Rocksolid Light

Welcome to Rocksolid Light

The price of greatness is responsibility.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re:_Government_says_Belfast_bike_lanes_are_“advisory”_–_after_local_cyclists_claim_they_are_“completely_unusable”_due_to_parked_car

SubjectAuthor
* Government_says_Belfast_bike_lanes_are_“advisoryswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: _Government_says_Belfast_bike_lanes_are_“advisoMike Collins

1
Subject: Government_says_Belfast_bike_lanes_are_“advisory”_–_after_local_cyclists_claim_they_are_“completely_unusable”_due_to_parked_car
From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:07 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 03:07:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Government_says_Belfast_bike_lanes_are_“advisory
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
Northern Ireland’s Department for Infrastructure has said that bikes lanes along a busy Belfast road are only “advisory”, after local cyclists claimed that the lanes are “completely unusable” due to the number of cars constantly parked in them.

Despite being in place for years, the cycle lanes on the Newtownards Road in east Belfast – the scene, incidentally, of Dan Martin’s race-ending crash during the opening team time trial stage of the 2014 Giro d’Italia – are rarely used by cyclists, who have described the lanes as a “tick-box exercise” for the Department for Infrastructure.

As we saw last week on the blog, the DfI – a department in the devolved Northern Ireland Executive – has come under fire in recent years for its rather laidback approach to cycling and walking infrastructure and its apparent devotion to the “cult of the car”.

“It can be quite frustrating when you approach the Newtownards Road and all of the cycle lanes are full of cars on both sides of the road,” a cyclist from the area told BelfastLive (link is external).

“It is a constant problem and there has never been a time that I have attempted to use it that I have been able to for more than a few yards.

“It is a very busy stretch of the road and it feels like there is no reason for the cycle lane to be there at all because it is completely unusable due to all of the cars parked in it.”

The local claimed that he often receives complaints from fellow cyclists about the lanes, as well as from other residents and businesses about people riding their bikes on the footpath after being forced off the cycle lane.

He continued: “Active travel is very popular in East Belfast, which has been shown through the success of the Connswater and Comber Greenways, but there is a lot more that could be done to improve connectivity throughout the city.

“It is a shame that people are able to cycle so easily until they reach certain sections of the Newtownards Road where they are then blocked by cars.

“The DfI is absolutely devoid of any ambition whatsoever, totally devoted to the cult of the car.”

A Department for Infrastructure spokesperson responded to the complaints by noting that the cycle lanes on the Newtownards Road are merely “advisory”.

“This is denoted by a broken white line between the cycle lane and the rest of the carriageway,” the spokesperson said.

“As such, vehicles can park on the cycle lane, provided they do so in accordance with any other restriction that may be present.

“The Department encourages drivers to ‘think before you park’ and to be considerate of the needs of other road users.”

Needless to say, some weren’t happy with the Department’s definition of a cycle lane:

The complaints about the sorry attempt at cycling infrastructure on the Newtownards Road come just days after hundreds of cyclists took part in the annual Ride on Belfast on Friday.

On Saturday, Sustrans also organised a family fun day for young bike riders, mere yards down the road from the contentious ‘bike lanes’ – with both events underlining, perhaps, how far the Northern Ireland Executive is lagging behind the times…

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-13-june-2022-293553#live-blog-item-34735

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:19 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 07:19:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Government_says_Belfast_bike_lanes_are_“adviso
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 11:07:54 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]

Why was the car not on a motorway? Motorways are provided by cycle taxes for the exclusive use of motor vehicles so all motor vehicle journeys MUST include a motorway.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:49 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Government_says_Belfast_bike_lanes_are_“advis
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:49:18 +0000
View all headers
On 13/06/2022 14:19, Mike Collins wrote:

Motorways are provided by cycle taxes

State your evidence for the existence of 'cycle taxes'/

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 16:16 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
On Monday, June 13, 2022 at 3:19:53 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-13-june-2022-293553#live-blog-item-34735
Why was the car not on a motorway? Motorways are provided by cycle taxes for the exclusive use of motor vehicles so all motor vehicle journeys MUST include a motorway.

Maybe they are a learner?

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 18:11 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 16:49:21 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 13/06/2022 14:19, Mike Collins wrote:

Motorways are provided by cycle taxes
State your evidence for the existence of 'cycle taxes'/

--
Spike

We still have to pay income tax even though the war against Napoleon is over.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 08:01 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 08:01:26 +0000
View all headers
On 13/06/2022 18:11, Mike Collins wrote:
On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 16:49:21 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 13/06/2022 14:19, Mike Collins wrote:

Motorways are provided by cycle taxes

State your evidence for the existence of 'cycle taxes'.

We still have to pay income tax even though the war against Napoleon is over.

Thanks for replying to a statement that wasn't made, which you still
have an opportunity to address.

--
Spike

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 08:45 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 01:45:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 09:01:29 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 13/06/2022 18:11, Mike Collins wrote:
On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 16:49:21 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 13/06/2022 14:19, Mike Collins wrote:

Motorways are provided by cycle taxes
State your evidence for the existence of 'cycle taxes'.
We still have to pay income tax even though the war against Napoleon is over.
Thanks for replying to a statement that wasn't made, which you still
have an opportunity to address.

--
Spike

The answer is obvious even for those with sub-turnip IQ.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 08:56 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:20 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 03:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
QUOTE: Northern Ireland’s Department for Infrastructure has said that bikes lanes along a busy Belfast road are only “advisory”, after local cyclists claimed that the lanes are “completely unusable” due to the number of cars constantly parked in them. ENDS

SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:02 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 04:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
View all headers
On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 09:56:33 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 14/06/2022 08:45, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 09:01:29 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 13/06/2022 18:11, Mike Collins wrote:
On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 16:49:21 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
On 13/06/2022 14:19, Mike Collins wrote:

Motorways are provided by cycle taxes
State your evidence for the existence of 'cycle taxes'.

We still have to pay income tax even though the war against Napoleon is over.

Thanks for replying to a statement that wasn't made, which you still
have an opportunity to address.
The answer is obvious even for those with sub-turnip IQ.

Thanks for replying to a statement that wasn't made, which you still
have an opportunity to address.

--
Spike

Thank you for proving my point.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:03 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:03:18 +0000
View all headers
On 14/06/2022 10:20, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE: Northern Ireland’s Department for Infrastructure has said that bikes lanes along a busy Belfast road are only “advisory”, after local cyclists claimed that the lanes are “completely unusable” due to the number of cars constantly parked in them. ENDS

SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

CYCLISTS RLJ:
SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

CYCLISTS RIDING ON FOOTPATHS:
SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

CYCLISTS IGNORING CROSSINGS:
SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

CYCLISTS NOT KEEPING WELL TO THE LEFT:
SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

CYCLISTS IGNORING THE HIGHWAY CODE:
SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

CYCLISTS BREAKING ANY LAW:

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:07 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling

From: Mike Collins
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:53 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:53:03 -0700 (PDT)

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:05 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Government_says_Belfast_fairy-bike_lanes_are_
“advisory” – after local fairy-cyclists cl
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:05:23 +0100
View all headers
On 14/06/2022 11:20 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: Northern Ireland’s Department for Infrastructure has said that fairy-bikes lanes along a busy Belfast road are only “advisory”, after local fairy-cyclists claimed that the lanes are “completely unusable” due to the number of cars constantly parked in them. ENDS

SIMPLE SOLUTION - JUST FINE THEM ALL.
JOB DONE.

Fining people for having committed no offence?

How does that work?

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:09 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:09:38 +0000
View all headers
On 14/06/2022 13:53, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Only in your fantasy world.

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:10 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:10:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
QUOTE: Is it really a cycle lane if it's unusable for cycling? No. It's a thinly veiled car park. Doubtless this ticked some box somewhere in the Department for Cars.... Er, Infrastructure ENDS

FINE THE LAWBREAKERS THEN!

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:15 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:15:47 +0000
View all headers
On 14/06/2022 16:10, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: Is it really a cycle lane if it's unusable for cycling? No. It's a thinly veiled car park. Doubtless this ticked some box somewhere in the Department for Cars.... Er, Infrastructure ENDS

FINE THE LAWBREAKERS THEN!

FINE THE CYCLIST LAWBREAKERS!!

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:18 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:18:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
QUOTE: It is a shame that people are able to cycle so easily until they reach certain sections of the Newtownards Road where they are then blocked by cars. ENDS

TACKLE THE SOURCE OF THE BLOCKAGE THEN.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:24 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:24:07 +0000
View all headers
On 14/06/2022 16:18, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: It is a shame that people are able to cycle so easily until they reach certain sections of the Newtownards Road where they are then blocked by cars. ENDS

TACKLE THE SOURCE OF THE BLOCKAGE THEN.

OR GO ROUND THE ALLEGED 'OBSTRUCTION'

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:25 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:25:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers

    Part of the north Belfast posse out on #ROB8 (link is external). @NBCycleCampaign (link is external) joins lots of cyclists around Belfast demanding better infrastructure and more protection on the roads. @deptinfra (link is external) are moving slower than the Westlink at rush hour! pic.twitter..com/1EWNg5ihQM (link is external)

    — Dominic Bryan (@Domsball) June 10, 2022 (link is external)
https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-13-june-2022-293553#live-blog-item-34735

1
rocksolid light 0.7.2