From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Simply the best. Better than all the rest
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:41:17 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:41 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66461563

<quotes>

Downing Street has had to correct a tweet, after it suggested the UK is still a member of the European Union.

The official No 10 account used a graphic saying the UK "is home to twice as many AI companies as any other EU country".

</quotes>

Embarrassing. But so is imagining it is quantity rather than quality which counts.

That they had to narrow it down to EU countries shows how far behind others we are and, even then, it is a dubious claim; it all depends what one considers an "AI company" to be.

It also ignores the huge disparity between ourselves and others. In most technical fields we are at bast a distant third to China and America. And, where we do have world-class companies they are under foreign ownership.

Re: Simply the best. Better than all the rest

<CCSBM.357201$Q2B2.208514@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10864&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10864

From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Re: Simply the best. Better than all the rest
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:14:10 GMT
 by: TWP - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:14 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:41:17 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66461563
>
> <quotes>
>
> Downing Street has had to correct a tweet, after it suggested the UK is
> still a member of the European Union.
>
> The official No 10 account used a graphic saying the UK "is home to
> twice as many AI companies as any other EU country".
>
> </quotes>
>
> Embarrassing. But so is imagining it is quantity rather than quality
> which counts.
>
> That they had to narrow it down to EU countries shows how far behind
> others we are and, even then, it is a dubious claim; it all depends what
> one considers an "AI company" to be.
>
> It also ignores the huge disparity between ourselves and others. In most
> technical fields we are at bast a distant third to China and America.
> And, where we do have world-class companies they are under foreign
> ownership.

Has anyone really even invented AI?

ORAC on Blake's 7 - that's what I think of as AI. What's around now seems
more like a chess computer. It's certainly clever, but I don't know if
it's intelligent.

Re: Simply the best. Better than all the rest

<20230814003645.00003e3a@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10868&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10868

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 00:36:45 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 23:36 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:14:10 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:41:17 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:
>
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66461563
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > Downing Street has had to correct a tweet, after it suggested the
> > UK is still a member of the European Union.
> >
> > The official No 10 account used a graphic saying the UK "is home to
> > twice as many AI companies as any other EU country".
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > Embarrassing. But so is imagining it is quantity rather than quality
> > which counts.
> >
> > That they had to narrow it down to EU countries shows how far behind
> > others we are and, even then, it is a dubious claim; it all depends
> > what one considers an "AI company" to be.
> >
> > It also ignores the huge disparity between ourselves and others. In
> > most technical fields we are at bast a distant third to China and
> > America. And, where we do have world-class companies they are under
> > foreign ownership.
>

> Has anyone really even invented AI?
>
> ORAC on Blake's 7 - that's what I think of as AI. What's around now
> seems more like a chess computer. It's certainly clever, but I don't
> know if it's intelligent.

Almost everything gets called "AI" these days, even when it's simply making a choice based on inputs and using hard-wired rules to make that choice.

Some so-called "AI" is a bit smarter because it has been trained and creates those rules itself and humans may not even understand what and why those rules are, but it's still really just pattern matching and a game of statistics at the end of the day.

ChatGPT is interesting. Its primary directive seems to be to give a plausible answer in a human-like way. That it has put plausibility top is why it makes shit up and outright lies.

I think the hype is already fading away as people get over the initial "wow!" and start to look at exactly how capable so-called "AI" is.

I'm with you; more Savant than Intelligent.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Simply the best. Better than all the rest