From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Nebula Finalists 1977
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 14:44:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 14:44 UTC

Another week, another year of Nebula finalists. For some reason,
1977 seems to have been my personal golden age, so I've read a lot
of them.

Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?

Man Plus by Frederik Pohl
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
Shadrach in the Furnace by Robert Silverberg
Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Islands by Marta Randall
Triton by Samuel R. Delany

All of them.

Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?

Houston, Houston, Do You Read? by James Tiptree, Jr.
The Samurai and the Willows by Michael Bishop
Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Richard Cowper
The Eyeflash Miracles by Gene Wolfe

Also all of them, although in the case of the Cowper it was as part
of a novel.

Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?

The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov
In the Bowl by John Varley
Custer's Last Jump by Steven Utley and Howard Waldrop
His Hour Upon the Stage by Grant Carrington

All but the final, which is new to me. A new author to seek out!

Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?

Crowd of Shadows by Charles L. Grant
Tricentennial by Joe Haldeman
Stone Circle by Lisa Tuttle
Breath's a Ware That Will Not Keep by Thomas F. Monteleone
Mary Margaret Road-Grader by Howard Waldrop
Back to the Stone Age by Jake Saunders

Just the Haldeman and the Waldrop. For the most part, the oversights
were inadvertent. The exception is Laser-author Montelone. A day
without Montelone is like a day without papercuts.

Which 1977 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?

Harlan! Harlan Ellison Reads Harlan Ellison by Harlan Ellison
Logan's Run by David Zelag Goodman, George Clayton Johnson, and William
F. Nolan
The Man Who Fell to Earth by Paul Mayersberg and Walter Tevis

Just the final two. I feel like Ellison could have worked his name
in there a few more times.

Re: Nebula Finalists 1977

<uuemh7$2j1kg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97929&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97929

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Nebula Finalists 1977
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 12:14:31 -0400
 by: Cryptoengineer - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 16:14 UTC

On 4/1/2024 10:44 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Another week, another year of Nebula finalists. For some reason,
> 1977 seems to have been my personal golden age, so I've read a lot
> of them.
>
> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>
> Man Plus by Frederik Pohl
> Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
> Shadrach in the Furnace by Robert Silverberg
> Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
> Islands by Marta Randall
> Triton by Samuel R. Delany

All but Wilhelm and Randall

> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
>
> Houston, Houston, Do You Read? by James Tiptree, Jr.
> The Samurai and the Willows by Michael Bishop
> Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Richard Cowper
> The Eyeflash Miracles by Gene Wolfe

Tiptree and Cowper

> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
>
> The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov
> In the Bowl by John Varley
> Custer's Last Jump by Steven Utley and Howard Waldrop
> His Hour Upon the Stage by Grant Carrington

Only Asimov and Varley

> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?
>
> Crowd of Shadows by Charles L. Grant
> Tricentennial by Joe Haldeman
> Stone Circle by Lisa Tuttle
> Breath's a Ware That Will Not Keep by Thomas F. Monteleone
> Mary Margaret Road-Grader by Howard Waldrop
> Back to the Stone Age by Jake Saunders

None

> Which 1977 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?
>
> Harlan! Harlan Ellison Reads Harlan Ellison by Harlan Ellison
> Logan's Run by David Zelag Goodman, George Clayton Johnson, and William
> F. Nolan
> The Man Who Fell to Earth by Paul Mayersberg and Walter Tevis

Logan's Run, and TMWFtE.

Re: Nebula Finalists 1977

<l88qufFi4kfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98226&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98226

From: alan@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Apr 2024 02:37:03 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 02:37 UTC

On 2024-04-01, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> Another week, another year of Nebula finalists. For some reason,
> 1977 seems to have been my personal golden age, so I've read a lot
> of them.
>
> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>
> Man Plus by Frederik Pohl
> Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
> Shadrach in the Furnace by Robert Silverberg
> Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
> Islands by Marta Randall
> Triton by Samuel R. Delany
>
> All of them.

Read all. Only the Wilhelm is on my Favorite bookcase. The
Silverberg was good.

> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
>
> Houston, Houston, Do You Read? by James Tiptree, Jr.
> The Samurai and the Willows by Michael Bishop
> Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Richard Cowper
> The Eyeflash Miracles by Gene Wolfe
>
> Also all of them, although in the case of the Cowper it was as part
> of a novel.

All but the Bishop (the Cowper as part of _The Road to Corlay_)

> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
>
> The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov
> In the Bowl by John Varley
> Custer's Last Jump by Steven Utley and Howard Waldrop
> His Hour Upon the Stage by Grant Carrington
>
> All but the final, which is new to me. A new author to seek out!

The Asimov and the Varley

> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?
>
> Crowd of Shadows by Charles L. Grant
> Tricentennial by Joe Haldeman
> Stone Circle by Lisa Tuttle
> Breath's a Ware That Will Not Keep by Thomas F. Monteleone
> Mary Margaret Road-Grader by Howard Waldrop
> Back to the Stone Age by Jake Saunders
>
> Just the Haldeman and the Waldrop. For the most part, the oversights
> were inadvertent. The exception is Laser-author Montelone. A day
> without Montelone is like a day without papercuts.

A complete miss.

> Which 1977 Nebula Dramatic Presentation Have You Seen?
>
> Harlan! Harlan Ellison Reads Harlan Ellison by Harlan Ellison
> Logan's Run by David Zelag Goodman, George Clayton Johnson, and William
> F. Nolan
> The Man Who Fell to Earth by Paul Mayersberg and Walter Tevis
>
> Just the final two. I feel like Ellison could have worked his name
> in there a few more times.

The last two also.

Chris

Re: Nebula Finalists 1977

<sGUTN.1934$Dfwf.262@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98233&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98233

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:38:15 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:38 UTC

On 4/1/24 07:44, James Nicoll wrote:

> Another week, another year of Nebula finalists. For some reason,
> 1977 seems to have been my personal golden age, so I've read a lot
> of them.
>
> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
>
> Man Plus by Frederik Pohl
> Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
> Shadrach in the Furnace by Robert Silverberg
> SNIP

> Which 1977 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
>
> The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov

I have a hardcover, copyright 1992
"The Positronic Man" by Isac Asimov & Robert Silverberg.
It claims this is the 3rd Asimov-Silverberg collaboration.

I guess the answer is,
"In 1976 Isaac Asimov published the novelette “Bicentennial Man”,
later expanded into a full-blown novel called “Positronic Man”
with Robert Silverberg. It's part of Asimov's robot universe
which later extends far into the future, all the way to the
Foundation. Oct 23, 2021"

also, from the wiki,
"the story was collected in The Bicentennial Man and Other
Stories (1976).[1]
The story formed the basis of the novel The Positronic Man
(1992), co-written with Robert Silverberg, and the 1999
film Bicentennial Man, starring Robin Williams."