From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Questionable Content: No Trepanning Without The Proper Certs
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:45:07 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:45 UTC

Questionable Content: No Trepanning Without The Proper Certs
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=5099

I wonder if anyone survived trepanning in the Bronze age ?

Lynn

Re: Questionable Content: No Trepanning Without The Proper Certs

<kiftdgFg42dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=9903&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#9903

From: mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:04:16 -0400
 by: Mark Jackson - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 19:04 UTC

On 7/27/2023 2:45 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Questionable Content: No Trepanning Without The Proper Certs
>     https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=5099
>
> I wonder if anyone survived trepanning in the Bronze age ?

Well, they're all dead now, so no.

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
[T]he institution of American policing lies outside

Re: Questionable Content: No Trepanning Without The Proper Certs

<ua103l$r4u$1@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=9906&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#9906

From: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:06:45 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:06 UTC

In article <kiftdgFg42dU1@mid.individual.net>,
Mark Jackson <mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>On 7/27/2023 2:45 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Questionable Content: No Trepanning Without The Proper Certs
>>     https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=5099
>>
>> I wonder if anyone survived trepanning in the Bronze age ?
>
>Well, they're all dead now, so no.

Ah, but that's how we know that MANY people survived trepanning. They
died, we have their skulls, and there's evidence of long-healed wounds in the
bone.

Bones broken long before death, broken during the death, and broken
after death have differences that archaeologists and anthropoligists can use
to figure out stuff about the lives of the dead. For instance, healed breaks
in leg bones are a strong indication that the individual was cared for by
their group so they didn't starve while the bones knit. Post-mortem damage
that appears to be inflicted by tools rather than animals tells you something
about the society (e.g. they felt that mutilating a corpse messed up the
person's afterlife, perhaps).

Dave Van Domelen, also notes that trepanation doesn't really catch on in
a society where it's 100% fatal...

arts / rec.arts.comics.strips / Re: Questionable Content: No Trepanning Without The Proper Certs