"If I do not want others to quote me, I do not speak." -- Phil Wayne

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Re:Redring shower

SubjectAuthor
* Redring showerJim the Geordie
+* Re: Re:Redring showerTheo
|`* Re: Re:Redring showerJim The Geordie
| `- Re: Re:Redring showerTheo
+- Re: Redring showerSam Plusnet
+- Re: Redring showerAnimal
+- Re: Re:Redring showerJim the Geordie
`- Re: Re:Redring showerBrian Gaff

1
Redring shower

<MPG.40172083a7b0119c9896e0@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122363&group=uk.d-i-y#122363

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Redring shower
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:38:04 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:38 UTC

The thermostat in my electric shower is playing up so I intend replacing
it (or having someone else replace it)
I did it myself last time as the model (Active 320) had the exact same
layout as the previous model.
Is there a way of finding out whether newer models have the same layout
so there is a minimum of re-routing pipes ot cables?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Re:Redring shower

<5UE*mL1Az@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122431&group=uk.d-i-y#122431

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Re:Redring shower
Date: 21 Jan 2024 18:40:49 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:40 UTC

Graham. <graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote:
> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> Wrote in message:
> > The thermostat in my electric shower is playing up so I intend replacing
> > it (or having someone else replace it)I did it myself last time as the
> > model (Active 320) had the exact same layout as the previous model.Is
> > there a way of finding out whether newer models have the same layout so
> > there is a minimum of re-routing pipes ot cables?-- Jim the Geordie
>
> The temperature control on an instantaneous electric shower is not
> a thermostat, it's simply valve that varies the water flow rate.

There's a parts list and spares available here:
https://www.showerspares.com/redring_shower_spares/redring_all/redring_active_320_active_320/

If it's a 'thermostat' problem I'd be looking at the electrical components,
possibly the heater, the switches or thermal cutout.

Theo

Re: Redring shower

<qNerN.80886$CYpe.39587@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122447&group=uk.d-i-y#122447

Subject: Re: Redring shower
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:04:38 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:04 UTC

On 21-Jan-24 12:38, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> The thermostat in my electric shower is playing up so I intend replacing
> it (or having someone else replace it)
> I did it myself last time as the model (Active 320) had the exact same
> layout as the previous model.
> Is there a way of finding out whether newer models have the same layout
> so there is a minimum of re-routing pipes ot cables?

Contact the manufacturer and ask?

It must be a fairly common question (I had the same thing but with a
Mira shower), and they probably have a standard answer (maybe even a FAQ
on their website).

For a manufacturer, there is a clear commercial advantage in keeping
layouts as consistent as possible - changing things only when some "new
development" makes it necessary to change things around.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Redring shower

<aa814d92-ce52-4618-b2cc-ad9e6f3021b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122466&group=uk.d-i-y#122466

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:55:36 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbypurr@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:55 UTC

On Sunday 21 January 2024 at 12:38:12 UTC, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> The thermostat in my electric shower is playing up so I intend replacing
> it (or having someone else replace it)
> I did it myself last time as the model (Active 320) had the exact same
> layout as the previous model.
> Is there a way of finding out whether newer models have the same layout
> so there is a minimum of re-routing pipes ot cables?

dl the manual for both models. It'll include a pic/diagram

Re: Re:Redring shower

<MPG.4017bfec553c17199896e1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122499&group=uk.d-i-y#122499

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 23:58:13 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 23:58 UTC

In article <uoj5hd$6f8m$1@dont-email.me>, graham-usenet@mail.com says...

> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> Wrote in message:
> > The thermostat in my electric shower is playing up so I intend replacing it (or having someone else replace it)I did it myself last time as the model (Active 320) had the exact same layout as the previous model.Is there a way of finding out whether newer models have the same layout so there is a minimum of re-routing pipes ot cables?-- Jim the Geordie
>
> The temperature control on an instantaneous electric shower is not
> a thermostat, it's simply valve that varies the water flow rate.
>
> Can you give more details of the problem with model number?

It's not that the temperature doesn't change, it's that it cuts out.The
The light dims to the medium setting brightness and it goes cold,
before reaching a hot enough temperature for a comfortable shower.
Model is Active 320

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Re:Redring shower

<uoldm0$m4mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122518&group=uk.d-i-y#122518

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:48:47 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:48 UTC

Is there not one to protect the element though?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Graham. " <graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote in message
> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> Wrote in message:
>> The thermostat in my electric shower is playing up so I intend replacing
>> it (or having someone else replace it)I did it myself last time as the
>> model (Active 320) had the exact same layout as the previous model.Is
>> there a way of finding out whether newer models have the same layout so
>> there is a minimum of re-routing pipes ot cables?-- Jim the Geordie
>
> The temperature control on an instantaneous electric shower is not
> a thermostat, it's simply valve that varies the water flow rate.
>
> Can you give more details of the problem with model number?
> --
>
> Graham.
> %Profound_observation%

Re: Re:Redring shower

<6legbe215s3z.vw3k9n91786l.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122670&group=uk.d-i-y#122670

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim The Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:58:51 +0000
 by: Jim The Geordie - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:58 UTC

On 21 Jan 2024 18:40:49 +0000 (GMT), Theo wrote:

> Graham. <graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote:
>> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> Wrote in message:
>>> The thermostat in my electric shower is playing up so I intend replacing
>>> it (or having someone else replace it)I did it myself last time as the
>>> model (Active 320) had the exact same layout as the previous model.Is
>>> there a way of finding out whether newer models have the same layout so
>>> there is a minimum of re-routing pipes ot cables?-- Jim the Geordie
>>
>> The temperature control on an instantaneous electric shower is not
>> a thermostat, it's simply valve that varies the water flow rate.
>
> There's a parts list and spares available here:
> https://www.showerspares.com/redring_shower_spares/redring_all/redring_active_320_active_320/
>
> If it's a 'thermostat' problem I'd be looking at the electrical components,
> possibly the heater, the switches or thermal cutout.
>
> Theo

Almost certainly the thermal cutout.
I have one on the original California model, but although I coluld probably
remove it from there, I doubt whether I could replace it in the current one
whole standing on the edge of the bath.
Is it necessary anyhow? I could diconnect it.
--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Re:Redring shower

<5UE*mF+Az@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122672&group=uk.d-i-y#122672

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2024 11:12:49 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 11:12 UTC

Jim The Geordie <jim@jimxscott.co.uk> wrote:
> Almost certainly the thermal cutout.
> I have one on the original California model, but although I coluld probably
> remove it from there, I doubt whether I could replace it in the current one
> whole standing on the edge of the bath.
> Is it necessary anyhow? I could diconnect it.

I assume it's to avoid the element continuing to run if there's a pressure
drop in the water supply, resulting in the water output going overtemp. You
don't want to be standing under a shower of boiling water when that happens.

Theo

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Re:Redring shower