Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:27:30 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Drinkwaters?
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:27 UTC

Just watching the credits of All Creatures Great and Small (on 20; about
1980), and I noticed the Film Editor was called Drinkwater. As it's not
a common name, I wondered if she was related to the actress who
initially played "Helen Herriott"! (Though I think that part has changed
by now to the one who played it for most of the run.)

By most scientific estimates sustained, useful fusion is ten years in
the future - and will be ten years in the future for the next fifty
years or more. - "Hamadryad", ~2016-4-4

Re: Drinkwaters?

<xn0ojwk223kzmb2000@reader.xsnews.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10651&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10651

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Subject: Re: Drinkwaters?
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:04:26 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 16:04 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> Just watching the credits of All Creatures Great and Small (on
> 20; about 1980), and I noticed the Film Editor was called
> Drinkwater. As it's not a common name, I wondered if she was
> related to the actress who initially played "Helen Herriott"!
> (Though I think that part has changed by now to the one who
> played it for most of the run.)

I dunno about that, but I always thought Drinkwater was a funny
surname for someone to have. (There was an English footballer
called Danny Drinkwater.) I know historical surnames could
relate to a person's occupation, Miller, Smith (etc.)... but
everyone in the world has to drink water!

Re: Drinkwaters?

<KSddR1Bx3yBmFwqK@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10655&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10655

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:09:05 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:09 UTC

In message <xn0ojwk223kzmb2000@reader.xsnews.nl> at Fri, 29 Mar 2024
17:04:26, Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> writes
>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> Just watching the credits of All Creatures Great and Small (on
>> 20; about 1980), and I noticed the Film Editor was called
>> Drinkwater. As it's not a common name, I wondered if she was
>> related to the actress who initially played "Helen Herriott"!
>> (Though I think that part has changed by now to the one who
>> played it for most of the run.)
>
>I dunno about that, but I always thought Drinkwater was a funny
>surname for someone to have. (There was an English footballer
>called Danny Drinkwater.) I know historical surnames could
>relate to a person's occupation, Miller, Smith (etc.)... but
>everyone in the world has to drink water!

Now you mention it, it is unusual if you try to think if it that way.
But - although the vision mixer and the actress are the only ones I've
heard of - it's not unusual; I've just tried it at FreeBMD.org.uk, and
that implies there have been 12695 Drinkwater births (I think England
and Wales) since 1837Q2.

Now I think about it, it's similar to Beveridge - again, I think that
was a name I used to see in the credits (Angela I think), and of course
there's a kind of aerial configuration of that name.

just because you are offended - doesn't mean you are right