From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Another step closer to World War III
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:37:43 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:37 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66352765

<quotes>

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has warned war is coming back to Russia after a drone attack on the capital Moscow.

Mr Zelensky said attacks on Russian territory were an "inevitable, natural and absolutely fair process" of the war between the two countries.

Drone attacks like these are also an opportunity for him to address the Russian population, the majority of whom appear to believe Moscow's invasion is just and righteous.

</quotes>

I am not convinced Putin will see it that way.

As far as he's concerned only Ukraine is at war while he is simply fulfilling his obligations under UN Right to Protect doctrine. And he does have a point.

And I don't think attacking Russia will convince the majority of Russians that Ukraine are the Good Guys in this conflict. It will simply confirm to many that Ukraine, NATO and the west are seeking to destroy Russia.

They'll see it exactly as we did when Islamists took their revenge here for what we were doing in Muslim lands. As much as they explained it was revenge, we insisted it was irrational and unacceptable terrorism, hated them even more than we already did. So will Russians.

And, while Ukraine no doubt feels justified in attacking Russia and killing her citizens, it does devalue Ukraine's complaints that Russia is killing theirs, that such deaths are war crimes.

And there will inevitably come a time when Putin considers it to be NATO and the west attacking Russia, at war with Russia.

We could be all over by Christmas.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Another step closer to World War III