"You can't teach people to be lazy - either they have it, or they don't." -- Dagwood Bumstead

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Israel becomes a dictatorship

SubjectAuthor
* Israel becomes a dictatorshipThe Happy Hippy
+* Israel becomes a dictatorshipTWP
|`* Israel becomes a dictatorshipTWP
| +- Israel becomes a dictatorshipThe Happy Hippy
| `* Israel becomes a dictatorshipLoose Cannon
|  `- Israel becomes a dictatorshipJeSSe
`- Israel becomes a dictatorshipThe Happy Hippy

1
Israel becomes a dictatorship

<20230724170047.00006589@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10622&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10622

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Israel becomes a dictatorship
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:00:47 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:00 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66258416

<quotes>

Israeli MPs have passed into law a highly controversial bill despite mass protests which aimed to thwart it.

The law removes the power of the Supreme Court to overrule government actions it considers unreasonable.

It is the first to be approved in a series of bitterly contested reforms aimed at curbing the power of courts.

</quotes>

We'll be getting the same if tory scum get their way.

It's no surprise. It's what fascist regimes do.

Re: Israel becomes a dictatorship

<j1zvM.210861$DZcb.7504@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10626&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10626

From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Re: Israel becomes a dictatorship
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:02:55 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:02 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:00:47 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66258416
>
> <quotes>
>
> Israeli MPs have passed into law a highly controversial bill despite
> mass protests which aimed to thwart it.
>
> The law removes the power of the Supreme Court to overrule government
> actions it considers unreasonable.
>
> It is the first to be approved in a series of bitterly contested reforms
> aimed at curbing the power of courts.
>
> </quotes>
>
> We'll be getting the same if tory scum get their way.
>
> It's no surprise. It's what fascist regimes do.

Considering what they went through historically you'd think Israel would
have learned more lessons from history than they have. They must be
planning something big if they need to remove even the few moral/legal
standards they're actually held to first.

They could have set a higher standard. Anyone can act like Israel does.

Re: Israel becomes a dictatorship

<XULvM.123597$Vfvc.3018@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10634&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10634

From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:41:27 GMT
 by: TWP - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:41 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:02:55 +0000, TWP wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:00:47 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:
>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66258416
>>
>> <quotes>
>>
>> Israeli MPs have passed into law a highly controversial bill despite
>> mass protests which aimed to thwart it.
>>
>> The law removes the power of the Supreme Court to overrule government
>> actions it considers unreasonable.
>>
>> It is the first to be approved in a series of bitterly contested
>> reforms aimed at curbing the power of courts.
>>
>> </quotes>
>>
>> We'll be getting the same if tory scum get their way.
>>
>> It's no surprise. It's what fascist regimes do.
>

> Considering what they went through historically you'd think Israel would
> have learned more lessons from history than they have. They must be
> planning something big if they need to remove even the few moral/legal
> standards they're actually held to first.
>
> They could have set a higher standard. Anyone can act like Israel does.

YT Comment (Styx)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ_aWS8FBzQ

I think the commentator misses a point - it's not just a small change,
it's obviously being done at some degree of political cost so it's worth
that price and it also ignores having a 'separation of powers' that the
democracies tend to live by even if they don't like it very much.

I suppose I don't know all the details but it sounds like more of a
convenience than a necessity.

Re: Israel becomes a dictatorship

<20230725121727.00001c90@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10637&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10637

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:17:27 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:17 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:41:27 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:02:55 +0000, TWP wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:00:47 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> >
> >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66258416
> >>
> >> <quotes>
> >>
> >> Israeli MPs have passed into law a highly controversial bill
> >> despite mass protests which aimed to thwart it.
> >>
> >> The law removes the power of the Supreme Court to overrule
> >> government actions it considers unreasonable.
> >>
> >> It is the first to be approved in a series of bitterly contested
> >> reforms aimed at curbing the power of courts.
> >>
> >> </quotes>
> >>
> >> We'll be getting the same if tory scum get their way.
> >>
> >> It's no surprise. It's what fascist regimes do.
> >

> > Considering what they went through historically you'd think Israel
> > would have learned more lessons from history than they have. They
> > must be planning something big if they need to remove even the few
> > moral/legal standards they're actually held to first.
> >
> > They could have set a higher standard. Anyone can act like Israel
> > does.
>
> YT Comment (Styx)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ_aWS8FBzQ
>
> I think the commentator misses a point - it's not just a small
> change, it's obviously being done at some degree of political cost so
> it's worth that price

I'm not sure it has any political costs. Israel voted for fascists, wanted fascism, and that's what they've got. I can't see that diminishing support. It might increase support for anti-fascists but they are in the minority so don't really matter.

And, once laws against anti-fascist are enacted, there will be far fewer of them.

> and it also ignores having a 'separation of
> powers' that the democracies tend to live by even if they don't like
> it very much.
>
> I suppose I don't know all the details but it sounds like more of a
> convenience than a necessity.

I would say it is ideological, and therefore necessary for fascists.

It all comes down to whether one believes there should be checks and balances on power.

Fascists believe they should be able to do whatever they want and it's unreasonable for the courts to say that what they want is unreasonable and prevent it.

It's the same reason tory scum here want to cripple our courts. They believe that when they decide they have a legal duty to deport migrants to Rwanda, the courts should not be able to prevent them doing so. They believe that when they define migrants as illegal the courts must not be allowed to decide they are not.

If parliament decides someone is a witch who needs to be burnt at the stake, why should the courts be able to decide she isn't and mustn't be ?

It's just an extension of brexit where people here decided they didn't want the ECJ and ECHR stopping us doing whatever we want to do.

I believe there should be checks and balances but fascists don't. They don't believe anyone but themselves should get to decide how things will be. And they also believe everyone who doesn't agree with them are enemies of the people who need to be punished or eradicated.

That's the inherent danger in fascism, that it's not democracy, it only represents the fascists holding power. Fuck everyone else, fuck "tolerance", and fuck "woke". Fuck everyone who isn't a fascist or doesn't agree with us.

If Israel wants to embark on Palestinian genocide why should the courts or anyone else be allowed to stop them, go against the will of the people ?

It is shocking that Israel has so quickly forgotten what the price was for being on the wrong side of what fascists want, that the majority have decided Hitler was right.

But much of the world is swinging that way, and that includes the UK.

Re: Israel becomes a dictatorship

<20230725125936.00002f01@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10639&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10639

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:59:36 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:59 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:00:47 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> pointed to:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66258416
: > Israeli MPs have passed into law a highly controversial bill despite
> mass protests which aimed to thwart it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66258416

<quotes>

Israeli police clashed with crowds of protesters at night after parliament adopted a highly controversial law to limit the Supreme Court's powers.

Police in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv used water cannon to disperse protesters blocking highways.

A political watchdog group and centrist opposition leader Yair Lapid plan to petition the Supreme Court to annul the new law.

</quotes>

I am surprised they only used water cannons. For comparison the UK has made peaceful protest illegal with protestors facing a year in jail, an unlimited fine, and being banned from ever protesting again, with more severe punishment if they do. That's how one does oppression properly.

It will be interesting to see what Israel's Supreme Court does, whether it accepts being neutered or stands up to that as it should.

Whatever it decides it seems likely to be the catalyst for some kind of civil war as those who support democracy stand-off against the fascists claiming to be doing the will of the people.

There doesn't seem to be any country which isn't equally divided and polarised and ready to enact the same fight - except those who are already dictatorships and have eradicated their opponents.

It wasn't that long ago we all believed fascism to be the most evil force on earth, that the only good fascist was a dead one, but now around half believe fascism, its ruthless intolerance and hatred, is better than democracy and freedom.

Our recent ancestors who gave their lives fighting fascism must be turning in their graves. I can't imagine the Big Guy sitting on His cloud applauding the eradication and oppression of half his creations. Fascists believe The Other Guy will, and they are definitely right.

Re: Israel becomes a dictatorship

<u9orn6$btj$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10642&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10642

From: efbregg73@gmx-xx.comm (Loose Cannon)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:02:46 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: rjac@shell02.TheWorld.com (NoSpamAtAll)
 by: Loose Cannon - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:02 UTC

I chatted with an Israeli guy who's a post-doctoral researcher in a
group I'm affiliated with.

He says that one goal of this law is to save Netanyahu from jail or
impeachment, but the main driving force behind it are the orthodox
parties, without which Netanyahu does not have a majority and can't
rule. What they want is more funding and, especially, to obtain a
total exemption for the orthodox from being drafted to the army
(which is a mandatory three years service).

He says that Israel is doomed, since the orthodox (and religious in
general) are multiplying far faster than the secular Jews (who are
still the majority), and that they will not be able to coexist, that
it will end in a civil war or some other type of disintegration.

So be it... they will have only themselves to blame. From my POV,
we should stop giving them money and F-35s.

Re: Israel becomes a dictatorship

<U00wM.191852$AsA.29997@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10653&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10653

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 23:02:11 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 03:02 UTC

Loose Cannon wrote:
> I chatted with an Israeli guy who's a post-doctoral researcher in a
> group I'm affiliated with.
>
> He says that one goal of this law is to save Netanyahu from jail or
> impeachment, but the main driving force behind it are the orthodox
> parties, without which Netanyahu does not have a majority and can't
> rule. What they want is more funding and, especially, to obtain a
> total exemption for the orthodox from being drafted to the army
> (which is a mandatory three years service).
>
> He says that Israel is doomed, since the orthodox (and religious in
> general) are multiplying far faster than the secular Jews (who are
> still the majority), and that they will not be able to coexist, that
> it will end in a civil war or some other type of disintegration.
>
> So be it... they will have only themselves to blame. From my POV,
> we should stop giving them money and F-35s.

Wow, a JOO Vs JOO civil war, don't know how I'd pick a side in that one.

Usually, the groups who contribute least to a society and drain it the
most are also the ones who breed the most, blacks and aztecs here, for
example.
Don't know if that is the case in the jew state, but there must be some
logical/societal reasons why the zealots are outbreeding the moderates,
and I would suspect the same dynamics are at play.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Israel becomes a dictatorship