From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: USB drives suddenly show no data
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 18:31:22 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 17:31 UTC

I have two USB drives (of several), both USB-cable-powered, which I use
to back up daily files.
Suddenly last night, they mounted ok, but only showed 'lost and found',
with no files at all, and no file transfer available. I tried
rebooting both the PC and the drives, but there was no change. They
are named Expansion_Drive and Expansion_Drive-2, for reference. The
names did not appear when they were connected, which again is unusual.
The former of these drives is normally connected all the time, the
latter only occasionally. This afternoon, I dug out an old laptop, and
connected Expansion_Drive to it. And it worked fine. I then
connected it to my normal PC instead, and it worked fine there as well.
Any ideas what happened? I am hoping that Expansion_Drive-2 will react
similarly.

--
Davey.

Re: USB drives suddenly show no data

<uafj55$jvfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1024&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1024

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: USB drives suddenly show no data
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 08:57:41 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 06:57 UTC

Am 30.07.2023 schrieb Davey <davey@example.invalid>:

> Suddenly last night, they mounted ok, but only showed 'lost and
> found', with no files at all, and no file transfer available. I tried
> rebooting both the PC and the drives, but there was no change. They
> are named Expansion_Drive and Expansion_Drive-2, for reference. The
> names did not appear when they were connected, which again is unusual.
> The former of these drives is normally connected all the time, the
> latter only occasionally. This afternoon, I dug out an old laptop, and
> connected Expansion_Drive to it. And it worked fine. I then
> connected it to my normal PC instead, and it worked fine there as
> well. Any ideas what happened? I am hoping that Expansion_Drive-2
> will react similarly.

Maybe a problem with USB power?
Try to only connect that drive to USB and nothing else.

Re: USB drives suddenly show no data

<uaflgt$l05k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1025&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1025

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 08:38:05 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 07:38 UTC

On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 08:57:41 +0200
Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> Am 30.07.2023 schrieb Davey <davey@example.invalid>:
>
> > Suddenly last night, they mounted ok, but only showed 'lost and
> > found', with no files at all, and no file transfer available. I
> > tried rebooting both the PC and the drives, but there was no
> > change. They are named Expansion_Drive and Expansion_Drive-2, for
> > reference. The names did not appear when they were connected, which
> > again is unusual. The former of these drives is normally connected
> > all the time, the latter only occasionally. This afternoon, I dug
> > out an old laptop, and connected Expansion_Drive to it. And it
> > worked fine. I then connected it to my normal PC instead, and it
> > worked fine there as well. Any ideas what happened? I am hoping
> > that Expansion_Drive-2 will react similarly.
>
> Maybe a problem with USB power?
> Try to only connect that drive to USB and nothing else.

Everything is working again. It is as though something in the USB
system in the HDDs had lost some instruction, or could not handshake
with the PC, and connecting them to a different PC restored that missing
flag.
As to what or how, I have no idea.

--
Davey.