... or were you driving the PONTIAC that HONKED at me in MIAMI last Tuesday?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

SubjectAuthor
* Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleAndrew
+- Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleJNugent
+- Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleIan Jackson
 +* Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peoplecharles
 |+- Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleIan Jackson
 |`- Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleTim Streater
 +* Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleRod Speed
 |+- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
 |`* Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleJNugent
 | `- Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleThe Natural Philosopher
 `- Re: The will of (98.75%) of the peopleThe Natural Philosopher

1
Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119586&group=uk.d-i-y#119586

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:58:58 +0000
 by: Andrew - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:58 UTC

On 27/12/2023 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2023 at 10:41:17 GMT, "Jethro_uk" <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
>
>> is metric
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67795075
>>
>> I am amused at the coy way the headline concentrates on the weird fact we
>> can now have wine in pints. Not quite sure what fucking use that is to an
>> exporter (most UK wine is of course exported).
>
> Various beverages have long been available in bottles containing 568ml - or
> hadn't you noticed.

But NOT wine !!.

Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
because that is what the British both produce and drink.

Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
metric.

Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<kv8cntFenqjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119587&group=uk.d-i-y#119587

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:08:13 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:08 UTC

On 29/12/2023 04:58 pm, Andrew wrote:
> On 27/12/2023 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 27 Dec 2023 at 10:41:17 GMT, "Jethro_uk" <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> is metric
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67795075
>>>
>>> I am amused at the coy way the headline concentrates on the weird
>>> fact we
>>> can now have wine in pints. Not quite sure what fucking use that is
>>> to an
>>> exporter (most UK wine is of course exported).
>>
>> Various beverages have long been available in bottles containing 568ml
>> - or
>> hadn't you noticed.
>>

> But NOT wine !!.
>
> Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
> because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>
> Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
> metric.
>
> Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
> or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
> as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.

Won't we be able to judge the truth of that when and if it happens?

And isn't any assertion such as the one you have just made simply
wishful thinking?

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<ummv92$tav6$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119597&group=uk.d-i-y#119597

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:22:42 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:22 UTC

On 29/12/2023 16:58, Andrew wrote:
> On 27/12/2023 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 27 Dec 2023 at 10:41:17 GMT, "Jethro_uk" <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> is metric
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67795075
>>>
>>> I am amused at the coy way the headline concentrates on the weird
>>> fact we
>>> can now have wine in pints. Not quite sure what fucking use that is
>>> to an
>>> exporter (most UK wine is of course exported).
>>
>> Various beverages have long been available in bottles containing 568ml
>> - or
>> hadn't you noticed.
>>

> But NOT wine !!.
>
> Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
> because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>
> Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
> metric.
>
> Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
> or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
> as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.

Oh its obvious they will use it to say 'look, no one wants this' and
therefore quietly ditch the whole idea along with anything else that
might make it hard to re-enter the Union.

--
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.”

― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<ENXLe2K+QyjlFwWQ@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119647&group=uk.d-i-y#119647

From: ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 19:55:42 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 19:55 UTC

In message <ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
<Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes
>On 27/12/2023 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 27 Dec 2023 at 10:41:17 GMT, "Jethro_uk" <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
>>
>>> is metric
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67795075
>>>
>>> I am amused at the coy way the headline concentrates on the weird fact we
>>> can now have wine in pints. Not quite sure what fucking use that is to an
>>> exporter (most UK wine is of course exported).
>> Various beverages have long been available in bottles containing
>>568ml - or
>> hadn't you noticed.
>>

>But NOT wine !!.
>
>Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
>because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>
>Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
>metric.
>
>Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
>or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
>as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.

Surely offering any product in two fairly similar sizes is illogical?
It's against the principles of economy of scale, and 'standardization is
next to godliness. And as Henry Ford said, "You can have any colour as
long as it's black".
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<5b1a84d048charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119653&group=uk.d-i-y#119653

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 23 20:30:05 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 20:30 UTC

In article <ENXLe2K+QyjlFwWQ@brattleho.plus.com>,
Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
> <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes

> >> Various beverages have long been available in bottles containing
> >>568ml - or
> >> hadn't you noticed.
> >>

> >But NOT wine !!.
> >
> >Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
> >because that is what the British both produce and drink.
> >
> >Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
> >metric.
> >
> >Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
> >or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
> >as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.

> Surely offering any product in two fairly similar sizes is illogical?
> It's against the principles of economy of scale, and 'standardization is
> next to godliness. And as Henry Ford said, "You can have any colour as
> long as it's black".

and that was because black paint dried quickest. This meant a faster
factory output

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<op.2gqfiynibyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119656&group=uk.d-i-y#119656

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:05:12 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:05 UTC

On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 06:55:42 +1100, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
> <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes
>> On 27/12/2023 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:

>>> Various beverages have long been available in bottles containing
>>> 568ml - or
>>> hadn't you noticed.
>>>

>> But NOT wine !!.
>>
>> Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
>> because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>>
>> Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
>> metric.
>>
>> Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
>> or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
>> as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.

> Surely offering any product in two fairly similar sizes is illogical?

Have fun explaining AA and AAA batterys.

> It's against the principles of economy of scale,

Bullshit if there is a good reason for both sizes like there is with what
is a convenient size of drink.

> and 'standardization is next to godliness.

That is a different thing, particularly with bolt sizes etc.

And 200ml cans of drink of various types.

But we don't even do that with car tires, or batterys or cars either.

> And as Henry Ford said, "You can have any colour as long as it's black".

Even you should have noticed that we gave up on that quite a while ago now.

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<mq4znBRAPzjlFwhj@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119657&group=uk.d-i-y#119657

From: ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:01:52 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:01 UTC

In message <5b1a84d048charles@candehope.me.uk>, charles
<charles@candehope.me.uk> writes
>In article <ENXLe2K+QyjlFwWQ@brattleho.plus.com>,
> Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
>> <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes

>> >But NOT wine !!.
>> >
>> >Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
>> >because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>> >
>> >Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
>> >metric.
>> >
>> >Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
>> >or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
>> >as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.
>
>> Surely offering any product in two fairly similar sizes is illogical?
>> It's against the principles of economy of scale, and 'standardization is
>> next to godliness. And as Henry Ford said, "You can have any colour as
>> long as it's black".
>
>and that was because black paint dried quickest. This meant a faster
>factory output

I hadn't heard that before. But is it true? This website gives a reason
for black - but not because it was quickest drying. [Other websites
might do, but I haven't checked.]
<https://collectorsautosupply.com/blog/true-or-false-did-ford-really-say-
any-color-the-customer-wants-as-long-as-its-black/>

--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<rZGjN.9794$Wbff.2468@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119659&group=uk.d-i-y#119659

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 22:35:52 +0100
 by: Peeler - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:35 UTC

On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:05:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard about trolling senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant twat."
MID: <r5uoe4$1kqo$2@gioia.aioe.org>

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<kv8u21FholbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119661&group=uk.d-i-y#119661

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Dec 2023 22:03:45 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 22:03 UTC

On 29 Dec 2023 at 20:30:05 GMT, "charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

> In article <ENXLe2K+QyjlFwWQ@brattleho.plus.com>,
> Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
>> <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes

>>> But NOT wine !!.
>>>
>>> Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
>>> because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>>>
>>> Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
>>> metric.
>>>
>>> Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
>>> or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
>>> as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.
>
>> Surely offering any product in two fairly similar sizes is illogical?
>> It's against the principles of economy of scale, and 'standardization is
>> next to godliness. And as Henry Ford said, "You can have any colour as
>> long as it's black".
>
> and that was because black paint dried quickest. This meant a faster
> factory output

Why would that be, then?

--
If socialism helps the poor, why are the poor in socialist countries so much poorer than the poor in capitalist countries?

Mark

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<kv951nFis6fU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119669&group=uk.d-i-y#119669

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 00:03:03 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 00:03 UTC

On 29/12/2023 09:05 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 06:55:42 +1100, Ian Jackson
> <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
>> <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes

>>> But NOT wine !!.
>>>
>>> Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
>>> because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>>>
>>> Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
>>> metric.
>>>
>>> Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
>>> or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
>>> as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.
>
>> Surely offering any product in two fairly similar sizes is illogical?
>
> Have fun explaining AA and AAA batterys.
>
>> It's against the principles of economy of scale,
>
> Bullshit if there is a good reason for both sizes like there is with
> what is a convenient size of drink.

Good point.

>> and 'standardization is  next to godliness.
>
> That is a different thing, particularly with bolt sizes etc.
>
> And 200ml cans of drink of various types.

One pint (16 fl oz) cans of beer are easily available in the USA.

> But we don't even do that with car tires, or batterys or cars either.

How about car tyres, though?

>> And as Henry Ford said, "You can have any colour as  long as it's black".
>
> Even you should have noticed that we gave up on that quite a while ago now.

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<umonda$17qcv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119679&group=uk.d-i-y#119679

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:20:42 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:20 UTC

On 29/12/2023 19:55, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <ummtsi$t68p$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
> <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes
>> On 27/12/2023 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:

>>>  Various beverages have long been available in bottles containing
>>> 568ml - or
>>> hadn't you noticed.
>>>

>> But NOT wine !!.
>>
>> Beer, Milk and cider might have been sold in pints but only
>> because that is what the British both produce and drink.
>>
>> Wine, OTOH has historically come from abroad where they use
>> metric.
>>
>> Selling wine by the pint is the ultimate in Brexit stupidity,
>> or maybe it is just a ploy to sell LESS wine for the same price
>> as the normal 75cl bottle. Shrinkflation strikes again.
>
> Surely offering any product in two fairly similar sizes is illogical?
> It's against the principles of economy of scale, and 'standardization is
> next to godliness.  And as Henry Ford said, "You can have any colour as
> long as it's black".

The whole idea is to ridicule the drive to let people have the units
they are used to thinking in, so that when they takes us back into the
EU, its not abrupt.

--
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere,
diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”

Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people

<umonhv$17qcv$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119681&group=uk.d-i-y#119681

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:23:11 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:23 UTC

On 30/12/2023 00:03, JNugent wrote:

>> But we don't even do that with car tires, or batterys or cars either.
>
> How about car tyres, though?

Rim in inches, width in mm and the depth as a percent.

You couldn't make it up.

Yet people manage and the sky does not fall.

--
"Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have
forgotten your aim."

George Santayana

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: The will of (98.75%) of the people