From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: The cost of not caring
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:46:54 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:46 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66861960

<quotes>

The NHS is having to pay millions of pounds to plug holes in front-line staffing left by striking doctors.

In one case, a consultant in Plymouth was paid more than £3,000 to cover a 12.5-hour junior-doctor night shift.

Paying for cover is costing hospitals three times more than they save in the wages deducted from striking junior doctors, hospitals are reporting.

</quotes>

That rather highlights how little junior doctors get paid for horrendously long shifts which are worth a lot more than they receive.

The government says they can't afford to pay essential NHS staff a fair wage. But we cannot afford to have them leave their jobs if they don't.

Relying on willingness to work for less than is deserved is no way to run the NHS or any business for that matter.

Everyone who is criticising doctors for striking would do well to reflect on how much worse it would be if doctors chose some other career instead.