From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Running the country on knee-jerk decisions
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:47:56 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:47 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66660136

<quotes>

Criminals are to be made to attend their sentencing hearings in court, including by force if necessary, or face the prospect of longer in prison.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak confirmed plans to introduce a new law after calls from victims and families.

It follows the case of Lucy Letby, who refused to attend her sentencing for the murder of seven babies and attempted murder of six more.

</quotes>

More badly thought-out knee-jerk legislation in an appeal to populism which Starmer and Labour are shamefully but inevitably supporting having jumped aboard the populism bus, pushed for it, themselves.

Having the convicted attend sentencing won't serve any useful purpose. Its sole purpose is to pile extrajudicial punishment on the convicted.

Something which will backfire badly when the convicted sits there with a smug grin on their face and shows nothing but contempt for those who have been wronged.

That can easily cause more harm to those wronged than allowing the convicted to not appear. It's one of the reasons being forced to attend has never previously been made a legal and punishable obligation.

There are also human rights issues and the huge cost involved. I am not even convinced the proposed legislation will be legal to enact.

But, Yay! Populism. Give the people what they demand and worry about the adverse consequences later. It's our brexit legacy.

Re: Running the country on knee-jerk decisions

<20230831102105.000040d7@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11018&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#11018

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Running the country on knee-jerk decisions
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:21:05 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:21 UTC

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:47:56 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> pointed to:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66660136
: > It follows the case of Lucy Letby, who refused to attend her
> sentencing for the murder of seven babies and attempted murder of six
> more.

It is worth noting that, had this law existed, it would have had little effect on Letby, would not have compelled her to attend court.

The threat of extending prison time for not attending is not exactly persuasive to anyone who's anticipating a life or whole-life sentence.

Re: Running the country on knee-jerk decisions

<20230831115058.00001fdf@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11019&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#11019

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:50:58 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:50 UTC

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:47:56 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> pointed to:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66660136
: > Criminals are to be made to attend their sentencing hearings in
> court, including by force if necessary, or face the prospect of
> longer in prison.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66667942

<quotes>

Plans to give judges more powers to force criminals to attend sentencing could act as a deterrent, families of victims of serious offenders have said.

"Nobody wants to stand in that box, facing a judge telling them they are a despicable character," said Farah Naz, the aunt of murdered Zara Aleena.

But critics said it was "sheer madness" that would make no difference.

</quotes>

It is utterly delusional to think forcing the convicted to attend sentencing will act as a deterrent.

If being convicted, fined, imprisoned, even executed, isn't a deterrent, then forcing them to appear won't be.

It's just desperately trying to claim a bad idea is somehow a good idea.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Running the country on knee-jerk decisions