From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (WFC) Witch of Wild Things by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:20:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:20 UTC

Witch of Wild Things by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland

An unjustly fired adjunct returns to a home town surprisingly well-
stocked with attractive men, where her dead sister has an impossible
task for her.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/restless-spirit

Re: (WFC) Witch of Wild Things by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland

<slrnv251br.17f0.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98263&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98263

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:53:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:53 UTC

On 2024-04-19, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

> Witch of Wild Things by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/restless-spirit

| If she punches you, it’s with a be-ringed fist (silver knuckles
| rather than brass knuckles).

It doesn't work that way.

When you punch someone with your bare fist, you hit them with your
knuckles if you do it correctly. Hitting with your proximal
phalanges, where rings are typically worn, is a good way to break
said bones, and wearing rings will not help or even make this worse--
think how the force vector acts. Brass knuckles are a connected,
rigid structure with a grip that transfers the impact force to your
palm in line with your forearm. A set of rings on your fingers
does NOT work like brass knuckles.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: (WFC) Witch of Wild Things by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland

<20240419a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=98265&group=rec.arts.sf.written#98265

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:49:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:49 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:
> Witch of Wild Things by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland
>
> An unjustly fired adjunct returns to a home town surprisingly well-
> stocked with attractive men, where her dead sister has an impossible
> task for her.
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/restless-spirit

An excerpt from the above link:

Fortunately, even if one of the family slips and says
that "Sage can command plants," this isn't taken as
"she's a plant witch." She's just good with plants.
She has a green thumb.

Perhaps some of these guys qualify as a plant witch?

Arthurian character Morgan le Fay had a green thumb.

Dr. Iris Hineman, in the Hollywood treatment of "Minority Report"
(PKD), has a potentially lethal green thumb.

Apex alpha male HRM King Charles III reportedly has a green thumb too.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.