From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Accessing remote partition
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 12:21:48 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 12:21 UTC

I have a laptop that is my daily working PC, and a desktop that serves
as the CCTV Zoneminder host, daily file backup device, etc. It has three
partitions. My daily backup uses rsync, and copies any changed files on
the laptop to a partition on the desktop called 'samsung'. Both PCs use
Ubuntu, of differing ages.
Using the standard ssh connection to the desktop goes automatically to
the partition with zoneminder, called 'Davey'. That's what I want to
happen.
Occasionally, I need to do some file manipulation on the 'samsung'
partition, but I cannot find how to access that partition from the
laptop. The rsync language (---:/samsung/) only works with rsync, and
outside rsync, all my attempts to change the working active partition
fail. Either it cannot be done, or it can, but I don't know the right
command. I have searched the Ubuntu Wiki, with no success. If the only
way is to go physically to the desktop and mount the partition from
there, then so be it.
If the answer is easy, great, but I can't find it. I see references to
sshfs, but I would need to install and configure that, and I am hoping
to do it with what is already available. The desktop does not talk to
the internet.
Any help very welcome. Hopefully the answer is simple.
--
Davey.

Re: Accessing remote partition

<iGr*qtVBz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1172&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1172

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Accessing remote partition
Date: 01 Feb 2024 17:22:08 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:22 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> I have a laptop that is my daily working PC, and a desktop that serves
> as the CCTV Zoneminder host, daily file backup device, etc. It has three
> partitions. My daily backup uses rsync, and copies any changed files on
> the laptop to a partition on the desktop called 'samsung'. Both PCs use
> Ubuntu, of differing ages.
> Using the standard ssh connection to the desktop goes automatically to
> the partition with zoneminder, called 'Davey'. That's what I want to
> happen.
> Occasionally, I need to do some file manipulation on the 'samsung'
> partition, but I cannot find how to access that partition from the
> laptop. The rsync language (---:/samsung/) only works with rsync, and
> outside rsync, all my attempts to change the working active partition
> fail. Either it cannot be done, or it can, but I don't know the right
> command. I have searched the Ubuntu Wiki, with no success. If the only
> way is to go physically to the desktop and mount the partition from
> there, then so be it.
> If the answer is easy, great, but I can't find it. I see references to
> sshfs, but I would need to install and configure that, and I am hoping
> to do it with what is already available. The desktop does not talk to
> the internet.
> Any help very welcome. Hopefully the answer is simple.

Run:

$ df

It will give you a list of partitions and the places they are mounted, as
well as their size and free space (in blocks, if you add -h it gives them in
GB). [df = 'disc free', -h for 'human']

The mount point is what you need to use for rsync, ie probably something
like:

rsync afile mypc:/media/yourusername/Davey/
or
scp afile mypc:/media/yourusername/Davey/

The default location ('mypc:') goes to your home directory, wherever that is
located.

If you SSH in to run commands, you'd need to:

cd /media/yourusername/Davey

to get in the right place

Theo

Re: Accessing remote partition

<upgqcd$26lhg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1173&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1173

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:11:09 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:11 UTC

On 01 Feb 2024 17:22:08 +0000 (GMT)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > I have a laptop that is my daily working PC, and a desktop that
> > serves as the CCTV Zoneminder host, daily file backup device, etc.
> > It has three partitions. My daily backup uses rsync, and copies any
> > changed files on the laptop to a partition on the desktop called
> > 'samsung'. Both PCs use Ubuntu, of differing ages.
> > Using the standard ssh connection to the desktop goes automatically
> > to the partition with zoneminder, called 'Davey'. That's what I
> > want to happen.
> > Occasionally, I need to do some file manipulation on the 'samsung'
> > partition, but I cannot find how to access that partition from the
> > laptop. The rsync language (---:/samsung/) only works with rsync,
> > and outside rsync, all my attempts to change the working active
> > partition fail. Either it cannot be done, or it can, but I don't
> > know the right command. I have searched the Ubuntu Wiki, with no
> > success. If the only way is to go physically to the desktop and
> > mount the partition from there, then so be it.
> > If the answer is easy, great, but I can't find it. I see references
> > to sshfs, but I would need to install and configure that, and I am
> > hoping to do it with what is already available. The desktop does
> > not talk to the internet.
> > Any help very welcome. Hopefully the answer is simple.
>
> Run:
>
> $ df
>
> It will give you a list of partitions and the places they are
> mounted, as well as their size and free space (in blocks, if you add
> -h it gives them in GB). [df = 'disc free', -h for 'human']
>
> The mount point is what you need to use for rsync, ie probably
> something like:
>
> rsync afile mypc:/media/yourusername/Davey/
> or
> scp afile mypc:/media/yourusername/Davey/
>
> The default location ('mypc:') goes to your home directory, wherever
> that is located.
>
> If you SSH in to run commands, you'd need to:
>
> cd /media/yourusername/Davey
>
> to get in the right place
>
> Theo

Thanks for that. I'll try tomorrow. My rsync routines work fine, it's
the moving around amongst the remote partitions that I can't get.
Hopefully, your suggestions will work for me. I will report progress.
Your last idea sounds appropriate.

--
Davey.

Re: Accessing remote partition

<upj5gf$2lsvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1174&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1174

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:33:19 +0000
 by: Davey - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:33 UTC

On 01 Feb 2024 17:22:08 +0000 (GMT)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Run:
>
> $ df
>
> It will give you a list of partitions and the places they are
> mounted, as well as their size and free space (in blocks, if you add
> -h it gives them in GB). [df = 'disc free', -h for 'human']

Check, worked as described.

> The mount point is what you need to use for rsync, ie probably
> something like:
>
> rsync afile mypc:/media/yourusername/Davey/
> or
> scp afile mypc:/media/yourusername/Davey/
>
> The default location ('mypc:') goes to your home directory, wherever
> that is located.
>
> If you SSH in to run commands, you'd need to:
>
> cd /media/yourusername/Davey
>
> to get in the right place

This gave a 'No such file or directory' response, when trying to get
to 'samsung' partition.

However, simply typing 'cd /samsung' worked. I would have sworn that I
tried that yesterday or the day before.

Whatever, your prompts have got me where I need to be, many thanks for
that.
--
Davey.