From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Text message not coming through
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:09:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 20:09 UTC

On 20/04/2023 08:12, Davey wrote:
> Looking at:
> https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/setting-2-step-verification-2sv,
> I see: "Authenticator Apps on your smart phone (or tablet) are the main
> alternative to text messages. Google Authenticator and Microsoft
> Authenticator are examples of this type of app. Once you've installed
> one, you can use the same app when setting up 2SV on any accounts that
> have this as an option. These apps offer lots of advantages over text
> messages, such as not needing a mobile signal, or having to wait for a
> text message to arrive." Which still doesn't explain how it is useable
> on a landline, unless it can be set up using my tablet, and then
> recognises my landline.
> I need to spend more time on this later, it's not clear to me (yet!).

Amazon would need to support authenticator apps.

<https://www.ontimetech.com/technology-news/how-do-apps-like-google-and-microsoft-authenticator-work/>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator>

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Text message not coming through

<kb5it3Fhc82U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1227&group=uk.telecom#1227

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 29 Apr 2023 22:09:39 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 22:09 UTC

On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:09:37 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:

> On 20/04/2023 08:12, Davey wrote:
>> Looking at:
>> https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/setting-2-step-verification-2sv,
>> I see: "Authenticator Apps on your smart phone (or tablet) are the main
>> alternative to text messages. Google Authenticator and Microsoft
>> Authenticator are examples of this type of app. Once you've installed
>> one, you can use the same app when setting up 2SV on any accounts that
>> have this as an option. These apps offer lots of advantages over text
>> messages, such as not needing a mobile signal, or having to wait for a
>> text message to arrive." Which still doesn't explain how it is useable
>> on a landline, unless it can be set up using my tablet, and then
>> recognises my landline.
>> I need to spend more time on this later, it's not clear to me (yet!).
>
> Amazon would need to support authenticator apps.

AWS already does. I use it (and them).

Re: Text message not coming through

<kb6r9hFq5n7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=uk.telecom#1228

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 10:38:56 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 09:38 UTC

On 29/04/2023 21:09, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 08:12, Davey wrote:
>> Looking at:
>> https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/setting-2-step-verification-2sv,
>> I see: "Authenticator Apps on your smart phone (or tablet) are the main
>> alternative to text messages. Google Authenticator and Microsoft
>> Authenticator are examples of this type of app. Once you've installed
>> one, you can use the same app when setting up 2SV on any accounts that
>> have this as an option. These apps offer lots of advantages over text
>> messages, such as not needing a mobile signal, or having to wait for a
>> text message to arrive." Which still doesn't explain how it is useable
>> on a landline, unless it can be set up using my tablet, and then
>> recognises my landline.
>> I need to spend more time on this later, it's not clear to me (yet!).
>
> Amazon would need to support authenticator apps.

Amazon does. Have a look in the security settings in Your Account ->
Login & Security.

P.S. Take a copy of any backup codes and keep them in a safe place!

--
Adrian C