Rocksolid Light

Welcome to Rocksolid Light

An atom-blaster is a good weapon, but it can point both ways. -- Isaac Asimov

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: "Tougher measures required": Low Traffic Neighbourhood planters repeatedly tipped over by vandals

SubjectAuthor
* "Tougher measures required": Low Traffic Neighbourhood plantersswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: "Tougher measures required": Low Traffic Neighbourhood plantersJNugent
+* Re: "Tougher measures required": Low Traffic Neighbourhood plantersswldx...@gmail.com

1
Subject: "Tougher measures required": Low Traffic Neighbourhood planters repeatedly tipped over by vandals
From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 12:30 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 05:30:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "Tougher measures required": Low Traffic Neighbourhood planters
repeatedly tipped over by vandals
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
A Sheffield councillor has called for "tougher measures" to "stop the wanton vandalism of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods".

The comment comes following a recent spate of vandalism to the LTN planters in the Nether Edge and Crookes area of the city, which has seen planters repeatedly tipped over.

A photo of the latest incident, shared by Green Party councillor Maroof Raouf, showed the planter used to block the junction of Leamington Street and Townend Street knocked over on Saturday morning.

Cllr Raouf said: "It's a shame this is still happening in Crookes. Tougher measures are required to stop the wanton vandalism of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods. The effects of any scheme can only really be seen once it has had time to bed-in."

 The planter was restored by residents, and the incident follows similar vandalism in Nether Edge last week.

A six-month closure as part of Sheffield City Council's Active Travel Neighbourhood scheme began in Nether Edge on May 25, but has been overshadowed by the vandalism. In the week after installation, planters were damaged twice, with one central bollard being dragged away, the Sheffield Star (link is external) reports.

"Moving the bollards will lead to someone getting hurt quite seriously," he told The Star. "I think it's totally inappropriate and vigilante action is not the way to go about doing this."

Responding to Saturday's latest vandalism, he joked (link is external): "I want to wish them well in case they suffer any lower back damage.

"I would heavily advise they don't continue. If people are not happy, they need to use the appropriate avenues to feed back their views to their councillors and the council officers.

"It's important to remind people that this is an ongoing consultation and if the feedback is that people aren't happy then obviously we as councillors and also the officers need to take that into account."

https://road.cc/content/news/ltn-planters-repeatedly-vandalised-293565

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 12:40 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
repeatedly tipped over by vandals
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:40:52 +0100
View all headers

A Sheffield councillor has called for "tougher measures" to "stop the wanton vandalism of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods". The comment comes following a recent spate of vandalism to the LTN planters in the Nether Edge and Crookes area of the city, which has seen planters repeatedly tipped over.
A photo of the latest incident, shared by Green Party councillor Maroof Raouf, showed the planter used to block the junction of Leamington Street and Townend Street knocked over on Saturday morning.
Cllr Raouf said: "It's a shame this is still happening in Crookes. Tougher measures are required to stop the wanton vandalism of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods. The effects of any scheme can only really be seen once it has had time to bed-in."

Not at all.

If someone has to travel three times further for a particular part of the journey than they had to previously, and if that extra distance involves travel via congested junctions, traffic lights, etc, that effect will be seen and felt *immediately*.

Does Cllr Raouf really not know that?

Or is the Green Party simply indifferent to the difficulties caused to others?

[The second question is purely rhetorical. We all know that the answer is "yes".]

[...]

....who will take absolutely no notice of them.

"It's important to remind people that this is an ongoing consultation and if the feedback is that people aren't happy then obviously we as councillors and also the officers need to take that into account."

You needed to take that into account before setting up the schemes.

https://road.cc/content/news/ltn-planters-repeatedly-vandalised-293565

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:00 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 06:00:36 -0700 (PDT)
repeatedly tipped over by vandals
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
Try this solution:

 Low Traffic Neighbourhood 'human bollards' step in following repeated vandalism.

https://road.cc/content/news/ltn-bollards-vandalised-replaced-volunteers-293423

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:07 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
repeatedly tipped over by vandals
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:07:26 +0100
View all headers

Try this solution:

  Low Traffic Neighbourhood 'human bollards' step in following repeated vandalism.

Absolutely.

Do they take it in shifts, 24/7?

https://road.cc/content/news/ltn-bollards-vandalised-replaced-volunteers-293423

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 17:23 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
repeatedly tipped over by vandals
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
 Rich_cb | 2767 posts | 1 hour ago
0 likes

Don't see the problem with this.

Somebody has decided that they don't agree with the presence of these planters so has vandalised them.

It works for SUVs right?

https://www.tyreextinguishers.com/

1
rocksolid light 0.7.2