From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Humax files gone!
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:26:02 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:26 UTC

My Humax Fox T2 has a 2TB HDD, and was loaded with loads of programmes.
There was always enough headroom that I could do some file manipulation
(duplication producing original copies) and still have space.
But last night, I turned on and found that all the separate folders
with multiple files had gone. Individual single-file programmes were
still there, but everything else had vanished. It is possible that I
made a mistake when Deleting the 'Deleted' folder (I use the Customised
Firmware ( CF )that parks deleted files until they get permanently
deleted), but the main folders were not there.
It is a mystery.

Whatever the cause, whether equipment failure or operator error, is
there any way I can get them back, or are they now gone for ever?
Luckily, all important programmes were backed up, but I am missing a
load of stuff that I was gradually watching.

Using the CF, I can Telnet into the Humax. It offers the following
maint - Restart into maintenance mode.
safe - Enable safe mode on next boot.
rma - Enable return-to-manufacturer (RMA) mode.
reset - Reset custom firmware environment.
upgrade - Upgrade all installed packages.
passwd - Remove web interface password.
fixweb - Re-install web interface.
stat - Show current activity.
x - Exit and close connection.
reboot - Reboot the Humax.
diag - Run a diagnostic.
cli - System command line (advanced users).

Any help welcome.

--
Davey.

Re: Humax files gone!

<ulesf4$1cj2r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1137&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1137

From: martin@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Humax files gone!
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:29:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:29 UTC

On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:26:02 +0000, Davey wrote:

> My Humax Fox T2 has a 2TB HDD, and was loaded with loads of programmes.
> There was always enough headroom that I could do some file manipulation
> (duplication producing original copies) and still have space.
> But last night, I turned on and found that all the separate folders with
> multiple files had gone. Individual single-file programmes were still
> there, but everything else had vanished. It is possible that I made a
> mistake when Deleting the 'Deleted' folder (I use the Customised
> Firmware ( CF )that parks deleted files until they get permanently
> deleted), but the main folders were not there.
> It is a mystery.
>
> Whatever the cause, whether equipment failure or operator error, is
> there any way I can get them back, or are they now gone for ever?
> Luckily, all important programmes were backed up, but I am missing a
> load of stuff that I was gradually watching.
>
> Using the CF, I can Telnet into the Humax. It offers the following
> maint - Restart into maintenance mode.
> safe - Enable safe mode on next boot.
> rma - Enable return-to-manufacturer (RMA) mode.
> reset - Reset custom firmware environment.
> upgrade - Upgrade all installed packages.
> passwd - Remove web interface password.
> fixweb - Re-install web interface.
> stat - Show current activity.
> x - Exit and close connection.
> reboot - Reboot the Humax.
> diag - Run a diagnostic.
> cli - System command line (advanced users).
>
> Any help welcome.

Only questions: since it sounds like you have no backups for the Humanx.

- is there a firewall between your Humanx and your internet connection?
the rest of your systems?

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Humax files gone!

<ulf1l1$1de42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1138&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1138

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:57:52 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:57 UTC

On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:29:24 -0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> Only questions: since it sounds like you have no backups for the
> Humanx.

Well: "Luckily, all important programmes were backed up,.." It's the
less important items that weren't backed up that I would like to
recover. If they're gone, they're gone, and I will move on.

> - is there a firewall between your Humanx and your internet
> connection? the rest of your systems?

That which is provided by my Fritz!box and Ubuntu, which I always
thought was adequate. Maybe I need to be a bit more proactive?

--
Davey.

Re: Humax files gone!

<ulfkdk$1cj2r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1139&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1139

From: martin@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:18:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:18 UTC

On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:57:52 +0000, Davey wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:29:24 -0000 (UTC)
> Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Only questions: since it sounds like you have no backups for the
>> Humanx.
>>

> Well: "Luckily, all important programmes were backed up,.." It's the
> less important items that weren't backed up that I would like to
> recover. If they're gone, they're gone, and I will move on.
>>
>> - is there a firewall between your Humanx and your internet connection?
>> the rest of your systems?
>
> That which is provided by my Fritz!box and Ubuntu, which I always
> thought was adequate. Maybe I need to be a bit more proactive?

Have you configured its firewall appropriately, i.e. all ports blocking
externally received connection requests EXCEPT those that are used by your
Humanx and any other server(s) that you expect to handle externally
received connection requests (its quite possible there are none of these).

Use GRC.COM, https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

to scan your IP address from the outside.

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Humax files gone!

<ulfsbb$1hvuf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1140&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1140

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:33:29 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:33 UTC

On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:18:12 -0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> Use GRC.COM, https://www.grc.com/intro.htm
>
> to scan your IP address from the outside.

Yes, I have used GRC for many years. I just tested using it, and my
system passed.
But it reminded me of his SpinRight, which I will take a look at
tomorrow. I have never used it, but it might help here

More later, time for the pub!

--
Davey

Re: Humax files gone!

<ulh69o$1riuu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1141&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1141

From: news15@tynecomp.co.uk (Martin Liddle)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:29:28 +0000
 by: Martin Liddle - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:29 UTC

On 14/12/2023 11:26, Davey wrote:
> It is possible that I
> made a mistake when Deleting the 'Deleted' folder (I use the Customised
> Firmware ( CF )that parks deleted files until they get permanently
> deleted), but the main folders were not there.
> It is a mystery.

For questions about the custom firmware you would get much more sensible
answers by asking the question at https://hummy.tv/forum/ where the
experts are to be found.

--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire UK

Re: Humax files gone!

<ulh9ar$1s185$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1142&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1142

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:21:15 +0000
 by: Davey - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:21 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:29:28 +0000
Martin Liddle <news15@tynecomp.co.uk> wrote:

> On 14/12/2023 11:26, Davey wrote:
> > It is possible that I
> > made a mistake when Deleting the 'Deleted' folder (I use the
> > Customised Firmware ( CF )that parks deleted files until they get
> > permanently deleted), but the main folders were not there.
> > It is a mystery.
> >

> For questions about the custom firmware you would get much more
> sensible answers by asking the question at https://hummy.tv/forum/
> where the experts are to be found.

Yes, that was going to be my next step. I already have an 'account'
there.I was thinking that this was more of a general Linux problem, but
I will try them anyway, there is nothing to lose.

--
Davey.