From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Westerglen
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:49:54 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:49 UTC

You don't see this now!

Falkirk Herald - Saturday 23 September 1950

Image © National World Publishing Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE
BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

ADMISSION FREE
BBC TRANSMITTER, WESTERGLEN
The Transmitter will be open to visitors from 2.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. on
week-days and from 2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m. on Sundays during the course
of the Exhibition.
Admission is by Ticket Only.
Tickets may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office on 22nd and 23rd
September and thereafter from the Town Hall.

Re: Westerglen

<m8be0jpapdjb5d33cnht5i9pa4aadboqrj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10654&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10654

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Westerglen
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:12:39 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:12 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:49:54 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>You don't see this now!
>

>Falkirk Herald - Saturday 23 September 1950
>
>Image © National World Publishing Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE
>BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.
>
>ADMISSION FREE
>BBC TRANSMITTER, WESTERGLEN
>The Transmitter will be open to visitors from 2.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. on
>week-days and from 2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m. on Sundays during the course
>of the Exhibition.
>Admission is by Ticket Only.
>Tickets may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office on 22nd and 23rd
>September and thereafter from the Town Hall.

No, but a long time ago I went on a tour of Blackhill transmitter. I
remember there was a rock with writing in white paint saying 'rock
used for throwing at the BBC'.

I also went to the radio museum in Lahti. On entering the site, there
was the usual warning about no pacemakers allowed. The museum was
located in the old transmitter hall under the main antenna. They had
some fluorescent lamps against the wall that were glowing even though
they were not plugged in. The guide did a demonstration where she held
a steel rod close to one of the reinforcings in the concrete, which
created an electric arc.

Re: Westerglen

<uu7e0r$hnp8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10656&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10656

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 22:06:19 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 22:06 UTC

On 29/03/2024 21:12, Scott wrote:
> I also went to the radio museum in Lahti. On entering the site, there
> was the usual warning about no pacemakers allowed. The museum was
> located in the old transmitter hall under the main antenna. They had
> some fluorescent lamps against the wall that were glowing even though
> they were not plugged in. The guide did a demonstration where she held
> a steel rod close to one of the reinforcings in the concrete, which
> created an electric arc.

The 'party trick' at Criggion was to hold 5ft fluorescent tube in your
hand in the coil chamber and it would light up as each pulse was
transmitted. I believe it was also possible to bring an arc off your
nose to a coin held in the hand.

Re: Westerglen

<oeif0jla45sa53ui5erp9tmanqs6kg9rsq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10657&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10657

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:16:29 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:16 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 22:06:19 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>The 'party trick' at Criggion was to hold 5ft fluorescent tube in your
>hand in the coil chamber and it would light up as each pulse was
>transmitted.

You could do the fluorescent tube trick in any of the control rooms at
Television Centre, just by touching the other end of the tube to the
metal cladding and scuffing your feet on the carpet.

Rod.