Beware of low-flying butterflies.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies

SubjectAuthor
* Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Tony Nance
+* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Scott Lurndal
|+* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||`* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Tony Nance
|| +* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Scott Lurndal
|| |`- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Tony Nance
|| `* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||  `- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Tony Nance
|`* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Tony Nance
| `* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Robert Woodward
|  `- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Tony Nance
`* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Titus G
 `* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Dimensional Traveler
  `* The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies Was: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024Titus G
   `* Re: The Prefect Dreyfus EmergenciesTitus G
    `- Re: The Prefect Dreyfus EmergenciesTony Nance

1
Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<urtjgk$1f04a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97075&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97075

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:06:12 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:06 UTC

Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

Books are listed in reverse chronological order from how I read them,
using a very primitive rating system:
“+” are good, and more “+” are better
“-“ are not good, and more “-“ are worse

I’m happy to answer questions about anything on the list.

Highlight - Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21]

Lowlight - Hm. I don’t think anything earned being a lowlight this time.
Lucky me!

Here’s a quick summary of what’s more in-depth below:
( ++++ ) Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21]
( ++ ) Reap the East Wind - Cook [Dread Empire]
( +++ ) Still River - Hal Clement
( ++ 1/2 ) Servant of the Dragon - Drake [Lord of the Isles #3]
( ++ 1/2 ) Chateau d’If and Other Stories - Vance (collection)
( ++ - ) World of Ptavvs - Niven
( ++ ) The Cyborg and the Sorcerors - Watt-Evans [War Surplus #1 of 2]
( ++ 1/2 ) His Father’s Eyes - Coe [Justis Fearsson #2]
( ++ 1/2 ) The October Man - Aaronovitch (novella) [Rivers of London
universe]
( +++ ) Slow Bullets - Reynolds (novella)

Now Reading:
Long work - I don’t know - nothing is currently jumping out at me
Collection - Memory’s Legion - Corey [Expanse collection]

( ++++ ) Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21] NOTE: Steve Miller
passed away less than a week before I read this. It truly was the next
thing on the short stack, but I would have picked it next anyway given
the circumstances.

Holy cow, this was great - one of my very favorite entries in the entire
series (a high bar indeed). The last several chapters are superb, as
many different plot threads that have been brewing over several books
come to a head, and Val Con and Miri have quite a day dealing with them
in their co-position as delm of Clan Korval. Subtract the very last
chapter, and this could function as a serviceable series-ender, though
there are many many directions the series could go forward. The last
chapter is clearly a stepping off point to one specific direction, but
I’m sure they’ll fold some of the other ones in along the way.

( ++ ) Reap the East Wind - Cook [Dread Empire]
Glen Cook is one of my very favorite authors, but for me the Dread
Empire series is only almost-as-good as his Black Company and Garrett
P.I. series. The series has a lot of the Cook hallmarks - big sprawly
world, lots of well-drawn characters, tons of intrigue, but it’s
so…pessimistic, I guess? Anyhow, there are only two volumes left in the
series after this one. This one started slowly for me, partly because it
had been so very long since I read the previous one. There are huge
world-wide implications playing out with the Shinsan fighting wars on
two fronts *and* trying to destroy Bragi; Mist has designs on taking
over the Shinsan, using an uneasy alliance with Bragi. Varthlokkur and
Nepanthe are having a baby, but there are signs that Nepanthe’s son
Ethrian may not be as dead as everyone thinks. Feels like things are
winding up - two more to go.

( +++ ) Still River - Hal Clement
Until I read Neogenesis, this was the clear highlight of the month. This
is an excellent Clement story from 1987 - 5 “student” scientists of 5
different galactic civilizations/species are teamed together to complete
a prestigious degree-type program (or certification-type, perhaps) by
exploring the tiny planet Enigma. Enigma is a very odd planet, and has
been a study site for projects for 100s (1000s?) of years. Neat science,
neat scientific puzzles, neat teamwork … I mean, it’s Clement, right?
Humans are portrayed as being rather new to the galactic community, and
team member Molly is one of the very first humans to embark on this
program. (I say “student” above because Molly is 27, and has a husband &
child, and we are — purposely, I believe — not given the stage of
maturity/development for the team members from the other species.)

( ++ 1/2 ) Servant of the Dragon - Drake [Lord of the Isles #3]
Good! Started slowly, but became really good in the last 1/2 - 1/3 of
the book. Similar to the structure of #2, this one sees the 6 main
characters get separated into 4 places. Ilna gains two…companions, I
guess; all 4 groups solve/survive their issues and converge back
together near the end to sort-of-solve their largest collective problem
- a rogue, ancient wizard who wishes to rule the world (of course!).
There’s some pretty decent character development in this one too -
especially seeing Garric grow into his leadership (with help from
Carus). I will surely read #4.

( ++ 1/2 ) Chateau d’If and Other Stories - Vance (collection)
A pretty good assortment of stories Vance wrote from 1946 - 1967,
including “Nopalgarth” (which is often listed as the 3rd in the
Nopalgarth universe, including at isfdb). Very interesting stories, a
few of which are excellent. The earliest stories read like
“almost-Vance”, as you can see his style developing but it's not quite
there yet, including the very good title story “Chateau d’If”.

( ++ - ) World of Ptavvs - Niven
This was fine/okay. Some places say this is Niven’s first novel. The
first half dragged, but the second half was considerably better. The
style was a bit annoying - tons of characters and numerous unlabeled
swaps of scene & viewpoint from page to page, sometimes even from
paragraph to paragraph; there are also characters named Larry, Lit, Lew,
Luke, and Lloyd, who I simply couldn’t keep straight. An ancient alien
buried/dormant in a stasis field gets inadvertently wakened & freed; he
takes telepathic control of humans, intending to enslave the entire
solar system (and eventually the galaxy). Some key people on Earth and
in the Belt — erstwhile enemies — hesitantly team up to try to thwart
the alien.

( ++ ) The Cyborg and the Sorcerors - Watt-Evans [War Surplus #1 of 2]
Interesting, early Watt-Evans - All the hallmarks of a typical LWE
protagonist - inner dialogue, lots of reasoning, basically decent person
thrust into unusual circumstances. Here, the protagonist is a cyborg
designed/trained to be a solitary war scout, and he is monitored by his
ship computer, who has instructions to kill the cyborg if he doesn’t
diligently carry out his mission - where the computer decides what
“diligently” means. The war ended 300+ years ago (but “only” 24 years
ship-time), and nobody is left who can change the computer’s orders. So
the cyborg has been forced to scout several planetary systems with no
end in sight. Very early in this story, the cyborg lands on a populated
planet, where a few inhabitants are "wizards". There is a sequel, which
I picked up when I found this one, and I will read it.

( ++ 1/2 ) His Father’s Eyes - Coe [Justis Fearsson #2]
Phoenix ex-cop-now-a-PI Justis Fearsson is a weremyste - a magic user
who becomes significantly fuzzy & disrupted for 3 days around the full
moon “phasings”. One of his cases eventually drags him into a big war
between dark & light magical forces. He’s not a magical heavyweight, but
he’s smart and resourceful. I think Coe only wrote one more in this
series, which I will surely read.

( ++ 1/2 )The October Man - Aaronovitch (novella) [Rivers of London
universe]
Good! Germany-based spin-off featuring magic apprentice Tobias Winter
and regular police officer Vanessa Sommer. Very well done, and similar
to Peter Grant stories, only in Germany. Tobias is noticeably different
from Peter; good dialogue, with some good humor in spots.

( +++ ) Slow Bullets - Reynolds (novella)
Very good. Short, swift, neat ideas, dark, even vicious in spots. A vast
interstellar war is ending, complete with an official cease fire; a
female soldier gets captured by a sadistic male opponent, who tortures
her and leaves her to die when peacekeepers show up to enforce the cease
fire. She passes out and wakes up in a hibernation chamber on a ship
that is clearly malfunctioning. The ship’s dying computer is waking some
of its passengers, many of whom are soldiers from both sides of the
war…including her nemesis (of course!).

Now Reading:
Long work - I don’t know - nothing is currently jumping out at me
Collection - Memory’s Legion - Corey [Expanse collection]

Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<TmHEN.137629$t8cc.19340@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97085&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97085

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Subject: Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 15:13:55 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:13 UTC

Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> writes:

>Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

>( ++++ ) Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21] NOTE: Steve Miller
>passed away less than a week before I read this. It truly was the next
>thing on the short stack, but I would have picked it next anyway given
>the circumstances.
>
>Holy cow, this was great - one of my very favorite entries in the entire
>series (a high bar indeed). The last several chapters are superb, as
>many different plot threads that have been brewing over several books
>come to a head, and Val Con and Miri have quite a day dealing with them
>in their co-position as delm of Clan Korval. Subtract the very last
>chapter, and this could function as a serviceable series-ender, though
>there are many many directions the series could go forward. The last
>chapter is clearly a stepping off point to one specific direction, but
>I’m sure they’ll fold some of the other ones in along the way.

_Salvage Right_, as the follow-on to Neogenesis closes out those threads
that come to a head in Neogenesis. It's more fun even than Neogenesis.

We'll have to see how the upcoming _Ribbon Dance_ does at closing out the
Shan and Padi sequence.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<l4ha0vF8l1dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97093&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97093

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 2 Mar 2024 18:38:23 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:38 UTC

In article <TmHEN.137629$t8cc.19340@fx06.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024
>>

>>===========================================
>>( ++++ ) Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21] NOTE: Steve Miller
>>passed away less than a week before I read this. It truly was the next
>>thing on the short stack, but I would have picked it next anyway given
>>the circumstances.
>>
>>Holy cow, this was great - one of my very favorite entries in the entire
>>series (a high bar indeed). The last several chapters are superb, as
>>many different plot threads that have been brewing over several books
>>come to a head, and Val Con and Miri have quite a day dealing with them
>>in their co-position as delm of Clan Korval. Subtract the very last
>>chapter, and this could function as a serviceable series-ender, though
>>there are many many directions the series could go forward. The last
>>chapter is clearly a stepping off point to one specific direction, but
>>I’m sure they’ll fold some of the other ones in along the way.
>
>_Salvage Right_, as the follow-on to Neogenesis closes out those threads
>that come to a head in Neogenesis. It's more fun even than Neogenesis.
>
>We'll have to see how the upcoming _Ribbon Dance_ does at closing out the
>Shan and Padi sequence.

I'll have to get back to the main sequence. I think I read one of the
short story collections most recently. Sad to think there might not
be any more.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<us25um$2ibu2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97102&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97102

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:45:26 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:45 UTC

On 3/2/24 10:13 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

>> ( ++++ ) Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21] NOTE: Steve Miller
>> passed away less than a week before I read this. It truly was the next
>> thing on the short stack, but I would have picked it next anyway given
>> the circumstances.
>>
>> Holy cow, this was great - one of my very favorite entries in the entire
>> series (a high bar indeed). The last several chapters are superb, as
>> many different plot threads that have been brewing over several books
>> come to a head, and Val Con and Miri have quite a day dealing with them
>> in their co-position as delm of Clan Korval. Subtract the very last
>> chapter, and this could function as a serviceable series-ender, though
>> there are many many directions the series could go forward. The last
>> chapter is clearly a stepping off point to one specific direction, but
>> I’m sure they’ll fold some of the other ones in along the way.
>
> _Salvage Right_, as the follow-on to Neogenesis closes out those threads
> that come to a head in Neogenesis. It's more fun even than Neogenesis.
>
> We'll have to see how the upcoming _Ribbon Dance_ does at closing out the
> Shan and Padi sequence.

That is all awesome to know - thank you. I believe publication order
puts Accepting the Lance[1] and Trader's Leap as the next two before
Salvage Right. Very much looking forward to all of them.

Tony
[1] Not sure what happened with Accepting the Lance, but it doesn't
look like it was ever released in a softcover format.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<us263l$2ibu2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97103&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97103

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:48:04 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:48 UTC

On 3/2/24 1:38 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <TmHEN.137629$t8cc.19340@fx06.iad>,
> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024
>>>

>>> ===========================================
>>> ( ++++ ) Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21] NOTE: Steve Miller
>>> passed away less than a week before I read this. It truly was the next
>>> thing on the short stack, but I would have picked it next anyway given
>>> the circumstances.
>>>
>>> Holy cow, this was great - one of my very favorite entries in the entire
>>> series (a high bar indeed). The last several chapters are superb, as
>>> many different plot threads that have been brewing over several books
>>> come to a head, and Val Con and Miri have quite a day dealing with them
>>> in their co-position as delm of Clan Korval. Subtract the very last
>>> chapter, and this could function as a serviceable series-ender, though
>>> there are many many directions the series could go forward. The last
>>> chapter is clearly a stepping off point to one specific direction, but
>>> I’m sure they’ll fold some of the other ones in along the way.
>>
>> _Salvage Right_, as the follow-on to Neogenesis closes out those threads
>> that come to a head in Neogenesis. It's more fun even than Neogenesis.
>>
>> We'll have to see how the upcoming _Ribbon Dance_ does at closing out the
>> Shan and Padi sequence.
>>

> I'll have to get back to the main sequence. I think I read one of the
> short story collections most recently.

So -- from a plot/significance perspective -- how are the short story
collections? (I know the writing will be excellent.) I think I've only
read 1-2 short stories in the Liaden Universe total.

> Sad to think there might not be any more.

Very sad indeed.
- Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<AN1FN.112256$U1cc.72532@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97105&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97105

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 16:44:16 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:44 UTC

Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> writes:
>On 3/2/24 1:38 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <TmHEN.137629$t8cc.19340@fx06.iad>,
>> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:

>>> _Salvage Right_, as the follow-on to Neogenesis closes out those threads
>>> that come to a head in Neogenesis. It's more fun even than Neogenesis.
>>>
>>> We'll have to see how the upcoming _Ribbon Dance_ does at closing out the
>>> Shan and Padi sequence.
>>>

>> I'll have to get back to the main sequence. I think I read one of the
>> short story collections most recently.
>
>So -- from a plot/significance perspective -- how are the short story
>collections? (I know the writing will be excellent.) I think I've only
>read 1-2 short stories in the Liaden Universe total.

They (the shorts) are helpful as they fill in some gaps in
the liadenverse. Like who Daav's dad was, and how he came
to be his dad (which helps explain at least one scene in
the latter books). Or the description of Miri's first
act of heroism (touched on in one of the novels, as well).
et alia.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<robertaw-8EA9AE.10060003032024@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97107&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97107

From: robertaw@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 10:06:00 -0800
 by: Robert Woodward - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 18:06 UTC

In article <us25um$2ibu2$2@dont-email.me>,
Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/24 10:13 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> > Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024
> >>

> >> ===========================================
> >> ( ++++ ) Neogenesis - Lee & Miller [Liaden #21] NOTE: Steve Miller
> >> passed away less than a week before I read this. It truly was the next
> >> thing on the short stack, but I would have picked it next anyway given
> >> the circumstances.
<SNIP>

> That is all awesome to know - thank you. I believe publication order
> puts Accepting the Lance[1] and Trader's Leap as the next two before
> Salvage Right. Very much looking forward to all of them.
>
> Tony
> [1] Not sure what happened with Accepting the Lance, but it doesn't
> look like it was ever released in a softcover format.

You must have missed it somehow. I have a mass market paperback edition
that I bought new in November 2020 (and the ISFDB lists it as well).

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<l4ju4oFknd4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97108&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97108

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 3 Mar 2024 18:34:00 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 18:34 UTC

In article <us263l$2ibu2$3@dont-email.me>,
Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 3/2/24 1:38 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <TmHEN.137629$t8cc.19340@fx06.iad>,
>> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:

>>> _Salvage Right_, as the follow-on to Neogenesis closes out those threads
>>> that come to a head in Neogenesis. It's more fun even than Neogenesis.
>>>
>>> We'll have to see how the upcoming _Ribbon Dance_ does at closing out the
>>> Shan and Padi sequence.
>>>

>> I'll have to get back to the main sequence. I think I read one of the
>> short story collections most recently.
>
>So -- from a plot/significance perspective -- how are the short story
>collections? (I know the writing will be excellent.) I think I've only
>read 1-2 short stories in the Liaden Universe total.
>
>> Sad to think there might not be any more.
>
>Very sad indeed.
>- Tony

In general the short stories don't introduce major plot points, but may
fill in some things that have been hinted at or throw some more light
on things mentioned only in passing.

For instance, we have had stories on:

The story hinted at when D'avv & Aliana made their first courier
delivery, and the recipients seemed to have their own fully
fleshed out story going on that only impinged briefly on
the Korvals'. Well, they did.

More backstory on the political troubles of the world where
Theo got her pilot's license.

How Norbears got their name & came to be on Liaden ships.

How D'aav upheld Korval's honor with a waterballoon fight.

How Yxtrang Diagon Rifle brough honor to his Captain and
adopted clan during a bawdyhouse visit.

The backstory at Tinsori Light

How Aunt Kareen, the least likable Kroval, reacted to
Plan B, and what it cost her.

How a stranded Liaden scout finds love, allows his wife
to thrive (which she had not been doing), and arranges
to get his halfling daughter off-world for lifesaving
treatment while dying himself.

How a neighboring estate on Surebleak comes to terms
with the Korval holding.

All enjoyable and well done, as you might expect.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<us2odb$2mmb8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97114&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97114

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:00:27 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:00 UTC

On 3/3/24 11:44 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 3/2/24 1:38 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> I'll have to get back to the main sequence. I think I read one of the
>>> short story collections most recently.
>>
>> So -- from a plot/significance perspective -- how are the short story
>> collections? (I know the writing will be excellent.) I think I've only
>> read 1-2 short stories in the Liaden Universe total.
>
> They (the shorts) are helpful as they fill in some gaps in
> the liadenverse. Like who Daav's dad was, and how he came
> to be his dad (which helps explain at least one scene in
> the latter books). Or the description of Miri's first
> act of heroism (touched on in one of the novels, as well).
> et alia.

Great - thank you.
- Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<us2oeg$2mmb8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97115&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97115

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:01:03 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:01 UTC

On 3/3/24 1:06 PM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <us25um$2ibu2$2@dont-email.me>,
> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:

> <SNIP>
>>
>> That is all awesome to know - thank you. I believe publication order
>> puts Accepting the Lance[1] and Trader's Leap as the next two before
>> Salvage Right. Very much looking forward to all of them.
>>
>> Tony
>> [1] Not sure what happened with Accepting the Lance, but it doesn't
>> look like it was ever released in a softcover format.
>
> You must have missed it somehow. I have a mass market paperback edition
> that I bought new in November 2020 (and the ISFDB lists it as well).

Aha - that's great to know, thanks.
- Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<us2ofm$2mmb8$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97116&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97116

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:01:42 -0500

On 3/3/24 1:34 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <us263l$2ibu2$3@dont-email.me>,
> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/2/24 1:38 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> I'll have to get back to the main sequence. I think I read one of the
>>> short story collections most recently.
>>
>> So -- from a plot/significance perspective -- how are the short story
>> collections? (I know the writing will be excellent.) I think I've only
>> read 1-2 short stories in the Liaden Universe total.
>>
>>> Sad to think there might not be any more.
>>
>> Very sad indeed.
>> - Tony
>>

> In general the short stories don't introduce major plot points, but may
> fill in some things that have been hinted at or throw some more light
> on things mentioned only in passing.
>
> For instance, we have had stories on:
>
> The story hinted at when D'avv & Aliana made their first courier
> delivery, and the recipients seemed to have their own fully
> fleshed out story going on that only impinged briefly on
> the Korvals'. Well, they did.
>
> More backstory on the political troubles of the world where
> Theo got her pilot's license.
>
> How Norbears got their name & came to be on Liaden ships.
>
> How D'aav upheld Korval's honor with a waterballoon fight.
>
> How Yxtrang Diagon Rifle brough honor to his Captain and
> adopted clan during a bawdyhouse visit.
>
> The backstory at Tinsori Light
>
> How Aunt Kareen, the least likable Kroval, reacted to
> Plan B, and what it cost her.
>
> How a stranded Liaden scout finds love, allows his wife
> to thrive (which she had not been doing), and arranges
> to get his halfling daughter off-world for lifesaving
> treatment while dying himself.
>
> How a neighboring estate on Surebleak comes to terms
> with the Korval holding.
>
> All enjoyable and well done, as you might expect.

Wonderful information! Thanks for taking the time,
Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<ustudd$1dppk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97411&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97411

From: noone@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 17:28:29 +1300
 by: Titus G - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 04:28 UTC

On 2/03/24 11:06, Tony Nance wrote:

> Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024
snip
> ( +++ ) Slow Bullets - Reynolds (novella)
> Very good. Short, swift, neat ideas, dark, even vicious in spots. A vast
> interstellar war is ending, complete with an official cease fire; a
> female soldier gets captured by a sadistic male opponent, who tortures
> her and leaves her to die when peacekeepers show up to enforce the cease
> fire. She passes out and wakes up in a hibernation chamber on a ship
> that is clearly malfunctioning. The ship’s dying computer is waking some
> of its passengers, many of whom are soldiers from both sides of the
> war…including her nemesis (of course!).

A good teaser of a summary. Three stars. I enjoyed this but nowhere near
as much as his short five star masterpieces of dark vicious ideas,
Diamond Dogs and A Spy in Europa.
From the list of his other books, The Prefect, (originally Aurora
Uprising), is listed as being in the Revelation Space series though it
is not listed as such in Fantastic Fiction so I now have a copy. Has
anyone read it?

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<usv9lb$1nl7k$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97418&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97418

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:46:36 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:46 UTC

On 3/13/2024 9:28 PM, Titus G wrote:
> On 2/03/24 11:06, Tony Nance wrote:
>>
>> Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024
> snip
>> ( +++ ) Slow Bullets - Reynolds (novella)
>> Very good. Short, swift, neat ideas, dark, even vicious in spots. A vast
>> interstellar war is ending, complete with an official cease fire; a
>> female soldier gets captured by a sadistic male opponent, who tortures
>> her and leaves her to die when peacekeepers show up to enforce the cease
>> fire. She passes out and wakes up in a hibernation chamber on a ship
>> that is clearly malfunctioning. The ship’s dying computer is waking some
>> of its passengers, many of whom are soldiers from both sides of the
>> war…including her nemesis (of course!).
>>

> A good teaser of a summary. Three stars. I enjoyed this but nowhere near
> as much as his short five star masterpieces of dark vicious ideas,
> Diamond Dogs and A Spy in Europa.
> From the list of his other books, The Prefect, (originally Aurora
> Uprising), is listed as being in the Revelation Space series though it
> is not listed as such in Fantastic Fiction so I now have a copy. Has
> anyone read it?

I have. And the titles are in reverse order. It was originally
released as 'The Prefect' (what I bought it as) and renamed when the
second book in the series was released and the series was given the name
"The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies".

It is set in the Revelation Space universe but other than that is a
separate story line from the rest of the Revelation Space books. It is
about a cop solving cases among the huge number of orbital habitats in
the Glitter Band. I liked it and both of the sequels, will buy another
in the series.

dirty old man.

The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies Was: Highlights and Lowlights - February 2024

<utdmhr$1a0bh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97533&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97533

From: noone@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies Was: Highlights and Lowlights -
February 2024
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:52:25 +1300
 by: Titus G - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 03:52 UTC

On 15/03/24 05:46, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 3/13/2024 9:28 PM, Titus G wrote:
>>  From the list of his other books, The Prefect, (originally Aurora
>> Uprising), is listed as being in the Revelation Space series though it
>> is not listed as such in Fantastic Fiction so I now have a copy. Has
>> anyone read it?
>
> I have.  And the titles are in reverse order.  It was originally
> released as 'The Prefect' (what I bought it as) and renamed when the
> second book in the series was released and the series was given the name
> "The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies".
>
> It is set in the Revelation Space universe but other than that is a
> separate story line from the rest of the Revelation Space books.  It is
> about a cop solving cases among the huge number of orbital habitats in
> the Glitter Band.  I liked it and both of the sequels, will buy another
> in the series.

I didn't like Aurora Rising. I loved it even though its predecessor was
the brilliant The Quiet War by Paul McAuley, a hard 4 star act to follow.
The background was just as great as Revelation Space, the plot was a
brilliant adventure with resolution as satisfying as the gradual
introduction to the conflicts and explanations of futuristic technology.
I didn't care that the good guys were all super good martyrs and that
the bad guys were really good guys temporarily misunderstanding reality
and misled. 5 stars.

Re: The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies

<uu86ur$qhr6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97865&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97865

From: noone@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:11:55 +1300
 by: Titus G - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 05:11 UTC

The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies series.
Book 2 Elysium Fire
Just brilliant. The only arguments for 4 rather than 5 stars were:
I was tricked by the absence of clues as to the difference between past
and present in the early stages. (I might have missed something?)
My suspension of disbelief didn't cope with Public opinion seeming too
one eyed but far too easily swayed, not just in one habitat but
throughout the Glitter Band. It also didn't cope too well with
quickmatter, matter that responds to your will, can operate
independently following instructions or be a semi permanent fixture such
as the floor which will instantly grow chairs if you will it to or
recognise rubbish or tipped out cold coffee and break such down to basic
elements. (Where they go from there is not revealed.)
I was annoyed when the brother's names were unnecessarily confused at
the end of the book.
But they were minor matters as the plot was brilliantly complicated with
many remarkable dark events, the characters of the prefecture are
probably a little too perfect* but the pace and tension were constant
and exaggerated by the frequent interweaving of different activities or
plot threads within chapters. Brilliant.

* I am aware of Dreyfus's major imperfection which is spoiler material
but would the other more perfect policeman sacrifice their life to
preserve evidence perhaps to reveal the truth of horrendous crimes
committed by a dying within minutes psychopathic murderer?

Re: The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies

<uurfd1$22old$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98042&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98042

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 08:32:31 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 12:32 UTC

On 3/30/24 1:11 AM, Titus G wrote:
> The Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies series.
> Book 2 Elysium Fire
> Just brilliant. The only arguments for 4 rather than 5 stars were:
> I was tricked by the absence of clues as to the difference between past
> and present in the early stages. (I might have missed something?)
> My suspension of disbelief didn't cope with Public opinion seeming too
> one eyed but far too easily swayed, not just in one habitat but
> throughout the Glitter Band. It also didn't cope too well with
> quickmatter, matter that responds to your will, can operate
> independently following instructions or be a semi permanent fixture such
> as the floor which will instantly grow chairs if you will it to or
> recognise rubbish or tipped out cold coffee and break such down to basic
> elements. (Where they go from there is not revealed.)
> I was annoyed when the brother's names were unnecessarily confused at
> the end of the book.
> But they were minor matters as the plot was brilliantly complicated with
> many remarkable dark events, the characters of the prefecture are
> probably a little too perfect* but the pace and tension were constant
> and exaggerated by the frequent interweaving of different activities or
> plot threads within chapters. Brilliant.
>
> * I am aware of Dreyfus's major imperfection which is spoiler material
> but would the other more perfect policeman sacrifice their life to
> preserve evidence perhaps to reveal the truth of horrendous crimes
> committed by a dying within minutes psychopathic murderer?

Thanks for this - I'm looking forward to pretty much any Reynolds I
haven't read yet, but I may well seek the Prefect Dreyfus stories sooner.

Tony