From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: BBC Scotland scrapping 'The Nine'
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:58:50 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:58 UTC

I see BBC Scotland are scrapping 'The Nine'.

For year Glasgow has always pushed for their own one hour news
programme, what size of audience did it get? I have seen it and never
heard anyone mentioning that they had watched it.

I see

"one episode of The Nine was watched by 1,700 people and that The Seven
had attracted an audience of 200 viewers on one day in January."

"He said The Nine reached more than 100,000 viewers every week and The
Seven reached more than 20,000, "

How many watch the national news?

Does 'reaching' 100,000 mean a total of 100,000 over the week i.e.
20,000 per programme?

Re: BBC Scotland scrapping 'The Nine'

<ifc9ti52in3t5a5vf768g8biafg4ri3mr0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10513&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10513

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: BBC Scotland scrapping 'The Nine'
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:27:17 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:27 UTC

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:58:50 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>I see BBC Scotland are scrapping 'The Nine'.
>
>For year Glasgow has always pushed for their own one hour news
>programme, what size of audience did it get? I have seen it and never
>heard anyone mentioning that they had watched it.
>
>I see
>
>"one episode of The Nine was watched by 1,700 people and that The Seven
>had attracted an audience of 200 viewers on one day in January."
>
>"He said The Nine reached more than 100,000 viewers every week and The
>Seven reached more than 20,000, "
>
>How many watch the national news?
>
>Does 'reaching' 100,000 mean a total of 100,000 over the week i.e.
>20,000 per programme?

Scotland 2014 onwards (Sarah Smith, Shelley Jofre, Laura Maciver) on
the former BBC Two Scotland I believe got low audience ratings.
Interestingly, there was a choice between Newsnight on HD and Scotland
2014 on SD. I am not surprised that its successor also attracted low
audiences.

It goes back to an old argument about a 'Scottish Six' whereby the
entire news programme would be presented from Scotland. I never saw
the point of that as I am sure they would show the same clips and same
correspondents as the 'London' programme.

I wonder about the point of a dedicated BBC Scotland channel and how
much it costs per viewer. They could just put a few bonus programmes
on iPlayer.

Re: BBC Scotland scrapping 'The Nine'

<bo0atitrrgf7n03dq3n9gloa9t6iviggbm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10514&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10514

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:54:20 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:54 UTC

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:58:50 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>I see BBC Scotland are scrapping 'The Nine'.

If anyone is interested, the head of news is going to be on tonight's
programme (20 February) to explain the change.