From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Modi scores G20 win
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 13:24:57 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 12:24 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-66724117

<quotes>

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that the G20 has reached a consensus on the joint declaration.

There were doubts if a joint declaration would be possible due to the differences within the group over the war in Ukraine.

</quotes>

I guess it is a success for Modi in getting the declaration watered down so it pretty much says nothing about Ukraine or Russia beyond typical tree-hugger Kumbayah stuff; "war is bad, m'kay".

I guess it was 'we can endlessly and pointlessly keep arguing about Ukraine and Russia, and how we think they are bastards or saints, or get on with dealing with the real issues which matter'.

And a success for Modi and Bharat in pulling the wool over attendees eyes in having beautified the area around the venue, demolishing homes, filling in open sewers, and pushing India's huge problems out of sight. China would approve of that approach. The west just locates well away from their poverty and destitution and pretends it doesn't exist.

I'm not so sure Modi's expectation that this puts India on course to being the world's number one superpower will be entertained by all. I am wondering if Biden put India ahead or after China on his war list.

Re: Modi scores G20 win

<20230911161036.00002b1f@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11236&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#11236

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Modi scores G20 win
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:10:36 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:10 UTC

On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 13:24:57 +0100
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> I guess it is a success for Modi in getting the declaration watered
> down so it pretty much says nothing about Ukraine or Russia beyond
> typical tree-hugger Kumbayah stuff; "war is bad, m'kay".

It seems western self-interest in wanting to ensure the Modi hosted summit was a huge success forced the west into accepting anything which could be agreed upon, sold as a success, even if it wasn't what they might have liked -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-66716544

I can understand Zelensky railing that Ukraine has been sold out by the west, that the west holds their self-interest as more important than Ukraine.

I'm surprised it's taken him this long to figure that out, or thinks anyone needs to be reminded of this truth.

Why does he think the west are simply sweeping Russian attacks which impact NATO territory under the carpet ?

I think Zelensky is in for a real shock if Putin does nuke Kiev and the west simply whistles into the wind, puts its self-interest in not engaging in World War III ahead of avenging Ukraine.

The best Ukraine can hope for is that the west negotiates with Putin that we, or he, nukes some uninhabited wasteland in Russia and we will agree to call it evens.

And we would probably settle for Putin letting us pretend we had taken revenge, not casting doubt on that bullshit narrative.