From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Another brexit bonanza
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:54:52 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:54 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66224588

<quotes>

Visa rules are being eased for overseas builders, carpenters and people working in the fishing industry, the Home Office has confirmed.

The Migration Advisory Committee said adding construction workers to the shortage list would not make a major difference to overall migration figures.

No 10 denied the move contradicted government attempts to cut immigration.

</quotes>

It's hard to see how increasing the number of migrants we take in isn't counter to government promises to reduce the number we take in.

And hard to see, if construction needs won't bring in that many, why they need to be on the list.

Of course, when immigration stands at 1.2 million a year, even tens of thousands more coming in doesn't make much of a difference.

Yay! Brexit!

Re: Another brexit bonanza

<3DetM.291715$Bq67.171675@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10496&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10496

Subject: Re: Another brexit bonanza
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:11:28 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:11 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66224588
>
> <quotes>
>
> Visa rules are being eased for overseas builders, carpenters and people working in the fishing industry, the Home Office has confirmed.
>
> The Migration Advisory Committee said adding construction workers to the shortage list would not make a major difference to overall migration figures.
>
> No 10 denied the move contradicted government attempts to cut immigration.
>
> </quotes>
>
> It's hard to see how increasing the number of migrants we take in isn't counter to government promises to reduce the number we take in.
>
> And hard to see, if construction needs won't bring in that many, why they need to be on the list.
>
> Of course, when immigration stands at 1.2 million a year, even tens of thousands more coming in doesn't make much of a difference.
>
> Yay! Brexit!

Perhaps people with skills who can support themselves and contribute to
society are more desirable than people who just float over, breed, sell
drugs and steal and soak up benefits ?

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Another brexit bonanza