Your wig steers the gig. -- Lord Buckley

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / ITVX emails don't arrive

SubjectAuthor
* ITVX emails don't arriveJ. P. Gilliver
+* Re: ITVX emails don't arriveAndy Burns
|`* Re: ITVX emails don't arriveJ. P. Gilliver
| `* Re: ITVX emails don't arriveAndy Burns
|  `- Re: ITVX emails don't arriveJ. P. Gilliver
+* Re: ITVX emails don't arriveLiz Tuddenham
|`* Re: ITVX emails don't arriveJ. P. Gilliver
| `* Re: ITVX emails don't arriveAndy Burns
|  `- Re: ITVX emails don't arriveJ. P. Gilliver
`- Re: ITVX emails don't arriveBrian Gaff

1
ITVX emails don't arrive

<iytJjR3qFIklFwou@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10057&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10057

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:45:30 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: ITVX emails don't arrive
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:45 UTC

When I try to use the ITV version of the BBC iPlayer (it seems to be
called itvX), they say they're sending a verification email to the email
address I've used to sign up with. The emails don't arrive (and no, I
don't _have_ a spam bin).

I've tried using at least three emails - the latest done in an incognito
window, so no cookies or whatever should be involved.

Q. How much is 2 + 2?
A. Thank you so much for asking your question.
Are you still having this problem? I'll be delighted to help you. Please
restate the problem twice and include your Windows version along with
all error logs.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2018-11-1

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<kvctedF8k5hU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10060&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10060

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: ITVX emails don't arrive
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 10:17:50 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 10:17 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> When I try to use the ITV version of the BBC iPlayer (it seems to be
> called itvX), they say they're sending a verification email to the email
> address I've used to sign up with. The emails don't arrive (and no, I
> don't _have_ a spam bin).

I have an account that was setup when the called it "itvHUB" instead of
"itvX", it just let me login with the old account, before it would let
me watch anything it wanted me to verify my email address (maybe because
it's not been used for years?)

Their email arrived OK for me to click and verify, redirection through
mythicbeasts and delivery to plusnet mailbox.

Looking at the headers, they seem to handle all the SPF, DKIM, SMTPS
stuff properly, the body is slightly mangled when viewed without HTML,
but it works.

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<1qmlsv1.1svwl17b83xfqN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10061&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10061

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:52:21 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:52 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> When I try to use the ITV version of the BBC iPlayer (it seems to be
> called itvX), they say they're sending a verification email to the email
> address I've used to sign up with. The emails don't arrive (and no, I
> don't _have_ a spam bin).
>
> I've tried using at least three emails - the latest done in an incognito
> window, so no cookies or whatever should be involved.

Is it an e-mail or is it an HTML webpagege sent by e-mail? If it is a
webpage it could contain characters that trigger a spam warning some way
back in the chain, so it never gets near your computer.

Perhaps the e-mails are going through a gmail server somewhere. Gmail
have been rejecting e-mails that don't contain some extra security
feature, which is supposed to be optional. I have been having lots of
trouble trying to send e-mails to gmail customers and getting them
returned. Nobody seems to know how to switch off this 'feature'.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<sxF6jnCLWWklFwoD@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10062&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10062

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:58:51 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:58 UTC

In message <kvctedF8k5hU5@mid.individual.net> at Sun, 31 Dec 2023
10:17:50, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> When I try to use the ITV version of the BBC iPlayer (it seems to be
>>called itvX), they say they're sending a verification email to the
>>email address I've used to sign up with. The emails don't arrive (and
>>no, I don't _have_ a spam bin).
>
>I have an account that was setup when the called it "itvHUB" instead of
>"itvX", it just let me login with the old account, before it would let
>me watch anything it wanted me to verify my email address (maybe
>because it's not been used for years?)
>
>Their email arrived OK for me to click and verify, redirection through
>mythicbeasts and delivery to plusnet mailbox.
>
>Looking at the headers, they seem to handle all the SPF, DKIM, SMTPS
>stuff properly, the body is slightly mangled when viewed without HTML,
>but it works.

Very interesting, as I have a similar arrangement - redirection through
Krystal to PlusNet. Maybe Krystal do something slightly different - I
have had other such emails containing such things not arrive. (Though
not all, i. e. some _have_ come through.) HTML mangling I'm used to, but
that doesn't help if they don't arrive at all.

Never rely on somebody else for your happiness.
- Bette Davis, quoted by Celia Imrie, RT 2014/3/12-18

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<7h5$nUD6dWklFwKJ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10063&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10063

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:07:06 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:07 UTC

In message <1qmlsv1.1svwl17b83xfqN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> at
Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:52:21, Liz Tuddenham
<liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> writes
>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> When I try to use the ITV version of the BBC iPlayer (it seems to be
>> called itvX), they say they're sending a verification email to the email
>> address I've used to sign up with. The emails don't arrive (and no, I
>> don't _have_ a spam bin).
>>
>> I've tried using at least three emails - the latest done in an incognito
>> window, so no cookies or whatever should be involved.
>
>Is it an e-mail or is it an HTML webpagege sent by e-mail? If it is a
>webpage it could contain characters that trigger a spam warning some way
>back in the chain, so it never gets near your computer.

Or it might contain links to a webpage, that have been declared dodgy by
someone somewhere. I've had times when my outgoing emails have been
bounced by PlusNet's outgoing mail system (or, in reality, whoever they
subcontract that function to) if they contained certain URLs - even some
that I thought quite innocuous. Though - touch wood - not for many
months. (I proved to my satisfaction that that was what was triggering
the bouncing by mangling the URLs; the emails then got through.)

>Perhaps the e-mails are going through a gmail server somewhere. Gmail
>have been rejecting e-mails that don't contain some extra security
>feature, which is supposed to be optional. I have been having lots of
>trouble trying to send e-mails to gmail customers and getting them
>returned. Nobody seems to know how to switch off this 'feature'.

Andy Burns says he receives them, though that may not prove anything as
he receives emails via a different route to me.

Never rely on somebody else for your happiness.
- Bette Davis, quoted by Celia Imrie, RT 2014/3/12-18

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<kvdbtvF8k5hU12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10064&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10064

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:25:03 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:25 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> Andy Burns says he receives them, though that may not prove anything as
> he receives emails via a different route to me.

Do your mails get directed by Krystal to your Plusnet mailbox,or do you
have a Krystal mailbox?

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<kvdcvnF8k5hU13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10065&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10065

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:43:03 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:43 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> I have a similar arrangement - redirection through
> Krystal to PlusNet. Maybe Krystal do something slightly different

It should pass the DKIM/SPF tests that any reasonable provider will
apply nowadays (it comes from a server designated by itv.com and is
digitally signed by that server).

> I have had other such emails containing such things not arrive.
> (Though not all, i. e. some _have_ come through.) HTML mangling I'm
> used to, but that doesn't help if they don't arrive at all.
Maybe there's some spam filtering you can turn off at krystal?

The message I received doesn't look too spam-like, though it does begin
with a whole bunch of =E2=80=8C which are UTF-8 zero width non-joiner
characters, which could conceivably trigger some sort of "excessive
unicode" rule?

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<pZU75$JNlcklFwqI@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10066&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10066

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:04:29 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:04 UTC

In message <kvdcvnF8k5hU13@mid.individual.net> at Sun, 31 Dec 2023
14:43:03, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> I have a similar arrangement - redirection through Krystal to
>>PlusNet. Maybe Krystal do something slightly different
>
>It should pass the DKIM/SPF tests that any reasonable provider will
>apply nowadays (it comes from a server designated by itv.com and is
>digitally signed by that server).
>
>> I have had other such emails containing such things not arrive.
>> (Though not all, i. e. some _have_ come through.) HTML mangling I'm
>> used to, but that doesn't help if they don't arrive at all.
>Maybe there's some spam filtering you can turn off at krystal?

I raised the problem with Krystal (it was Ancestry emails). What seemed
like a very helpful person at Krystal said there was no sign of them
reaching him. We agreed to leave the ticket open. The new (or
rediscovered) ones from itvX will qualify to raise it again, but I'll
wait until after the bank holidays before I raise it with them again.

>The message I received doesn't look too spam-like, though it does begin
>with a whole bunch of =E2=80=8C which are UTF-8 zero width non-joiner
>characters, which could conceivably trigger some sort of "excessive
>unicode" rule?

I might mention that to them, thanks.

Actors are fairly modest...A lot of us have quite a lot to be modest about. -
Simon Greenall (voice of Aleksandr the "Simples!" Meerkat), RT 11-17 Dec 2010

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<dZQ25eKdpcklFwsM@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10067&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10067

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:09:01 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:09 UTC

In message <kvdbtvF8k5hU12@mid.individual.net> at Sun, 31 Dec 2023
14:25:03, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns says he receives them, though that may not prove anything
>>as he receives emails via a different route to me.
>
>Do your mails get directed by Krystal to your Plusnet mailbox,or do you
>have a Krystal mailbox?

In theory I have Krystal mailbox(es), but I have them forward all of it
to PlusNet. Mainly because it was easier not to have to change lots of
things, but also because - on their cheapest option, which I have, at
least, not sure about the others - they allocate me a fairly small (by
modern standards) space for both my website and mail until I fetch it.
Having it all forwarded to PN (who if they do have a limit it's so large
I forget about it) avoids that.

Actors are fairly modest...A lot of us have quite a lot to be modest about. -
Simon Greenall (voice of Aleksandr the "Simples!" Meerkat), RT 11-17 Dec 2010

Re: ITVX emails don't arrive

<unrakg$3f05o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10172&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10172

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:17:18 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:17 UTC

Could be you are looking at pop3?
Imapand webmail usually have spam bins. However if its always doing this
then it might just not be getting through the local servers bad email
filter which many email providers have but won't tell you about.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...