Rocksolid Light

Welcome to Rocksolid Light

Fast, cheap, good: pick two.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_safely_after_pedantic_council_BANNED_cars_from_the_gates_–_it’s_ridiculous

SubjectAuthor
* We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_safelyswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: _We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_schoolJNugent
+* Re: _We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_sSpike
+* Re: _We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_saswldx...@gmail.com

1
Subject: We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_safely_after_pedantic_council_BANNED_cars_from_the_gates_–_it’s_ridiculous
From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 20:26 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 13:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_safely
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
WALK OR CYCLE THEN YOU LAZY GITS.

PARENTS have been left livid after a pedantic council banned cars from dropping kids at their school's front gates.

Solihull Council, near Birmingham, brought in the "ridiculous" restrictions around eight schools.

Windy Arbor Primary School in Chelmsley Wood is one of the schools to have the draconian rules brought down on itCredit: Roland Leon

Signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm

They claim measures were rolled out in order to tackle what they claim was "nightmarish" congestion sparked by parents in their cars.

Windy Arbor Primary School in Chelmsley Wood is one of the schools to have the draconian rules brought down on it.

There, signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm.

It means parents can't even get within 100 metres of the school gates - leaving them livid.

Mum Kay Poiser, 38, a support worker, slammed the "petty" Conservative-run council for the initiative which she says has simply pushed congestion "down the road".

She said: "It’s ridiculous. They are trying to force all the cars to park in a smaller space than ever before. There is no way I am parking down there.

"It’s just petty. This is a school. Parents drop off their kids and then they go so what is the problem?"

Carer Leanne Richards, 34, who has five children at the school, agreed: "Most of my friends drive and life is a struggle at the best of times without the Council making a big deal out of nothing."

Leanne took aim at residents who had registered complaints about congestion but said "this is what happens" when you live next to a school.

Residents who live in flats and houses near Windy Arbor Primary had complained about selfish parents who blocked their garages or let their cars idle during drop-offs.

Peter Cook, 78, said: "The residents have had enough because some of the parents just don’t care.

"Last year I had to take my wife to hospital and could not get out of my drive because a parent had blocked me in."
John Yeats wants the problem sorted and complained when the congestion got unbearable

The council claim the measures were brought in to tackle "nightmarish" congestion in the area

But he said the new measures have made "no real difference" parents are flagrantly breaking the rules because "no one comes to check".

Hayley Louise, 33, a retail worker and another resident who had complained about the parking outside her home, said "no-one is adhering to it".

She claimed: "People live three streets away and still drive."

John Yeats, 81, who lives near the new signs said the issue has simply been pushed to outside his front door - and he's getting "30 minutes of mayhem now every morning and every evening".

His neighbour Susan Bradford, 74, added: "It is just horrendous. People park on the pavements and parents with pushchairs can’t get by. "

Meanwhile grandmother Romilly Slater, 54, who drops her grandkids off each morning is exempted as a blue badge holder, but she reckons a different approach was required.

She explained: "A better way would be to set up a reward system and get parents into car pools to cut down on traffic.’"

Regardless of the changes, some parents have vowed to ignore the rules.
'DISGUSTING'

Taylor George said: "I only noticed this yesterday and I think it’s disgusting. This is a school and they should provide some parking for parents."

Midwife Sarah Fox, 37, was also unimpressed, adding: "We need to get our kids to school and then we’re gone. I don’t see the problem.’

Other parents were more relaxed about the change.

Financial advisor Simon Compton, 46, who was dropping off his son on his way to work, said: "It maybe adds an extra minute so it really makes no difference to me."

And Michelle Green, 35, a lunchtime supervisor, said: "Some parents take no notice but I think it is good to improve the air quality outside the school. "

Councillor Ken Hawkins, cabinet member for environment and highways, said: “These measures will make it safer and more pleasant for everyone around the sites."

The Sun Online has approached both Solihull Council and Windy Arbor Primary School for comment.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18920687/school-parking-rules-car-ban-birmingham-solihull-council/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunmotorsfacebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1655476685

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:49 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 01:49:31 +0100
[...]

How on EARTH would it do that?

Councillor Ken Hawkins, cabinet member for environment and highways, said: “These measures will make it safer and more pleasant for everyone around the sites."

It'll certainly make it easier for the teachers to get their cars out of the school's car-park(s).

And that's going to be the main objective.

The Sun Online has approached both Solihull Council and Windy Arbor Primary School for comment.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18920687/school-parking-rules-car-ban-birmingham-solihull-council/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunmotorsfacebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1655476685

Which of the people mentioned in the story is the fairy-cyclist?

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:20 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_s
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:20:52 +0000
View all headers
On 19/06/2022 20:26, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

PARENTS have been left livid after a pedantic council banned cars from dropping kids at their school's front gates.

Windy Arbor Primary School in Chelmsley Wood is one of the schools to have the draconian rules brought down on it

Councillor Ken Hawkins, cabinet member for environment and highways, [and desperate no doubt to avoid seeing any wider picture] said: “These measures will make it safer and more pleasant for everyone around the sites."

But not for where the problem shifts to...

The Sun Online has approached both Solihull Council and Windy Arbor Primary School for comment.

Silence...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18920687/school-parking-rules-car-ban-birmingham-solihull-council/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunmotorsfacebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1655476685

One wonders what the real reason(s) were...

--
Spike

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:02 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:02:49 +0000
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 08:49, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 9:26:51 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

WALK OR CYCLE THEN YOU LAZY GITS.

IF THEY CYCLED THEY COULD JUMP RED LIGHTS AND GET THERE QUICKER

There, signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm.

Here is one of the signs:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/NINTCHDBPICT000740777279.jpg?w=1240

Seems clear enough.

So are red lights, but cyclists routinely ignore them. And ride on
pavements.And speed past schools. So the danger might increase due to
the increased number of cyclists...

--
Spike

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:24 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:24:46 +0100
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 09:20 am, Spike wrote:

On 19/06/2022 20:26, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

PARENTS have been left livid after a pedantic council banned cars from dropping kids at their school's front gates.

Does a council have that power?

Whence is it derived?

Windy Arbor Primary School in Chelmsley Wood is one of the schools to have the draconian rules brought down on it
Councillor Ken Hawkins, cabinet member for environment and highways, [and desperate no doubt to avoid seeing any wider picture] said: “These measures will make it safer and more pleasant for everyone around the sites."

....except for pupils and parents.

But not for where the problem shifts to...

The Sun Online has approached both Solihull Council and Windy Arbor Primary School for comment.

Silence...

No surprise there.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18920687/school-parking-rules-car-ban-birmingham-solihull-council/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunmotorsfacebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1655476685

One wonders what the real reason(s) were...

The staff were fed up not being able to drive straight out at 15:30?

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:26 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:26:31 +0100
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 09:49 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 9:26:51 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
WALK OR CYCLE THEN YOU LAZY GITS.

There, signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm.

Here is one of the signs:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/NINTCHDBPICT000740777279.jpg?w=1240

Seems clear enough.

The answer is clear.

Drop the children off at 09:15.

Come back to pick them up at 14:40.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:40 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:40:57 +0000
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 10:26, JNugent wrote:
On 20/06/2022 09:49 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 9:26:51 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

WALK OR CYCLE THEN YOU LAZY GITS.

There, signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm.

Here is one of the signs:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/NINTCHDBPICT000740777279.jpg?w=1240

Seems clear enough.

The answer is clear.

Drop the children off at 09:15.

Come back to pick them up at 14:40.

And if the school operates a breakfast club, and/or an after-school
club, that solution is obvious...

--
Spike

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:01 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 14:01:35 +0100
View all headers

QUOTE: Signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm. ENDS

So approaching the area at 08:25 and 14:40 is perfectly acceptable.

Glad that's settled.

The signs also state that these are pedestrian and cycle zones,

They don't.

Only a thicko could "think" that.

And you thought it.

so there is nothing to stop parents forming a cycling group to take their children to school.

There's nothing to stop them going at 08:25 or 14:40.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:41 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:41:47 +0000
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 16:35, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE: And Michelle Green, 35, a lunchtime supervisor, said: "Some parents take no notice but I think it is good to improve the air quality outside the school. " ENDS

Indeed - we don't want another Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah choking to death in polluted air, do we?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56801794

Check out the numbers of people who choked to death in the polluted air
of the London smog of 1952.

--
Spike

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:42 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:42:12 +0000
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 12:45, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: Signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm. ENDS

The signs also state that these are pedestrian and cycle zones, so there is nothing to stop parents forming a cycling group to take their children to school.

Have you ever read the Highway Code?

You don't seem particularly familiar with it.

--
Spike

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:55 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 17:55:20 +0100
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 05:42 pm, Spike wrote:

On 20/06/2022 12:45, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: Signs state clearly that cars cannot park between the drop off and pick up times of 8.30am and 9.10am & 2.45 and 3.45pm. ENDS

It absolutely does not say that or anything similar.

The signs also state that these are pedestrian and cycle zones,

No, they don't.

so there is nothing to stop parents forming a cycling group to take their children to school.

Have you ever read the Highway Code?

You don't seem particularly familiar with it.

Quite so.

Oi!

Thicko Mason!

The street in question is by no means a fairy-cycle zone (WTMB).

Fairy-cyclists are not allowed to use the footway for a start.

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 17:32 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 17:32:01 +0000
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 16:59, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE: Peter Cook, 78, said: "The residents have had enough because some of the parents just don’t care.

"Last year I had to take my wife to hospital and could not get out of my drive because a parent had blocked me in." ENDS

Selfish gits don't care about your sick wife, only themselves and their own little world.

Some selfish gits in their own little world don't agree with the removal
of corpses, do they?

--
Spike

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:35 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:35:52 +0000
View all headers
On 20/06/2022 17:35, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: Residents who live in flats and houses near Windy Arbor Primary had complained about selfish parents who blocked their garages or let their cars idle during drop-offs. ENDS

What psychopath lets their dirty vehicle spew out toxic gases outside a school?
BASTARDS.

Presumably the psychopaths that you refer to are motivated in the same
way as those people  who drive from, say, Hull to London instead of
cycling or taking the train.

Note that those vehicles exempt from the ULEZ charges still spew out
toxins, so presumably they are psychopaths too.

And EVs merely shift the point where the pollution occurs, so they are
just as guilty.

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:16 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 03:16:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_We_can’t_drop_or_pick_up_our_kids_at_school_sa
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
QUOTE: Carer Leanne Richards, 34, who has five children at the school, agreed: "Most of my friends drive and life is a struggle at the best of times without the Council making a big deal out of nothing." ENDS

How can it be a "struggle" and yet also "nothing"?

Make your mind up!

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:42 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:42:20 +0000
View all headers
On 21/06/2022 10:16, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE: Carer Leanne Richards, 34, who has five children at the school, agreed: "Most of my friends drive and life is a struggle at the best of times without the Council making a big deal out of nothing." ENDS

How can it be a "struggle" and yet also "nothing"?

Make your mind up!

It can it be a "struggle" and yet also "nothing", because they can be
likened to apples and oranges - that is, they are different things.

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:51 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 03:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers

QUOTE:
"It’s just petty. This is a school. Parents drop off their kids and then they go so what is the problem?" ENDS

Ask the poor sods who live and breathe the air down there what the "problem" is, you selfish moron.

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:34 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:34:25 +0100
View all headers
On 21/06/2022 11:16 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: Carer Leanne Richards, 34, who has five children at the school, agreed: "Most of my friends drive and life is a struggle at the best of times without the Council making a big deal out of nothing." ENDS

How can it be a "struggle" and yet also "nothing"?

Make your mind up!

It's easy (for those who can read and comprehend English, which is obviously where *your* problem lies).

*Life* is a struggle (that's what it says).

*Nothing* is what the council are making a big deal of.

See?

Easy when you're familiar with the language.

Keep at it.

You'll get it one day and be able to drop your native tongue.

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:41 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 05:41:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
QUOTE: She said: "It’s ridiculous. They are trying to force all the cars to park in a smaller space than ever before. There is no way I am parking down there. ENDS

Well done! Why not encourage the other idiots to follow your good example?

From: JNugent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:41 UTC
From: jennings&co@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:41:38 +0100
View all headers
On 21/06/2022 11:51 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE:
"It’s just petty. This is a school. Parents drop off their kids and then they go so what is the problem?" ENDS

Ask the poor sods who live and breathe the air down there what the "problem" is, you selfish moron.

So-called "low emission" electric vehicles are lauded by hypocrites.

Their emissions are no less than those of any other car of a comparable size and payload, but instead of being emitted where the travel takes place, they pollute the environment where the power stations are, often many tens, if not hundreds of miles away from where the hypocrite vehicles are used.

What have the residents of the relevant semi-rural and rural areas done to deserve that?

[That's rhetorical. Everyone knows that you haven't got an answer to it.]

Let London generate all its own electricity. And let it keep all the emissions it causes.

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:42 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 05:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 18:06 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 18:06:21 +0000
View all headers
On 21/06/2022 12:41, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE: She said: "It’s ridiculous. They are trying to force all the cars to park in a smaller space than ever before. There is no way I am parking down there. ENDS

Well done! Why not encourage the other idiots to follow your good example?

Well done! Calling people you agree with an 'idiot' is unlikely to win
you friends or influence people.

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 18:15 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 11:15:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers
QUOTE: The council claim the measures were brought in to tackle "nightmarish" congestion in the area

But he said the new measures have made "no real difference" parents are flagrantly breaking the rules. ENDS

Drivers "flagrantly breaking the rules"?

Surely not?

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:32 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling

From: Spike
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:48 UTC
From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:48:00 +0000
View all headers
On 21/06/2022 18:15, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE: The council claim the measures were brought in to tackle "nightmarish" congestion in the area

But he said the new measures have made "no real difference" parents are flagrantly breaking the rules. ENDS

Drivers "flagrantly breaking the rules"?

Surely not?

Of course not. Your quote said 'parents', not 'drivers'. HTH.

--
Spike

From: swldx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:23 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 03:23:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
View all headers

QUOTE:
Leanne took aim at residents who had registered complaints about congestion but said "this is what happens" when you live next to a school. ENDS

What a sheer cheek - blaming the residents for having the gall to buy a house near to a school.
Maybe when they moved in there wasn't a problem with filthy air and blocked pavements.

1
rocksolid light 0.7.2
clearneti2ptor