Q: What do you call the scratches that you get when a female sheep bites you? A: Ewe nicks.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Alternative to Google Groups

SubjectAuthor
* Alternative to Google GroupsMarco Moock
+- Re: Alternative to Google GroupsJohn Williamson
+* Re: Alternative to Google GroupsLiz Tuddenham
|+- Re: Alternative to Google GroupsJohn Williamson
|`- Re: Alternative to Google GroupsMarco Moock
`- Re: Alternative to Google GroupsJ. P. Gilliver

1
Alternative to Google Groups

<uqj3u6$2ouf5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10458&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10458

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Alternative to Google Groups
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:22:45 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 19:22 UTC

This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
newsgroup using Google Groups.

Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.

For those who do not know Usenet:

Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
here.

You need to use an NNTP server with a so called newsreader.

As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
https://www.eternal-september.org/
https://solani.org/
https://www.i2pn2.org/

For using it, you need a newsreader.

Some examples are:
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
called NNTP.

For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
settings.

For Thunderbird, a tutorial is available here:
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet

For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
the group news.software.readers.

Re: Alternative to Google Groups

<l34kpfFnt7uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10459&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10459

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Alternative to Google Groups
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:06:07 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:06 UTC

On 14/02/2024 19:22, Marco Moock wrote:
> This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
> newsgroup using Google Groups.
>
> Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.
>
> For those who do not know Usenet:

<Snip some usefulhits>

Giganews is still live and offers a web interface. It's not free, though.

https://giganews.com/usenet-special/?cjevent=2a5e5308cb7411ee80a000090a18ba73

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Alternative to Google Groups

<1qoxpd5.11duqavdclnvyN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10460&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10460

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:13:57 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:13 UTC

Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
> newsgroup using Google Groups.
>
> Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.
>
> For those who do not know Usenet:
[...]

Presumably those who do not know Usenet will not be able to read this,
so what is the point of posting it?

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Alternative to Google Groups

<l34mimFo6nfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10461&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10461

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:36:38 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:36 UTC

On 14/02/2024 20:13, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>
>> This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
>> newsgroup using Google Groups.
>>
>> Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.
>>
>> For those who do not know Usenet:
> [...]
>
> Presumably those who do not know Usenet will not be able to read this,
> so what is the point of posting it?

The OP will appear in their Google Groups feed, They are not due to
de-peer until the 22nd.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Alternative to Google Groups

<LGspnfNWmVzlFwmK@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10463&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10463

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 00:23:50 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 00:23 UTC

In message <uqj3u6$2ouf5$2@dont-email.me> at Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:22:45,
Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> writes
>This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
>newsgroup using Google Groups.

I think you mean _this_ newsgroup (rather than _that_).

>Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.

On the 22nd, apparently.

>For those who do not know Usenet:
>
>Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
>Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
>stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
>here.
>
>You need to use an NNTP server with a so called newsreader.
>
>As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
>https://www.eternal-september.org/
>https://solani.org/
>https://www.i2pn2.org/
>
>For using it, you need a newsreader.
>
>Some examples are:
>https://www.thunderbird.net
>https://www.betterbird.eu/
>https://claws-mail.org/
>https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>
>You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
>called NNTP.

NNTP is the protocol. Don't let the word "account" worry you - money
does not have to be involved.

>For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
>settings.

Though that's no different to using google groups, AFAIK.

>For Thunderbird, a tutorial is available here:
>https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet
>
>For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
>the group news.software.readers.

Also, many news servers have a webpage specifically about setting up
with the common readers - for example, I think eternal-september has a
page on how to set it up with Thunderbird.

What has happened since 1979, I suspect, is that the spotting of mistakes has
become entirely associated with mean-spiritedness, snobbishness and
judgementalism. But...can be...funny and interesting.
Lynn Truss, RT 2015/2/21-27

Re: Alternative to Google Groups

<uqn2oi$3o9gl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10476&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10476

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:27:13 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 07:27 UTC

On 14.02.2024 um 20:13 Uhr Liz Tuddenham wrote:

> Presumably those who do not know Usenet will not be able to read this,
> so what is the point of posting it?

In this group are posters using GG. They can read that and can switch
to another service.

--
kind regards
Marco