Hand me a pair of leather pants and a CASIO keyboard -- I'm living for today!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BT

SubjectAuthor
* Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BTSpike
`* Re: Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BTMike Collins
 `* Re: Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BTSpike
  `* Re: Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BTMike Collins
   +* Re: Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BTJNugent

1
Subject: Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BT
From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 15:45 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 15:45:28 +0000
View all headers

hulldailymail

Humberside Police worst in country for answering 999 calls - but force
blames BT lag

By Susie Beever Reporter

12:00, 31 MAY 2022

Humberside Police is the worst force in the country for answering 999
calls within a 10-second target.

Police chiefs in Humberside have hit out at allegedly erroneous figures
which appear to show the force as one of the country's worst for picking
up 999 calls.

Data released by the Home Office on Tuesday claims that just 2% of 999
calls directed to the force's control room between November and April
were picked up within 10 seconds. The average waiting time for someone
to pick up in this period was 12 seconds, according to the figures.

The vast majority of 999 calls to the force - 95% - were picked up
between 10 and 60 seconds, the figures show. A remaining 3% were picked
up after the one-minute mark.

However, Humberside Police has come out describing the figures as an
inaccurate reflection of what happens when making an emergency call to
police in the region. According the force, the figures are not
accounting for the time taken for operators BT to divert calls onto them.

Humberside's Deputy Chief said that, currently, the diversion was adding
an extra seven seconds onto people's calls - time which, in some cases,
people may not have. "I welcome any data that enables the public to see
how their local force is performing and we are committed to fully
supporting this approach," said DCC Paul Anderson.

"However, in this instance, the data presented does not accurately
reflect the call handling performance of 999 calls once these are passed
to Humberside Police. At present, despite representations, this data
still includes the whole journey of a 999 call.
Humberside Police are recruiting 999 and 101 non-emergency line call
handlers
The vast majority of 999 calls to Humberside in the last six months were
answered between 10 and 60 seconds, figures show

"This starts with a BT operator, and crucially, includes the time taken
for them to divert the call to Humberside Police. The time this process
takes varies significantly across the whole country, and in our region,
there are delays of up to 7 seconds for the call to be passed to
Humberside Police and this delay is currently included in this data."

The issue has been raised with the Home Office, the Deputy Chief
Constable added. "We are now working closely with communications
providers to understand why such delays sometimes occur in us being
passed the calls.

"Humberside Police have just moved to a state-of-the-art contact and
control centre, providing us with one of the UK's leading Police call
centres. Once the calls are received by Humberside Police, both 999 and
101 call handling performance remains one of the most timely and
effective in the country."

Other concerns have been raised that just one force in England and Wales
met the national target in the most recent six months. Guidelines
dictate that police should aim to be answering 90% of all 999 calls
within 10 seconds.

Police forces in England and Wales answered over 3.7 million calls in
under ten seconds and a further 1.2 million in under 60 seconds between
November 2021 and April this year. Neighbouring police force
Lincolnshire was quickest at answering, according to the figures, with
an average (median) answering time of three seconds.

Only Avon & Somerset met the 90% target, with 92% of 999 calls answered
within 10 seconds. The country's lead for police contact said the
figures overall painted a picture of "the high level of demand being
placed on call handlers on a daily basis".

Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd of the National Police Chiefs
Council (NPCC) said: "We know that there are sometimes lag times in
connecting calls to the police and these vary across the country,
however this isn’t for a member of public to resolve, it is for us
within policing to look at our infrastructure and work with our key
partners, including BT, to improve the experience of a member of public
calling 999."

ACC Todd reiterated the importance of only ever calling 999 in a genuine
emergency. “There is a huge amount of pressure put on call-handlers, who
work tireless to provide the right support and advice in someone’s time
of need, but we are far too often seeing some from within our society,
inappropriately using 999," he said.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/jobs/humberside-police-want-999-101-7127773

--
Spike

Subject: Re: Humberside Police shift 999 delays onto BT
From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:17 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 07:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 16:45:30 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
[...]

Underfunded, understaffed Police are too busy dealing with Cameras of Mass Destruction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHIeFmlvI8&t=508s
But if your house gets burgled they will give you a crime report number and tell you to claim off your insurance.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:51 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:51:15 +0000
View all headers
On 02/06/2022 14:17, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 16:45:30 UTC+1, Spike wrote:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/jobs/humberside-police-want-999-101-7127773

Underfunded, understaffed Police are too busy dealing with Cameras of Mass Destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHIeFmlvI8&t=508s

But if your house gets burgled they will give you a crime report number and tell you to claim off your insurance.

They could take the same course of action for the cyclist 'I wasn't hit
by a car' videos.

--
Spike

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 19:34 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 12:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 17:51:15 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 02/06/2022 14:17, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 16:45:30 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/jobs/humberside-police-want-999-101-7127773
Underfunded, understaffed Police are too busy dealing with Cameras of Mass Destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHIeFmlvI8&t=508s

But if your house gets burgled they will give you a crime report number and tell you to claim off your insurance.
They could take the same course of action for the cyclist 'I wasn't hit
by a car' videos.

--
Spike

So you believe drunk drivers should not be prosecuted unless they actually kill someone?
No harm, no foul, right?
I think I will get a MAC-10 street sweeper and randomly fire it into a crowd, so long as no one is injured no law has been broken.
Easier yet, KNO3, S and C in the proper proportions with some ball bearings for added effect.

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 23:55 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 00:55:56 +0100
View all headers
On 02/06/2022 08:34 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 17:51:15 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 02/06/2022 14:17, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 16:45:30 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/jobs/humberside-police-want-999-101-7127773
Underfunded, understaffed Police are too busy dealing with Cameras of Mass Destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHIeFmlvI8&t=508s

But if your house gets burgled they will give you a crime report number and tell you to claim off your insurance.
They could take the same course of action for the cyclist 'I wasn't hit
by a car' videos.

-- Spike

So you believe drunk drivers should not be prosecuted unless they actually kill someone?
No harm, no foul, right?

No. There is clear precedence for prosecution for driving over the limit, irrespective of any collision which may or may not have happened.

I think I will get a MAC-10 street sweeper and randomly fire it into a crowd, so long as no one is injured no law has been broken.
Easier yet, KNO3, S and C in the proper proportions with some ball bearings for added effect.

Please notify us in advance.

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 00:55 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 17:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Friday, 3 June 2022 at 00:56:04 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Exactly

I think I will get a MAC-10 street sweeper and randomly fire it into a crowd, so long as no one is injured no law has been broken.
Easier yet, KNO3, S and C in the proper proportions with some ball bearings for added effect.
Please notify us in advance.

That would defeat the object.

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 09:22 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 10:22:27 +0100
View all headers
On 03/06/2022 01:55 am, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Don't make us miss the entertaining bit after the police arrive and you try to explain your motives.

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 10:38 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 03:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Friday, 3 June 2022 at 10:22:30 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I take it you agree with me.

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 14:23 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:23:10 +0100
View all headers
On 03/06/2022 11:38 am, Mike Collins wrote:

[...]

Only to the extent that I believe you intend to do as you said.

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:07 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 09:07:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Friday, 3 June 2022 at 15:23:12 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

If I am ever declared terminal many motorists will see the Black Rabbit before me and then I will softly and suddenly vanish away, I already have my genuine fake passport and untraceable credit card to an offshore account.
But I am glad you agree it is not necessary to harm someone before you are tried for a motoring offence as you claimed in your Spike persona.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:42 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:42:31 +0000
View all headers
On 02/06/2022 19:34, Mike Collins wrote:
On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 17:51:15 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 02/06/2022 14:17, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 16:45:30 UTC+1, Spike wrote:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/jobs/humberside-police-want-999-101-7127773
Underfunded, understaffed Police are too busy dealing with Cameras of Mass Destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHIeFmlvI8&t=508s

But if your house gets burgled they will give you a crime report number and tell you to claim off your insurance.

They could take the same course of action for the cyclist 'I wasn't hit
by a car' videos.

So you believe drunk drivers should not be prosecuted unless they actually kill someone?
No harm, no foul, right?

And here was me thinking cyclists knew the law.

I think I will get a MAC-10 street sweeper and randomly fire it into a crowd, so long as no one is injured no law has been broken.

Easier yet, KNO3, S and C in the proper proportions with some ball bearings for added effect.

So many fields of knowledge...of which you display little familiarity.

--
Spike

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 18:19 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 11:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Friday, 3 June 2022 at 17:42:29 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
[...]

What happens when an immovable object encounters an irresistible force?

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 23:41 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 00:41:03 +0100
View all headers
On 03/06/2022 05:07 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

You can be rational when you choose.

Why do you choose rationality so infrequently?

[Which of us is - at least in your imagination - Mr Pounder?]

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 07:49 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 07:49:14 +0000
View all headers
On 03/06/2022 18:19, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

See what I mean?

--
Spike

1