A diplomat's life consists of three things: protocol, Geritol, and alcohol. -- Adlai Stevenson

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

SubjectAuthor
* Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseWoody
+- Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseScott
`* Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseWoody
 `* Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseWoody
  `* Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseBrian Gaff
   +* Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleasecharles
   |+- Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseJ. P. Gilliver
   |`- Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseBrian Gaff
   `* Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseAndy Burns
    `- Re: Help with BBC iPlayer pleaseBrian Gaff

1
Help with BBC iPlayer please

<unrqfm$3hbao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10178&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10178

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Help with BBC iPlayer please
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:47:49 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:47 UTC

We have a Samsung UE32T5300 smart TV and have just started using iPlayer
on it.

However it seems that I have to register to get into it every time I
want to use it (or at least every time on a new day) despite the screen
saying my registration is active.

Is this normal or do I have a wrong setting on the TV such that it wipes
the registration every time, for instance, that we turn the TV off?

Any bright ideas gratefully received.

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<cmr2qitdq3jj9q4j3mnuntgrh0ggjh8rrv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10179&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10179

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:57:12 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:57 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:47:49 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>We have a Samsung UE32T5300 smart TV and have just started using iPlayer
>on it.
>
>However it seems that I have to register to get into it every time I
>want to use it (or at least every time on a new day) despite the screen
>saying my registration is active.
>
>Is this normal or do I have a wrong setting on the TV such that it wipes
>the registration every time, for instance, that we turn the TV off?
>
>Any bright ideas gratefully received.

If it is of any relevance, I got a message to say that BBC iPlayer
will soon not be supported by my iPad (IOS v12). This suggests that
something has changed or is about to be changed.

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<unrr2q$3hfau$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10180&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10180

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:58:02 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:58 UTC

On Fri 12/01/2024 16:47, Woody wrote:

> We have a Samsung UE32T5300 smart TV and have just started using iPlayer
> on it.
>
> However it seems that I have to register to get into it every time I
> want to use it (or at least every time on a new day) despite the screen
> saying my registration is active.
>
> Is this normal or do I have a wrong setting on the TV such that it wipes
> the registration every time, for instance, that we turn the TV off?
>
> Any bright ideas gratefully received.

Forget it - looks as though its a cookie problem.

Can't sort at moment, Management watching Digging For Britain!

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<uns6rs$3j5i7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10181&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10181

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:19:07 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:19 UTC

On Fri 12/01/2024 16:58, Woody wrote:
> On Fri 12/01/2024 16:47, Woody wrote:
>>
>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300 smart TV and have just started using
>> iPlayer on it.
>>
>> However it seems that I have to register to get into it every time I
>> want to use it (or at least every time on a new day) despite the
>> screen saying my registration is active.
>>
>> Is this normal or do I have a wrong setting on the TV such that it
>> wipes the registration every time, for instance, that we turn the TV off?
>>
>> Any bright ideas gratefully received.
>

> Forget it - looks as though its a cookie problem.
>
> Can't sort at moment, Management watching Digging For Britain!

Seems that the TV defaults to 'private' operation which means all the
cookies are wiped when you leave streaming.

For anyone interested, on the Samsung TV the option comes under:-

Setup>Broadcasting>Expert options>HbbTV

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<unu2ec$3un68$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10182&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10182

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:15:52 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:15 UTC

Yes I seem to recall that. What I'd like to know is why should they want to
know who we are in the first place. Thus far on devices I have an account
with Iplayer, bbc sounds and news. Surely could make these all under one
subscription, as they are all free.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Fri 12/01/2024 16:58, Woody wrote:
>> On Fri 12/01/2024 16:47, Woody wrote:
>>>
>>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300 smart TV and have just started using iPlayer
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> However it seems that I have to register to get into it every time I
>>> want to use it (or at least every time on a new day) despite the screen
>>> saying my registration is active.
>>>
>>> Is this normal or do I have a wrong setting on the TV such that it wipes
>>> the registration every time, for instance, that we turn the TV off?
>>>
>>> Any bright ideas gratefully received.
>>

>> Forget it - looks as though its a cookie problem.
>>
>> Can't sort at moment, Management watching Digging For Britain!
>

> Seems that the TV defaults to 'private' operation which means all the
> cookies are wiped when you leave streaming.
>
> For anyone interested, on the Samsung TV the option comes under:-
>
> Setup>Broadcasting>Expert options>HbbTV

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<5b221b434dcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10183&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10183

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 24 14:00:06 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: charles - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:00 UTC

In article <unu2ec$3un68$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I seem to recall that. What I'd like to know is why should they want
> to know who we are in the first place. Thus far on devices I have an
> account with Iplayer, bbc sounds and news. Surely could make these all
> under one subscription, as they are all free.

> Brian

I wonder if they are outsourced to different contractors

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<tLUlKZhSGrolFwb6@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10186&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10186

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:51:46 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:51 UTC

In message <5b221b434dcharles@candehope.me.uk> at Sat, 13 Jan 2024
14:00:06, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> writes
>In article <unu2ec$3un68$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
><brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes I seem to recall that. What I'd like to know is why should they want
>> to know who we are in the first place. Thus far on devices I have an
>> account with Iplayer, bbc sounds and news. Surely could make these all
>> under one subscription, as they are all free.
>
>> Brian
>
>I wonder if they are outsourced to different contractors

And/or that iPlayer requires a TV licence when you sign up for it. IIRR
at present you only have to say you have one, but that may change in the
future.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets
you. - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<l0g56mFqkpdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10187&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10187

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:04:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:04 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> Thus far on devices I have an account
> with Iplayer, bbc sounds and news. Surely could make these all under one
> subscription, as they are all free.

I (grudgingly) have a single BBC account, it works on all their services
you listed ...

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<uo32ro$t5h8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10189&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10189

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:53:44 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:53 UTC

I would not have thought it worth it. after all the front ends are mostly
web pages or in the case of audio, a skill on Alexa.
I notice that I can play bbc radio with no sounds sub if I say ask radio
player to play, before the station name and then you don't even get the
sounds jingle.
Brian

--

--:
"charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message
> In article <unu2ec$3un68$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes I seem to recall that. What I'd like to know is why should they want
>> to know who we are in the first place. Thus far on devices I have an
>> account with Iplayer, bbc sounds and news. Surely could make these all
>> under one subscription, as they are all free.
>
>> Brian
>
> I wonder if they are outsourced to different contractors
>
> --
> from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4t�
> "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

Re: Help with BBC iPlayer please

<uo330k$t64e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10190&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10190

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:56:19 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:56 UTC

I wonder how you did that, as on my Eccho news and sounds both prompt me to
use the alexa app to go to the page and then create a log in. Once you link
them its fine.
Brian

--

--: