From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Soaring food prices
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:43:33 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:43 UTC

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1792025/supermarkets-inflation-food-prices-cost-of-living

<quotes>

Shoppers pay the price of 'shocking inflation' as food triples in cost

Some supermarket products have nearly tripled in price in the past two years as the cost-of-living crisis bites.

Sue Davies, Which? head of food policy, said: "Our research exposes the shocking true scale of food price inflation at supermarkets since the cost-of-living crisis began.

"Recent headline-grabbing price cuts of a few pence on some products are encouraging, but simply won’t be enough to help people struggling to put food on the table.”

Helen Dickinson, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium, said: "The hard work being done by retailers to absorb cost increases means the UK offers among the cheapest grocery prices in Europe."

</quotes>

I am not sure anyone believes that, hasn't figured out that a 30% saving for having a loyalty card isn't actually a 50% penalty for not having one.

But there's nothing we can do and the government doesn't intend to do anything except let the supermarkets price gouge us.

And, with Ukraine attacking Russia to ensure they wouldn't renew the grain export deal, prices will only be going higher.

Re: Soaring food prices

<fljtM.157$U3w1.144@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10507&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10507

Subject: Re: Soaring food prices
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:33:49 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 22:33 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1792025/supermarkets-inflation-food-prices-cost-of-living
>
> <quotes>
>
> Shoppers pay the price of 'shocking inflation' as food triples in cost
>
> Some supermarket products have nearly tripled in price in the past two years as the cost-of-living crisis bites.
>
> Sue Davies, Which? head of food policy, said: "Our research exposes the shocking true scale of food price inflation at supermarkets since the cost-of-living crisis began.
>
> "Recent headline-grabbing price cuts of a few pence on some products are encouraging, but simply won’t be enough to help people struggling to put food on the table.”
>
> Helen Dickinson, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium, said: "The hard work being done by retailers to absorb cost increases means the UK offers among the cheapest grocery prices in Europe."
>
> </quotes>
>
> I am not sure anyone believes that, hasn't figured out that a 30% saving for having a loyalty card isn't actually a 50% penalty for not having one.
>
> But there's nothing we can do and the government doesn't intend to do anything except let the supermarkets price gouge us.
>
> And, with Ukraine attacking Russia to ensure they wouldn't renew the grain export deal, prices will only be going higher.

Oh well, suck it up. There's nothing you are going to do about it,
nothing you can do about it.

Re: Soaring food prices

<20230718140541.00005615@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10514&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10514

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:05:41 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:05 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:33:49 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1792025/supermarkets-inflation-food-prices-cost-of-living
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > Shoppers pay the price of 'shocking inflation' as food triples in
> > cost
> >
> > Some supermarket products have nearly tripled in price in the past
> > two years as the cost-of-living crisis bites.
> >
> > Sue Davies, Which? head of food policy, said: "Our research exposes
> > the shocking true scale of food price inflation at supermarkets
> > since the cost-of-living crisis began.
> >
> > "Recent headline-grabbing price cuts of a few pence on some
> > products are encouraging, but simply won’t be enough to help people
> > struggling to put food on the table.”
> >
> > Helen Dickinson, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium,
> > said: "The hard work being done by retailers to absorb cost
> > increases means the UK offers among the cheapest grocery prices in
> > Europe."
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > I am not sure anyone believes that, hasn't figured out that a 30%
> > saving for having a loyalty card isn't actually a 50% penalty for
> > not having one.
> >
> > But there's nothing we can do and the government doesn't intend to
> > do anything except let the supermarkets price gouge us.
> >
> > And, with Ukraine attacking Russia to ensure they wouldn't renew
> > the grain export deal, prices will only be going higher.
>
> Oh well, suck it up. There's nothing you are going to do about it,
> nothing you can do about it.

Yes, we have to suck it up for now, but there is plenty which can be done, is being done, and things I am doing about it.

And I am doing a lot more than sitting on my backside and whinging to foreigners who don't give a fuck.

It has already had an effect but you will have to take my word for it as I'm not publicly revealing what I am involved in or doing, not while we have a fascist government which criminalizes protest.

Re: Soaring food prices

<s3AtM.6450$AsA.4151@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10519&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10519

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:35:21 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:35 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:33:49 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> The Happy Hippy wrote:
>>> https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1792025/supermarkets-inflation-food-prices-cost-of-living
>>>
>>> <quotes>
>>>
>>> Shoppers pay the price of 'shocking inflation' as food triples in
>>> cost
>>>
>>> Some supermarket products have nearly tripled in price in the past
>>> two years as the cost-of-living crisis bites.
>>>
>>> Sue Davies, Which? head of food policy, said: "Our research exposes
>>> the shocking true scale of food price inflation at supermarkets
>>> since the cost-of-living crisis began.
>>>
>>> "Recent headline-grabbing price cuts of a few pence on some
>>> products are encouraging, but simply won’t be enough to help people
>>> struggling to put food on the table.”
>>>
>>> Helen Dickinson, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium,
>>> said: "The hard work being done by retailers to absorb cost
>>> increases means the UK offers among the cheapest grocery prices in
>>> Europe."
>>>
>>> </quotes>
>>>
>>> I am not sure anyone believes that, hasn't figured out that a 30%
>>> saving for having a loyalty card isn't actually a 50% penalty for
>>> not having one.
>>>
>>> But there's nothing we can do and the government doesn't intend to
>>> do anything except let the supermarkets price gouge us.
>>>
>>> And, with Ukraine attacking Russia to ensure they wouldn't renew
>>> the grain export deal, prices will only be going higher.
>>
>> Oh well, suck it up. There's nothing you are going to do about it,
>> nothing you can do about it.
>
> Yes, we have to suck it up for now, but there is plenty which can be done, is being done, and things I am doing about it.
>
> And I am doing a lot more than sitting on my backside and whinging to foreigners who don't give a fuck.
>
> It has already had an effect but you will have to take my word for it as I'm not publicly revealing what I am involved in or doing, not while we have a fascist government which criminalizes protest.

Oh hippy, the big urban terrorist, anitfa gone wild !
[And no, of course I am not going to take the word of a renowned, proven
liar for anything, least of all self serving, chest thumping drivel]

Re: Soaring food prices

<20230718193449.00003f6c@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10520&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10520

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:34:49 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:34 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:35:21 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:33:49 -0400
> > JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> >> Oh well, suck it up. There's nothing you are going to do about it,
> >> nothing you can do about it.
> >
> > Yes, we have to suck it up for now, but there is plenty which can
> > be done, is being done, and things I am doing about it.
> >
> > And I am doing a lot more than sitting on my backside and whinging
> > to foreigners who don't give a fuck.
> >
> > It has already had an effect but you will have to take my word for
> > it as I'm not publicly revealing what I am involved in or doing,
> > not while we have a fascist government which criminalizes protest.
>
> Oh hippy, the big urban terrorist, anitfa gone wild !

And you're my Barbie Girl, from you trans-gay world. You're fantastic, a full-on spastic.

Re: Soaring food prices

<WfGtM.40826$8O5b.17854@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10526&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10526

From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 00:38:14 GMT
 by: TWP - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 00:38 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:43:33 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:

> https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1792025/supermarkets-inflation-food-
prices-cost-of-living

> <quotes>
>
> Shoppers pay the price of 'shocking inflation' as food triples in cost
>
> Some supermarket products have nearly tripled in price in the past two
> years as the cost-of-living crisis bites.
>
> Sue Davies, Which? head of food policy, said: "Our research exposes the
> shocking true scale of food price inflation at supermarkets since the
> cost-of-living crisis began.
>
> "Recent headline-grabbing price cuts of a few pence on some products are
> encouraging, but simply won’t be enough to help people struggling to put
> food on the table.”
>
> Helen Dickinson, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium, said:
> "The hard work being done by retailers to absorb cost increases means
> the UK offers among the cheapest grocery prices in Europe."
>
> </quotes>
>
> I am not sure anyone believes that, hasn't figured out that a 30% saving
> for having a loyalty card isn't actually a 50% penalty for not having
> one.

I always declined loyalty cards when I was offered them - I wasn't
comfortable with the idea of giving away information about myself. It was
probably my loss, but it just made my spider senses tingle.

I've heard other reports saying that food inflation has peaked. We shall
see. It was nice to see energy costs go down a bit but I read somewhere
that the reduction is mostly down to falling demand not because the
situation has improved. Inflation is still high even if it's a little
lower than it was and there's still a war in Ukraine.

> But there's nothing we can do and the government doesn't intend to do
> anything except let the supermarkets price gouge us.
>
> And, with Ukraine attacking Russia to ensure they wouldn't renew the
> grain export deal, prices will only be going higher.

Re: Soaring food prices

<a5JtM.43797$TCKc.16858@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10529&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10529

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 23:51:35 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 03:51 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:35:21 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> The Happy Hippy wrote:

>>> Yes, we have to suck it up for now, but there is plenty which can
>>> be done, is being done, and things I am doing about it.
>>>
>>> And I am doing a lot more than sitting on my backside and whinging
>>> to foreigners who don't give a fuck.
>>>
>>> It has already had an effect but you will have to take my word for
>>> it as I'm not publicly revealing what I am involved in or doing,
>>> not while we have a fascist government which criminalizes protest.
>>
>> Oh hippy, the big urban terrorist, anitfa gone wild !
>
> And you're my Barbie Girl, from you trans-gay world. You're fantastic, a full-on spastic.

Sounds suitably gay, especially coming from an unmarried, childless knob
polisher like you

Re: Soaring food prices

<20230719104505.00005bdc@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10535&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10535

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 10:45:05 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:45 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 00:38:14 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:43:33 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:
>
> > https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1792025/supermarkets-inflation-food-
> >
> prices-cost-of-living
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > Shoppers pay the price of 'shocking inflation' as food triples in
> > cost
> >
> > Some supermarket products have nearly tripled in price in the past
> > two years as the cost-of-living crisis bites.
> >
> > Sue Davies, Which? head of food policy, said: "Our research exposes
> > the shocking true scale of food price inflation at supermarkets
> > since the cost-of-living crisis began.
> >
> > "Recent headline-grabbing price cuts of a few pence on some
> > products are encouraging, but simply won’t be enough to help people
> > struggling to put food on the table.”
> >
> > Helen Dickinson, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium,
> > said: "The hard work being done by retailers to absorb cost
> > increases means the UK offers among the cheapest grocery prices in
> > Europe."
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > I am not sure anyone believes that, hasn't figured out that a 30%
> > saving for having a loyalty card isn't actually a 50% penalty for
> > not having one.
> >

> I always declined loyalty cards when I was offered them - I wasn't
> comfortable with the idea of giving away information about myself.
> It was probably my loss, but it just made my spider senses tingle.

I refused them as well for the same reason, but when it's a 50% surcharge and more for not having one it's time to reconsider that position.

There is no way whatever data they are collecting is worth the discounts they are offering. And there is no way the discounted price isn't still making them a profit. It's staggering how much money they are stealing.

I have taken to making shelf stickers which point that out to shoppers who haven't been bright enough to figure that out for themselves.

The only thing we can do is increase resentment at being ripped off, make people realise they would be better off with a different government which doesn't support ripping us off.

I was initially surprised how long the stickers stayed on the shelves. Then realised that shelf stackers are victims too so they just leave them be.

> I've heard other reports saying that food inflation has peaked. We
> shall see.

You mean price-gouging has ended.

Maybe. It seems to me they have simply moved into other ways such as loyalty card surcharges and their other price gouging tricks are still in play.

Have you noticed that many supermarkets have refitted their stores ? They claim they are investing to try and minimise costs. It's really to keep their headline profits low to help hide the obscene levels of gouging.

> It was nice to see energy costs go down a bit but I read
> somewhere that the reduction is mostly down to falling demand not
> because the situation has improved. Inflation is still high even if
> it's a little lower than it was and there's still a war in Ukraine.

It has done its job because prices are never coming down significantly. They have effectively halved wages and halved the value of savings.

That was the plan all along.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Soaring food prices