From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Price gouging vets
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 10:33:15 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:33 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66733077

<quotes>

A review of veterinary services in the UK has been launched over concerns that pet owners could be paying too much.

The Competition and Markets Authority said vet fees were rising faster than other goods and services during the cost-of-living crisis.

Sue Davies, the head of consumer protection policy at Which?, said: "Consumers have no choice but to turn to vets when their beloved pet is sick or injured - often footing eye-watering bills in the process."

</quotes>

I don't know about "no choice". There's always a shovel, which costs a small fraction of what vets charge, and someone can always be found to wield it if the owner can't. Some won't even charge for the service.

It's no surprise to see the British Veterinary Association claiming, like supermarkets, that they aren't price gouging when everyone can see that they are.