From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Australian lawmakers call for release of Julian Assange during
talks in Washington
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:25:50 GMT
 by: TWP - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:25 UTC

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/australian-lawmakers-call-for-release-
of-julian-assange-during-talks-in-washington/ar-AA1h1IHz

WASHINGTON/SYDNEY (Reuters) -A cross-party delegation of Australian
lawmakers that traveled to the United States seeking the release of
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said they had a productive discussion in
Washington with the U.S. Justice Department.

The group of Australian lawmakers urged U.S. officials to drop their
attempts to extradite Assange from a British prison to the United States,
where he is wanted on charges over WikiLeaks' release of confidential U.S.
military records and diplomatic cables.

Labor Member of Parliament Tony Zappia said Australians believed Assange,
an Australian citizen, had been punished enough and that his charges
should be dropped.

Re: Australian lawmakers call for release of Julian Assange during talks in Washington

<20230921162741.000056e3@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11330&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#11330

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
talks in Washington
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:27:41 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:27 UTC

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:25:50 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Labor Member of Parliament Tony Zappia said Australians believed
> Assange, an Australian citizen, had been punished enough and that his
> charges should be dropped.

Hard not to agree. He spent 7 years holed-up fearing extradition which the US pretended they weren't seeking, and over 4 years locked up fighting that extradition.

But America loves hurting those they have taken a dislike to so I can't see it happening.

I don't think the timing is ideal. Making it a potential "we want him nailed to a cross" issue for the MAGA base in the run-up to 2024 doesn't do him any favours.