From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Window Shutters
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:45:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:45 UTC

Thinking of getting some window shutters for a large bay window (2m high; 3m
end to end). Quite like the look and apparently they help a great deal with
heat loss.

Anyone any experience of sourcing/fitting? I've been looking at:

https://shutters.co.uk

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Window Shutters

<09jwEJEZvCslFwKl@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122720&group=uk.d-i-y#122720

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Window Shutters
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:12:57 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:12 UTC

In message <uoou09$1cjob$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
writes
>Thinking of getting some window shutters for a large bay window (2m high; 3m
>end to end). Quite like the look and apparently they help a great deal with
>heat loss.
>
>Anyone any experience of sourcing/fitting? I've been looking at:
>
>https://shutters.co.uk

Hmm. We have them:-(

Managerial decision by the boss. I think she saw them in a neighbours
house and didn't ask about problems in use. Probably an interior Swiss
chalet vision!

I don't have them in any rooms I use so I will have to remind myself of
the issues.

1. For triple windows they hinge the middle set off one of the other
two. The assembly is not hugely rigid so they sag and swing into the
room if not secured to the wall. (I had thought of using magnets but
never got round to it).
2. Inclining the slats works well so they don't hugely impede vision
when set horizontal.
3. Anytime you want to adjust the window opening, you first have to open
and then re-close the shutters. My particular bugbear is having to open
them all to check the window locks when leaving the house ( gun licence
requirement)
4. They have to be fixed to the roomside of the window opening otherwise
they only open to 90deg.
5. To fully open you have to leave space so no bookcase/wardrobe etc.
near the window.
6. Perhaps not a huge issue but makes window ledge ornaments
superfluous.
7. Cleaning has not been mentioned (4 years) but I guess they have the
same dust gathering feature as Venetian blinds

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Window Shutters

<6UE*iWaBz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122722&group=uk.d-i-y#122722

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2024 21:31:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:31 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> Thinking of getting some window shutters for a large bay window (2m high; 3m
> end to end). Quite like the look and apparently they help a great deal with
> heat loss.
>
> Anyone any experience of sourcing/fitting? I've been looking at:

Fine if you want the look, but I'd have said some close fitting
cellular/honeycomb blinds or curtains would do a lot more for your thermal
performance, as they can get closer to airtight. Also if you want them for
solar shading they want to be outside, which is a PITA for UK outward
opening windows.

Theo

Re: Window Shutters

<uot96s$28e4f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122824&group=uk.d-i-y#122824

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:21:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:21 UTC

On 23 Jan 2024 at 21:12:57 GMT, Tim Lamb wrote:

> In message <uoou09$1cjob$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
> writes
>> Thinking of getting some window shutters for a large bay window (2m high; 3m
>> end to end). Quite like the look and apparently they help a great deal with
>> heat loss.
>>
>> Anyone any experience of sourcing/fitting? I've been looking at:
>>
>> https://shutters.co.uk
>
> Hmm. We have them:-(
>
> Managerial decision by the boss. I think she saw them in a neighbours
> house and didn't ask about problems in use. Probably an interior Swiss
> chalet vision!
>
> I don't have them in any rooms I use so I will have to remind myself of
> the issues.
>
> 1. For triple windows they hinge the middle set off one of the other
> two. The assembly is not hugely rigid so they sag and swing into the
> room if not secured to the wall. (I had thought of using magnets but
> never got round to it).

That's something I'd need to check - the centre pane is quite wide (160cm) and
tall (200cm), so there'd be a lot of weight to support.

> 2. Inclining the slats works well so they don't hugely impede vision
> when set horizontal.

Good, I'm also after a degree of privacy when they're open.

> 3. Anytime you want to adjust the window opening, you first have to open
> and then re-close the shutters. My particular bugbear is having to open
> them all to check the window locks when leaving the house ( gun licence
> requirement)

Can't see why that'd be a thing with the ones linked to, but one to watch. I'd
go for the concealed opening system and wood.

> 4. They have to be fixed to the roomside of the window opening otherwise
> they only open to 90deg.
> 5. To fully open you have to leave space so no bookcase/wardrobe etc.
> near the window.

That's be a slight hassle to be overcome - a sofa's in the way right now.

> 6. Perhaps not a huge issue but makes window ledge ornaments
> superfluous.

It's quite a deep ledge so a few inches would remain. I've not measured
properly yet but I'd hope for them to fit within an existing recess, about
15cm deep.

> 7. Cleaning has not been mentioned (4 years) but I guess they have the
> same dust gathering feature as Venetian blinds

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Window Shutters

<uot9c7$28emd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122825&group=uk.d-i-y#122825

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:24:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:24 UTC

On 23 Jan 2024 at 21:31:14 GMT, Theo wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Thinking of getting some window shutters for a large bay window (2m high; 3m
>> end to end). Quite like the look and apparently they help a great deal with
>> heat loss.
>>
>> Anyone any experience of sourcing/fitting? I've been looking at:
>
> Fine if you want the look, but I'd have said some close fitting
> cellular/honeycomb blinds or curtains would do a lot more for your thermal
> performance, as they can get closer to airtight. Also if you want them for
> solar shading they want to be outside, which is a PITA for UK outward
> opening windows.
>
> Theo

I've lost the source, but when I looked into this shutters managed far higher
thermal performance because, I think, they're framed, so trap air more
effectively. I can't see how a neat frame for cellular blinds can be managed
in a bay.

The bay is pretty much north facing, so shading isn't an issue.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Window Shutters

<6UE*2CjBz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122841&group=uk.d-i-y#122841

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Jan 2024 13:06:34 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:06 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> I've lost the source, but when I looked into this shutters managed far higher
> thermal performance because, I think, they're framed, so trap air more
> effectively. I can't see how a neat frame for cellular blinds can be managed
> in a bay.

I have some Ikea Hoppvals blinds, which I cut to match the window sizes.
They fit tightly up against the windows and make a big difference to thermal
performance.

It's possible to run them in a track of 38mm electrical trunking to make a
frame if you want that, but I found they fit tightly enough not to need the
frame.

https://youtu.be/WPAHBOVonPw?feature=shared&t=130

I did have to replace the window handles with low profile ones so
the blinds could go tight into the opening:
https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/venetian-slimline-espag-window-handle-in-white-for-use-with-window-blinds/

Theo

Re: Window Shutters

<uou6i2$2d59o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122851&group=uk.d-i-y#122851

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:42:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:42 UTC

On 25 Jan 2024 at 13:06:34 GMT, Theo wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> I've lost the source, but when I looked into this shutters managed far higher
>> thermal performance because, I think, they're framed, so trap air more
>> effectively. I can't see how a neat frame for cellular blinds can be managed
>> in a bay.
>
> I have some Ikea Hoppvals blinds, which I cut to match the window sizes.
> They fit tightly up against the windows and make a big difference to thermal
> performance.

Alas not wide enough (145cm is the absolute minimum) - but I could get some
made/measure.

> It's possible to run them in a track of 38mm electrical trunking to make a
> frame if you want that, but I found they fit tightly enough not to need the
> frame.

Yes, that might do against a wall, but I can't see the join being too
effective at the bay angles. I've asked at a place that does honeycomb in a
frame:

https://www.unbeatableblinds.co.uk/classic-white-perfect-fit-cellular-honeycomb-blind/

I can't see how the frame ('click fit') would be rigid over a 2m and 1.60m
width drop - I'll see what they say. Agreed they'd be likely better than
shutters for thermal performance . . .

> https://youtu.be/WPAHBOVonPw?feature=shared&t=130

Clever! That is a possibility, although whether I'm up to a neat job is far
from certain . . .

> I did have to replace the window handles with low profile ones so
> the blinds could go tight into the opening:
> https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/venetian-slimline-espag-window-handle-in-white-for-use-with-window-blinds/

Yale chrome handles - measure 50mm - could save 20mm there, thanks.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Window Shutters

<5UE*YIkBz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122854&group=uk.d-i-y#122854

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Jan 2024 18:04:57 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:04 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 25 Jan 2024 at 13:06:34 GMT, Theo wrote:
>
> > RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> >> I've lost the source, but when I looked into this shutters managed far higher
> >> thermal performance because, I think, they're framed, so trap air more
> >> effectively. I can't see how a neat frame for cellular blinds can be managed
> >> in a bay.
> >
> > I have some Ikea Hoppvals blinds, which I cut to match the window sizes.
> > They fit tightly up against the windows and make a big difference to thermal
> > performance.
> >

> Alas not wide enough (145cm is the absolute minimum) - but I could get some
> made/measure.

That's annoying. I have 9 windows adding up to 10 metres of width - the
largest window is 1.8m wide so that one has two blinds. It's not unusual to
have one down and one up, depending on the position of the sun. On the
Hoppvals if you remove the plastic end stop in the aluminium tube bottom bar
(hot glued in, use a bit of heat to release the glue) the two blinds have no
gap between them - could even join the bars together if you wanted that.

> > It's possible to run them in a track of 38mm electrical trunking to make a
> > frame if you want that, but I found they fit tightly enough not to need the
> > frame.
> >

> Yes, that might do against a wall, but I can't see the join being too
> effective at the bay angles. I've asked at a place that does honeycomb in a
> frame:
>
> https://www.unbeatableblinds.co.uk/classic-white-perfect-fit-cellular-honeycomb-blind/
>
> I can't see how the frame ('click fit') would be rigid over a 2m and 1.60m
> width drop - I'll see what they say. Agreed they'd be likely better than
> shutters for thermal performance . . .

I looked at that kind, they seem to have tabs which dig into the window
gaskets. My windows don't have fat enough gasketry to be suitable and I was
worried they would fall out. Maybe it would be ok if screwing into the
window.

Theo

Re: Window Shutters

<l1lj5qF8aukU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122988&group=uk.d-i-y#122988

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:50:18 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:50 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:42, RJH wrote:
> On 25 Jan 2024 at 13:06:34 GMT, Theo wrote:

>> I did have to replace the window handles with low profile ones so
>> the blinds could go tight into the opening:
>> https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/venetian-slimline-espag-window-handle-in-white-for-use-with-window-blinds/
>>

> Yale chrome handles - measure 50mm - could save 20mm there, thanks.

or thinner @ 16mm

https://www.verselo.co.uk/

https://www.verselo.co.uk/technical/

https://youtu.be/CpgLSgfdhec