Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 00:00:03 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: aspect ratios again (kids prog.s evening)
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 00:00 UTC

Interesting evening about Kid's Programmes on BBC4 this evening:

7 the Golden Age of
8 Bagpuss 1:1
8:15 Bagpuss 1:2
8:30 SmallFilms
9:30 the Surprising Story

The 9:30 prog. re-used a lot of the same material as the 7 prog.!

In both of those, most - all, I think - actual moving clips were shown
with the correct aspect ratio - older material 4:3 letterboxed,
widescreen material widescreen. (I think the older material was
broadcast with black sides rather than them continuously changing the
flag, but that's probably OK.)

But occasionally, some - I think only stills - that were shown in 4:3
were definitely squashed horizontally (as if they were wider shots that
had been _wrongly_ 4:3'd). Seems a pity that someone who had taken care
with most of the prog. to get material right, had made this error. And
no, it isn't my set this time - I watched the earlier prog. later
online, and it was the same.

If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!

Re: aspect ratios again (kids prog.s evening)

<uqd1ec$1fugl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10423&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10423

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: aspect ratios again (kids prog.s evening)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 12:03:22 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 12:03 UTC

Maybe it had been altered or updated during the intervening years and nobody
had checked?
Brian

--

--: