From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Army stood down
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 15:50:35 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:50 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66909729

<quotes>

The Army has been stood down from supporting the Metropolitan Police after hundreds of officers stepped back from firearms duties.

The Met Police said on social media: "As of lunchtime on Monday, the number of officers who had returned to armed duties was sufficient for us to no longer require external assistance to meet our counterterrorism responsibilities."

</quotes>

Sounds to me like the Met has been forced to dig the Home Secretary, Braverman, out of the hole she had dug for herself in putting civilian policing in the hands of the military.

The optics of that didn't look at all good, were far more worrying than the hyperbolic nonsense that the Army had been put on standby for May Day Riots in the past.

I am pretty sure the Army itself will have objected to soldiers taking an active role in civilian policing. They always have in the past, would only do so during a state of emergency. And they don't like being played as political footballs.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Army told Braverman and the Met, "No, we won't be doing that. End of. You sort it out".