From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Sweden to join NATO
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:55:17 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:55 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66160319

<quote>

BREAKING

Turkey's President Erdogan agrees to support Sweden's bid to join Nato, the alliance's chief Jens Stoltenberg says.

</quote>

Turkey just yesterday added even more conditions for ratifying Sweden's membership into NATO, specifically that the EU must move towards accepting Turkey as a member state.

It all sounds like propaganda hype from Stoltenberg to me, given Erdogan cannot simply ratify Sweden's membership without parliamentary approval, and nor can Hungary who also haven't so far and have no plans to do so.

I guess we'll know for sure in a few days time, or maybe even hours.

Re: Sweden to join NATO

<20230710210700.00002da9@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10338&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10338

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Sweden to join NATO
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:07:00 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:07 UTC

On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:55:17 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66160319
>
> <quote>
>
> BREAKING
>
> Turkey's President Erdogan agrees to support Sweden's bid to join
> Nato, the alliance's chief Jens Stoltenberg says.
>
> </quote>
>
> Turkey just yesterday added even more conditions for ratifying
> Sweden's membership into NATO, specifically that the EU must move
> towards accepting Turkey as a member state.
>
> It all sounds like propaganda hype from Stoltenberg to me, given
> Erdogan cannot simply ratify Sweden's membership without
> parliamentary approval, and nor can Hungary who also haven't so far
> and have no plans to do so.
>
> I guess we'll know for sure in a few days time, or maybe even hours.

Even minutes ...

<quotes>

"President Erdogan has agreed to forward the accession protocol for Sweden to the Grand National Assembly [Turkey's parliament] as soon as possible and work closely with the assembly to ensure ratification," Mr Stoltenberg said.

He described this as a "historic step", but stressed that a "clear date" could not be given for when Sweden could join the military alliance.

</quotes>

It's not really the historic step Stoltenberg claims it to be, and it's egg on the faces of all those delusional propagandists who had boldly proclaimed in recent days that Sweden would be a member of NATO by the time the conference ended.

I guess it was considered more palatable or strategically advantageous to admit that Sweden wasn't joining NATO at the start of the conference than the end.

I guess well done to the BBC for selling a damp squib as some kind of earth shattering development.

Re: Sweden to join NATO

<20230710212739.0000301a@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10339&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10339

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:27:39 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:27 UTC

On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:07:00 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> poited to:

> "President Erdogan has agreed to forward the accession protocol for
> Sweden to the Grand National Assembly [Turkey's parliament] as soon
> as possible and work closely with the assembly to ensure
> ratification," Mr Stoltenberg said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12284419/Turkey-backs-blocking-Swedens-bid-join-NATO.html

<quote>

Biden reacted to the news by indicating that a deal had been done on F-16 fighter jets for Turkey.

</quote>

Seems Erdogan is the big winner. He's got the F-16 jets he has long wanted while still being able to hold up the ratification process in parliament.

We will have to wait and see if the deal also involves lifting other sanctions America has placed on Turkey. Erdogan knows NATO desperately needs his support so he can eke out as many concessions as he can get.

This is what our "they need us more than we need them" brexit was meant to look like before we discovered that was simply a brextremist delusion and lie and the EU didn't need us at all.

Best of all for Erdogan; he knows he can do it all again when it comes to Ukraine's NATO membership bid.

Re: Sweden to join NATO

<t0%qM.43280$LQ3.24253@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10341&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10341

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 17:48:09 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:48 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:07:00 +0100
> The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> poited to:
>
>> "President Erdogan has agreed to forward the accession protocol for
>> Sweden to the Grand National Assembly [Turkey's parliament] as soon
>> as possible and work closely with the assembly to ensure
>> ratification," Mr Stoltenberg said.
>
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12284419/Turkey-backs-blocking-Swedens-bid-join-NATO.html
>
> <quote>
>
> Biden reacted to the news by indicating that a deal had been done on F-16 fighter jets for Turkey.
>
> </quote>
>
> Seems Erdogan is the big winner. He's got the F-16 jets he has long wanted while still being able to hold up the ratification process in parliament.

Not really, they wanted F-35's, not a 25 year old design - But
blackmailing niggers settle for what they can get.

Just YESTERDAY he was demanding EU membership to agree to Sweden in
NATO, guess someone set him straight on that in record time

Erdogan's NATO blackmail: Turkish president demands EU membership for
his country in return for him letting Sweden join military alliance

It's the first time that Turkey's bid to join EU was compared to
Sweden in NATO

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has demanded his country has
membership in the EU in return for him approving Sweden's membership in
NATO.

'Turkey has been waiting at the door of the European Union for over 50
years now, and almost all of the NATO member countries are now members
of the European Union,' Erdogan told reporters in Istanbul.

'I am making this call to these countries that have kept Turkey waiting
at the gates of the European Union for more than 50 years.'

When you pave the way for Turkey, we'll pave the way for Sweden as we
did for Finland,' he added.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12283171/Turkish-president-Erdogan-demands-EU-membership-return-letting-Sweden-join-military-alliance.html

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: Sweden to join NATO