From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Not all coppers are bastards
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:05:09 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 13:05 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66827856

<quotes>

The Metropolitan Police has apologised and agreed to pay a settlement to a man who suffered a brain injury after being hit on the head by a police baton during a protest 13 years ago.

He was charged with violent disorder and faced numerous trials before being unanimously acquitted in March 2022.

"It felt like a process that was never going to end," Mr Meadows told Channel 4 News. "It felt like I was on trial the whole time, that I was being punished for the crime of surviving this police assault."

"All of the years I've lost fighting for truth and accountability and coming up against denial, blame and attempts to criminalise me," he said.

On Friday, a Met police spokesman said Mr Meadows suffered "very serious injuries" during the 2010 demonstration.

"We acknowledge that Mr Meadows was protesting peacefully and the use of force against him was unjustified," he said.

"We sincerely regret, despite extensive CCTV and witness inquiries, the officer who struck Mr Meadows did not come forward, could not be identified and has not been held to account for their actions."

</quotes>

The use of force, violent assaults on peaceful protestors, wasn't justified, but was standard police tactics, supported, encouraged and defended by the government, Home Secretary, and Conservative MP's.

It still is.