From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Re: I pop back and can't recognise the place
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:00:27 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:00 UTC

In message <004f5a42-7846-4e50-8878-64f6ffbe2951n@googlegroups.com>,
"lawre...@sky.com" <lawrence13@sky.com> writes
>Where has everyone gone, what are all these strange gobbledygook messages.

Quite a few of us are still here. As for the gobbledygook messages,
they're spam. There's been a big outbreak recently.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: I pop back and can't recognise the place

<kp71ilF4h0tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12260&group=uk.sci.weather#12260

From: invalid@invalid.com (Norman Lynagh)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: 17 Oct 2023 09:13:57 GMT
 by: Norman Lynagh - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:13 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <004f5a42-7846-4e50-8878-64f6ffbe2951n@googlegroups.com>,
> "lawre...@sky.com" <lawrence13@sky.com> writes
> > Where has everyone gone, what are all these strange gobbledygook messages.
>
> Quite a few of us are still here. As for the gobbledygook messages, they're
> spam. There's been a big outbreak recently.

A good newsreader can filter them out completely. I use Xananews and don't see
any of the rubbish.

--
Norman Lynagh
Tideswell, Derbyshire

Re: I pop back and can't recognise the place

<f3NgLOCqrlLlFwGx@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12263&group=uk.sci.weather#12263

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:59:06 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:59 UTC

In message <kp71ilF4h0tU1@mid.individual.net>, Norman Lynagh
<invalid@invalid.com> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <004f5a42-7846-4e50-8878-64f6ffbe2951n@googlegroups.com>,
>> "lawre...@sky.com" <lawrence13@sky.com> writes
>> > Where has everyone gone, what are all these strange gobbledygook messages.
>>
>> Quite a few of us are still here. As for the gobbledygook messages, they're
>> spam. There's been a big outbreak recently.
>
>A good newsreader can filter them out completely. I use Xananews and don't see
>any of the rubbish.

I don't see most of them either. But I see that Lawrence is using
Googlegroups so doesn't have that option. Hopefully before too much
longer GG themselves will managed to deal with it.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: I pop back and can't recognise the place

<kp7nkjF7vd6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12266&group=uk.sci.weather#12266

From: nigel_paice@sky.com (Nigel Paice)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:30:28 +0100
 by: Nigel Paice - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:30 UTC

On 17/10/2023 10:13, Norman Lynagh wrote:
> John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <004f5a42-7846-4e50-8878-64f6ffbe2951n@googlegroups.com>,
>> "lawre...@sky.com" <lawrence13@sky.com> writes
>>> Where has everyone gone, what are all these strange gobbledygook messages.
>>
>> Quite a few of us are still here. As for the gobbledygook messages, they're
>> spam. There's been a big outbreak recently.
>
> A good newsreader can filter them out completely. I use Xananews and don't see
> any of the rubbish.

After a few days of having to manually delete hundreds of these
spam messages, they have since been automatically deleted each
time I return to this newsgroup (barring half a dozen or so),
leaving the genuine messages untouched.

Nigel

www.avg.com