.
>Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits
>a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet.  By
>that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.
>>>
>> And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated
>assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.
>
>What were those assumptions? I had the impression that LL said that
>because of his (or Heinlein's) belief that a planet would get too
>organized/regimented with such a large population. That, of course,
>is a matter of taste rather than any objective truth.

That's my memory, and that it was tied to requiring ID cards.

It's a farily common sentiment. Supposedly Lincoln's father said
when you could see the smoke from your neighbor's chimney, the
neighboorhood was getting too crowded, and it was time to move.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

<pljq1jpvq2nmic3s97e5j754832d829tgj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98217&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98217

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:00:48 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:00 UTC

On 15 Apr 2024 14:17:46 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <uvjbep$adch$1@dont-email.me>,
>Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Lazarus Long tells his great*something grandson that when a planet hits
>>a population of a billion, it is time to move on to a new planet.  By
>>that measure, it is WAY past time to move on to new planets from Earth.
>>>>
>>> And that bit of advice from Lazarus Long is based on out-dated
>>assumptions that weren't even accurate when those books were written.
>>
>>What were those assumptions? I had the impression that LL said that
>>because of his (or Heinlein's) belief that a planet would get too
>>organized/regimented with such a large population. That, of course,
>>is a matter of taste rather than any objective truth.
>>

>That's my memory, and that it was tied to requiring ID cards.
>
>It's a farily common sentiment. Supposedly Lincoln's father said
>when you could see the smoke from your neighbor's chimney, the
>neighboorhood was getting too crowded, and it was time to move.

Exactly.

It's just a manifestation of Pioneer Spirit. There's an entire song
("Wand'rin Star") about it in /Paint Your Wagon/.