From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Proud Boy terrorist gets 22 years
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:24:50 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:24 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-66717948

<quotes>

Enrique Tarrio, the former leader of the right-wing Proud Boys, has been sentenced to 22 years prison for his role in the Capitol riot.

The judge remarked, "Seditious conspiracy is a serious offense… Mr Tarrio was the ultimate leader of that conspiracy."

</quotes>

I would have said, as Proud Boys themselves have said, that Trump was the ultimate leader of that conspiracy.

Kelly was a Trump nominee but he didn't hold back. That he has had no truck with trying to overthrow democracy doesn't bode well for Trump himself when he finally gets his day in court.

Re: Proud Boy terrorist gets 22 years

<TIeKM.302696$L_f2.222503@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11093&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#11093

From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Re: Proud Boy terrorist gets 22 years
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 07:11:47 GMT
 by: TWP - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 07:11 UTC

On Tue, 05 Sep 2023 23:24:50 +0100, The Happy Hippy wrote:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-66717948
>
> <quotes>
>
> Enrique Tarrio, the former leader of the right-wing Proud Boys, has been
> sentenced to 22 years prison for his role in the Capitol riot.
>
> The judge remarked, "Seditious conspiracy is a serious offense… Mr
> Tarrio was the ultimate leader of that conspiracy."
>
> </quotes>
>
> I would have said, as Proud Boys themselves have said, that Trump was
> the ultimate leader of that conspiracy.
>
> Kelly was a Trump nominee but he didn't hold back. That he has had no
> truck with trying to overthrow democracy doesn't bode well for Trump
> himself when he finally gets his day in court.

I think was excessive like many sentences in the US tend to be.

We did something similar here after the 2011 "Summer riot" where someone
was given a custodial sentences for taking one bottle of water and that
wasn't the only time sentences like that were handed down.

It's the fate people in most times up to now expected if they opposed the
state. I'm not sure what makes this age's people think they're exempt.
It's an improvement on ending up with your head on a pike but the message
is the same. As Prigozhin discovered, if you take on an established
leadership you really have to be prepared and able to hold them down until
the bubbles stop coming or they'll get back up and destroy you. The
rioters never had a chance of getting anywhere except prison. There was
no military force ready to back them up. I think they should have been
sentenced as rioters not revolutionaries.

Trump wouldn't have become President even if the protesters had
succeeded. The best he could have hoped for is a re-run of elections in
disputed areas that by definition already would have had marginal if any
Trump support. Good luck with that one after the Capitol riot show.

Re: Proud Boy terrorist gets 22 years

<20230907103851.000038c2@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11096&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#11096

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 10:38:51 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:38 UTC

On Thu, 07 Sep 2023 07:11:47 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think was excessive like many sentences in the US tend to be.

There aren't many crimes worse than trying to destroy democracy, and take away people's freedoms and rights.

We have fought wars, and World Wars, to prevent people doing it.

In the Good Old Days it was a hanging offence at the very least.

Re: Proud Boy terrorist gets 22 years

<20230908202211.00001575@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11202&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#11202

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 20:22:11 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 19:22 UTC

On Thu, 07 Sep 2023 07:11:47 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think was excessive like many sentences in the US tend to be.

You think that's excessive ... ?

A Turkish cryptocurrency boss and his two siblings have been jailed for 11,196 years each for defrauding investors of millions of dollars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66752785