"... all the modern inconveniences ..." -- Mark Twain

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?Tim+
`* Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?NY
 `* Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?Andy Burns
  `* Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?NY
   `* Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?Bob Eager
    `* Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?Andy Burns
     +- Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?Tim+
     `- Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?Adrian Caspersz

1
Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<1301733012.711443075.007870.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1002&group=uk.telecom#1002

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?
Date: 19 Jul 2023 07:05:14 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 07:05 UTC

Graham. <I.need.a.usenet.client@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me, "acknowledge the alert" simply means tapping an OK button
> to continue with your day. To me there is nothing implicit that a
> an actual ack message is sent from the handset, although "they"
> may wish it to appear that way.
>
> Like a lot of pedestrian crossings where the press button does no
> more than illuminate the "wait" indicator and has no influence on
> the timing of the green man.

You’ll have a long wait for the green man if you don’t press it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<u9ob2q$13oob$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1005&group=uk.telecom#1005

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:19:16 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:19 UTC

"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Graham. <I.need.a.usenet.client@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To me, "acknowledge the alert" simply means tapping an OK button
>> to continue with your day. To me there is nothing implicit that a
>> an actual ack message is sent from the handset, although "they"
>> may wish it to appear that way.
>>
>> Like a lot of pedestrian crossings where the press button does no
>> more than illuminate the "wait" indicator and has no influence on
>> the timing of the green man.
>>

> You’ll have a long wait for the green man if you don’t press it.

Except in areas such as north west London where there is a high proportion
of orthodox Jews. Apparently pedestrian lights in those areas have a cycle
which turns the lights green for the pedestrian every so often even if no
button is pressed, on a Saturday (their Sabbath) because orthodox Jews
believe in doing no work on a Saturday, and pressing the button on a pelican
crossing is classed as "doing work".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_pedestrian_crossing

I'm not sure what their attitude would be if lights had an IR sensor. Would
the act of walking into its range be classed as "doing work"?

My observation of (non-Sabbath) traffic lights with buttons is that they
sometimes turn in my favour within a few seconds of pressing the button when
I've observed them remaining in the favour of the traffic for a long time as
I;ve been approaching. That suggests cause and effect rather than just
turning the "Wait" light on and letting the timed cycle continue without any
influence from the pedestrian button.

Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<ki9q0kFcjf2U16@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1006&group=uk.telecom#1006

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:29:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:29 UTC

NY wrote:

> I'm not sure what their attitude would be if lights had an IR sensor.
> Would the act of walking into its range be classed as "doing work"?

I thought turning lights on was classed by their religion as "lighting a
fire" which is forbidden on the sabbath?

If the light was always on, and there was some form of lever which
altered shutters to make the red/green lights visible, that would
probably be OK!

Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<u9qqpn$1f9t3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1007&group=uk.telecom#1007

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:59:41 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 09:59 UTC

"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> NY wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what their attitude would be if lights had an IR sensor.
>> Would the act of walking into its range be classed as "doing work"?
>
> I thought turning lights on was classed by their religion as "lighting a
> fire" which is forbidden on the sabbath?
>
> If the light was always on, and there was some form of lever which
> altered shutters to make the red/green lights visible, that would probably
> be OK!

The rules seem to be very complicated. As with so many religious rules of
all religions, they haven't kept pace with modern life and so (IMHO) cease
to have any relevance to me. People need to see on a Saturday or Sunday.
They need to eat. They may need to wash their clothes - I heard of a case in
one of the very religious Scottish islands of a mother whose baby had a
severe gastric illness so she ran out of bedding / clothing for it, and she
was ostracised for using her washing machine on a Sunday, when she had no
realistic alternative.

I was at university with a Jewish woman from Finchley. She was a "normal
Jew" (her words) and she said that she couldn't get her brain around the
very strict regime of the Orthodox Jews. I think her only stipulation was
that her non-Jewish husband had to be circumcised before she would marry
him - greater love hath no man...

Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<kicft2F6ef3U19@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1013&group=uk.telecom#1013

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 26 Jul 2023 11:55:14 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:55 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:59:41 +0100, NY wrote:

> "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
>> NY wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure what their attitude would be if lights had an IR sensor.
>>> Would the act of walking into its range be classed as "doing work"?
>>
>> I thought turning lights on was classed by their religion as "lighting
>> a fire" which is forbidden on the sabbath?
>>
>> If the light was always on, and there was some form of lever which
>> altered shutters to make the red/green lights visible, that would
>> probably be OK!
>

> The rules seem to be very complicated. As with so many religious rules
> of all religions, they haven't kept pace with modern life and so (IMHO)
> cease to have any relevance to me. People need to see on a Saturday or
> Sunday. They need to eat. They may need to wash their clothes - I heard
> of a case in one of the very religious Scottish islands of a mother
> whose baby had a severe gastric illness so she ran out of bedding /
> clothing for it, and she was ostracised for using her washing machine on
> a Sunday, when she had no realistic alternative.

Also see 'eruv'.

Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<kich78Fr5t2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1015&group=uk.telecom#1015

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:17:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 12:17 UTC

Bob Eager wrote:

> Also see 'eruv'.

I've never spotted one, I've heard of them in London and Manchester ...

Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<652123175.712104911.272622.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1017&group=uk.telecom#1017

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 26 Jul 2023 22:55:57 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:55 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> Also see 'eruv'.
>
> I've never spotted one, I've heard of them in London and Manchester ...

I saw the one in Manhattan a few weeks ago. It exists!

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Have you ever heard anything so dumb?

<kiekkoF95ofU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1018&group=uk.telecom#1018

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:28:24 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 07:28 UTC

On 7/26/23 13:17, Andy Burns wrote:
> Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> Also see 'eruv'.
>
> I've never spotted one, I've heard of them in London and Manchester ...

We have a local one near and there are a few dotted around North London.

It's in an affluent area of Stanmore, with now even more affluent house
prices.

http://www.stanmore-eruv.org.uk/

Some enterprising individual should remove the string and replace it
with fibre ...

--
Adrian C