From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Government U-turn ?
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:56:53 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:56 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66716502

<quotes>

The government has denied it is changing plans to force messaging apps to access users' private messages if requested by the regulator Ofcom.

A new statement concedes that the tech to access messaging without breaking security protocols does not exist.

Indeed, earlier versions of the Bill do state that the regulator Ofcom would only ask tech firms to access messages once "feasible technology" had been developed which would specifically only target child abuse content and not break encryption.

It has tasked tech firms with inventing these tools.

</quotes>

I don't think anything has changed. It's still the same as it ever was, that the government believes tech companies can do the impossible and expects them to apply the impossible once it exists.

It's the expectation that tech companies will start searching user's messages when told to by the government which has led many to threaten to withdraw their services from Brexit Britain.

But, as bad as what the government is demanding is, it's all moot because it can't be done, won't ever be possible.

It's amazing how much disruption and uncertainty the government has caused in its desire to pretend they are doing something about things they can't ever control.

Never trust a tory. Except to fuck things up.