From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: The Crooked House
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 19:41:26 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 18:41 UTC

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/investigation-crooked-house-wonky-pub-8662702

<quote>

The Crooked House pub has been flattened by bulldozers 'without permission' just days after a devastating fire ripped through the iconic building.

Enforcement action could now be taken against those who bulldozed 'Britain's wonkiest pub' to the ground.

South Staffordshire Council said that following the fire, which ripped through the much-loved boozer on Saturday night just days after it was sold to a private buyer, its officers visited the site to assess the damage and speak to the landowner's representative.

It was agreed that three elements of the first-floor front elevation would be removed to avoid the weak parts of the structure from falling. But at 'no point' did the council agree to the demolition of the whole structure, which went ahead on Monday afternoon.

"The steps required [for demolition] by the legislation were not carried out in this case. We have referred these matters to our legal team with a view to taking enforcement action."

</quote>

The property was sold into private ownership two weeks ago.
On Saturday it was on fire.
Firefighters arrived to find mounds of earth blocking access.
On Sunday just the exterior was still standing.
Om Monday morning the Council agreed a programme of works.
On Monday afternoon it was completely demolished.

It's easy to speculate it was bought by a developer who needed a pretext to get rid of the pub, so they could build expensive properties on the site and make a tidy profit from their purchase.

And there's little the council or anyone can do about it. The fire will have been started by 'unknown vandals', demolition 'a misunderstanding', and, once there's land which can be developed, the council are usually obliged to grant approval for development.

It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. But that would just be speculation.

Re: The Crooked House

<20230816010033.00004e82@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10880&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#10880

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: The Crooked House
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 01:00:33 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 00:00 UTC

On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 19:41:26 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> The property was sold into private ownership two weeks ago.
> On Saturday it was on fire.
> Firefighters arrived to find mounds of earth blocking access.
> On Sunday just the exterior was still standing.
> Om Monday morning the Council agreed a programme of works.
> On Monday afternoon it was completely demolished.
>
> It's easy to speculate it was bought by a developer who needed a
> pretext to get rid of the pub, so they could build expensive
> properties on the site and make a tidy profit from their purchase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66514759

<quotes>

The owners of a Black Country pub which was gutted by fire and then demolished two days later experienced another huge fire on land they owned.

Adam Taylor is director of AT Contracting and Plant Hire Ltd, which, according to Land Registry documents, owns [that] site.

His wife, Carly, controls the company ATE Farms Limited, which bought the "wonky" Black Country landmark in July.

Mrs Taylor also currently controls AT Contracting and Plant Hire Ltd, which the BBC understands rented a digger a week before flames engulfed The Crooked House on 5 August.

</quotes>

Has all the makings of a Craig David song ...

Bought a pub on Tuesday
Hired a digger on Wednesday
Got some petrol on Thursday
Found my matches on Friday
Set a fire on Saturday
It had burned down by Sunday
Got it flattened on Monday

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: The Crooked House