From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Handing the crown jewels to the spammers
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 17:26:29 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 16:26 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66441010

<quotes>

The UK's elections watchdog has revealed it has been the victim of a "complex cyber-attack" potentially affecting millions of voters.

The watchdog said the information it held at the time of the attack included the names and addresses of people in the UK who registered to vote between 2014 and 2022.

</quotes>

Given everyone has to register every year it effectively means everyone is affected; spammers now have all our names and addresses, hence 40 million affected.

Having registered under a legal alias and not being on the public register it was easy to see who was abusing the electoral roll to send me unsolicited mailshots.

Now anyone and everyone can.

Thanks.

Re: Handing the crown jewels to the spammers

<20230808234106.00003cbe@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10837&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10837

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Handing the crown jewels to the spammers
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 23:41:06 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 22:41 UTC

On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 17:26:29 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> The UK's elections watchdog has revealed it has been the victim of a
> "complex cyber-attack" potentially affecting millions of voters.

Seems PSNI has gone one better and become a victim of its own stupidity -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66445452

<quotes>

The Police Service of Northern Ireland has apologised for mistakenly revealing details of all its 10,000 staff.

NI's Police Federation said the breach could cause "incalculable damage".

</quotes>

Oh well, it's no good crying over spilled milk.

At least the released data didn't include home addresses and the last terrorist attack on a PSNI officer was way back in February.

Re: Handing the crown jewels to the spammers

<20230814151740.0000405b@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10869&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10869

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 15:17:40 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 14:17 UTC

On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 23:41:06 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 17:26:29 +0100
> The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:
>
> > The UK's elections watchdog has revealed it has been the victim of a
> > "complex cyber-attack" potentially affecting millions of voters.
>
> Seems PSNI has gone one better and become a victim of its own
> stupidity -
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66445452
>
> <quotes>
>
> The Police Service of Northern Ireland has apologised for mistakenly
> revealing details of all its 10,000 staff.

Seems Cumbria police have also come clean -

https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/14/cumbrian_police_accidentally_published_officer_details_online/

<quote>

Cumbria Constabulary inadvertently published the names and salaries of all its officers and staff online earlier this year, making it the second UK force in a fortnight to admit disclosing personal information about its employees.

</quote>

Oh well, nothing to hide, nothing to fear, and it's government intention that no one should be able to hide anything from prying eyes.

Once we are out of the ECHR, have Got Brexit Done, there won't be any right to have personal information protected anyway.

It's the primary plank of our post-brexit, "open for business" strategy, removing obligations and regulations on businesses which cuts into their profits. Which will make us more attractive than other countries who don't put profit so far ahead of people, the environment, or anything really.

And it's what people voted for.

Re: Handing the crown jewels to the spammers

<20230815161853.00001f09@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10875&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10875

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 16:18:53 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:18 UTC

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 15:17:40 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 23:41:06 +0100
> The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 17:26:29 +0100
> > The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > The UK's elections watchdog has revealed it has been the victim
> > > of a "complex cyber-attack" potentially affecting millions of
> > > voters.
> >
> > Seems PSNI has gone one better and become a victim of its own
> > stupidity -
> >
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66445452
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > The Police Service of Northern Ireland has apologised for mistakenly
> > revealing details of all its 10,000 staff.
>
> Seems Cumbria police have also come clean -
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/14/cumbrian_police_accidentally_published_officer_details_online/
>
> <quote>
>
> Cumbria Constabulary inadvertently published the names and salaries
> of all its officers and staff online earlier this year, making it the
> second UK force in a fortnight to admit disclosing personal
> information about its employees.
>
> </quote>

Norfolk and Suffolk climb aboard -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66510136

<quotes>

A total of 1,230 people, including victims of crime and witnesses, have had their data breached by Norfolk and Suffolk police forces.

The constabularies said the personal information was included in Freedom of Information responses due to a "technical issue".

</quotes>

The "technical issue" being that they are both fucking incompetent.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Handing the crown jewels to the spammers