From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Nebula Finalists 1978
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:51:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:51 UTC

Another round of Nebula finalist, these granted in 1978.

Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?

Gateway by Frederik Pohl
In the Ocean of Night by Gregory Benford
Cirque by Terry Carr
Moonstar Odyssey by David Gerrold
Sword of the Demon by Richard A. Lupoff

All but the Lupoff.

Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?

Stardance by Jeanne Robinson & Spider Robinson
Aztecs by Vonda N. McIntyre

Both.

Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?

The Screwfly Solution by James Tiptree, Jr.
A Rite of Spring by Fritz Leiber
Particle Theory by Edward Bryant
The Ninth Symphony of Ludwig van Beethoven (...) by Carter Scholz
The Stone City by George R. R. Martin

All of them.

Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?

Jeffty Is Five by Harlan Ellison
Air Raid by John Varley
The Hibakusha Gallery by Edward Bryant
Camera Obscura by Thomas F. Monteleone
Tin Woodman by Dennis R. Bailey and Dave Bischoff

All but the final two, which I've never heard of.

Which 1978 Special Award (Not a Nebula) Have You Seen?

Star Wars by George Lucas

I've seen this. There was talk of a sequel, as I recall.

Re: Nebula Finalists 1978

<uv1bvg$3lbna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98074&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98074

From: wthyde1953@gmail.com (William Hyde)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Nebula Finalists 1978
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:10:36 -0400
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:10 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:
> Another round of Nebula finalist, these granted in 1978.
>
> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>
> Gateway by Frederik Pohl
> In the Ocean of Night by Gregory Benford
> Cirque by Terry Carr
> Moonstar Odyssey by David Gerrold
> Sword of the Demon by Richard A. Lupoff
>
> All but the Lupoff.

All but the Gerrold, which I have never seen.

> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
>
> Stardance by Jeanne Robinson & Spider Robinson
> Aztecs by Vonda N. McIntyre
>
> Both.

Neither. As far as I can recall, anyway.

> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
>
> The Screwfly Solution by James Tiptree, Jr.
> A Rite of Spring by Fritz Leiber
> Particle Theory by Edward Bryant
> The Ninth Symphony of Ludwig van Beethoven (...) by Carter Scholz

Ah, the only time I "won" a YASID was with this story.

> The Stone City by George R. R. Martin

All but the Bryant.

> All of them.
>
> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?
>
> Jeffty Is Five by Harlan Ellison
> Air Raid by John Varley
> The Hibakusha Gallery by Edward Bryant
> Camera Obscura by Thomas F. Monteleone
> Tin Woodman by Dennis R. Bailey and Dave Bischoff
>
> All but the final two, which I've never heard of.

Only the first two. I seem to have missed a lot of Bryant.

William Hyde

Re: Nebula Finalists 1978

<l88r47Fi4kfU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98227&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98227

From: alan@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Apr 2024 02:40:07 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 02:40 UTC

On 2024-04-08, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> Another round of Nebula finalist, these granted in 1978.
>
> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>
> Gateway by Frederik Pohl
> In the Ocean of Night by Gregory Benford
> Cirque by Terry Carr
> Moonstar Odyssey by David Gerrold
> Sword of the Demon by Richard A. Lupoff
>
> All but the Lupoff.

Just the Pohl and the Benford. _Gateway_ is a borderline Favorite.

> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
>
> Stardance by Jeanne Robinson & Spider Robinson
> Aztecs by Vonda N. McIntyre
>
> Both.

Just Stardance

> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
>
> The Screwfly Solution by James Tiptree, Jr.
> A Rite of Spring by Fritz Leiber
> Particle Theory by Edward Bryant
> The Ninth Symphony of Ludwig van Beethoven (...) by Carter Scholz
> The Stone City by George R. R. Martin
>
> All of them.

The Tiptree.

> Which 1978 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?
>
> Jeffty Is Five by Harlan Ellison
> Air Raid by John Varley
> The Hibakusha Gallery by Edward Bryant
> Camera Obscura by Thomas F. Monteleone
> Tin Woodman by Dennis R. Bailey and Dave Bischoff
>
> All but the final two, which I've never heard of.

Ellison and Varley.

> Which 1978 Special Award (Not a Nebula) Have You Seen?
>
> Star Wars by George Lucas
>
> I've seen this. There was talk of a sequel, as I recall.

Saw it (multiple times on first release.)

Chris