RELATIVES!!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

SubjectAuthor
* SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
+* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Tim+
|`* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
| `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Tim+
|  `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
|   +* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?nib
|   |+- Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?me9
|   |`- Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Paul
|   `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
|    `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?RJH
|     `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
|      `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?RJH
|       `- Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
`* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?me9
 +* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?charles
 |`* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
 | `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Tim+
 |  `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
 |   `* Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Tim+
 |    `- Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack
 `- Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?Mike Halmarack

1
SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<rb3vqi94hglgnb9te7dr72dhnogb9ru9bj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122663&group=uk.d-i-y#122663

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:09:06 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:09 UTC

Has anyone else bought one of these kits and found a similar problem
to this?:
One of the plug in units (one of four) has taken to switching
on ok and it seems to switch off according to the green light on the
unit, which goes off but the appliances connected to the unit remain
on.
I've found this kit enormously helpful with the multiple devices
around the house when it comes time to shut down at night.

If these units are going to start failing so soon as some SilverCrest
kit has been found to do, Is there a more reliable brand?
--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<1435811845.727719601.732393.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122684&group=uk.d-i-y#122684

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2024 16:22:05 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:22 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else bought one of these kits and found a similar problem
> to this?:
> One of the plug in units (one of four) has taken to switching
> on ok and it seems to switch off according to the green light on the
> unit, which goes off but the appliances connected to the unit remain
> on.
> I've found this kit enormously helpful with the multiple devices
> around the house when it comes time to shut down at night.
>
> If these units are going to start failing so soon as some SilverCrest
> kit has been found to do, Is there a more reliable brand?

Sounds like the relay contacts are stuck. Sometimes a bit of “percussive
maintenance” will free the contacts.

Reliability wise, I think they’re as good as any other cheap radio switch.
Never had a problem with mine.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<mpro.s7q3s4002aatt05xg.me9@privacy.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122690&group=uk.d-i-y#122690

From: me9@privacy.net (me9)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:43:16 +0000
 by: me9 - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:43 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else bought one of these kits and found a similar problem to
> this?: One of the plug in units (one of four) has taken to switching on ok
> and it seems to switch off according to the green light on the unit, which
> goes off but the appliances connected to the unit remain on. I've found
> this kit enormously helpful with the multiple devices around the house
> when it comes time to shut down at night.
>
> If these units are going to start failing so soon as some SilverCrest kit
> has been found to do, Is there a more reliable brand?

i HAD SOME FROM aLDI OR lIDL, may have been Silvercrest, whuch exhibited teh
same problem. A whack with a stick fixed them for a short while, but I
replaced them eventually. It's probably just faulty relays, but I haven't
had time ti investigate that, probably the relays are nearly as expensive as
the complete product.

--
braind

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<m0svqi9rldjolgk3e8t91bjq98lopmtdh5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122697&group=uk.d-i-y#122697

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:10:55 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:10 UTC

On 23 Jan 2024 16:22:05 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone else bought one of these kits and found a similar problem
>> to this?:
>> One of the plug in units (one of four) has taken to switching
>> on ok and it seems to switch off according to the green light on the
>> unit, which goes off but the appliances connected to the unit remain
>> on.
>> I've found this kit enormously helpful with the multiple devices
>> around the house when it comes time to shut down at night.
>>
>> If these units are going to start failing so soon as some SilverCrest
>> kit has been found to do, Is there a more reliable brand?
>
>Sounds like the relay contacts are stuck. Sometimes a bit of “percussive
>maintenance” will free the contacts.
>
>Reliability wise, I think they’re as good as any other cheap radio switch.
>Never had a problem with mine.
>
>Tim
I patted the table leg with the thing but it still won't co-operate.
--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<415937576.727722867.161789.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122699&group=uk.d-i-y#122699

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2024 17:15:52 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:15 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2024 16:22:05 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
>> Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone else bought one of these kits and found a similar problem
>>> to this?:
>>> One of the plug in units (one of four) has taken to switching
>>> on ok and it seems to switch off according to the green light on the
>>> unit, which goes off but the appliances connected to the unit remain
>>> on.
>>> I've found this kit enormously helpful with the multiple devices
>>> around the house when it comes time to shut down at night.
>>>
>>> If these units are going to start failing so soon as some SilverCrest
>>> kit has been found to do, Is there a more reliable brand?
>>
>> Sounds like the relay contacts are stuck. Sometimes a bit of “percussive
>> maintenance” will free the contacts.
>>
>> Reliability wise, I think they’re as good as any other cheap radio switch.
>> Never had a problem with mine.
>>
>> Tim
> I patted the table leg with the thing but it still won't co-operate.

“Patted”? Give it some welly! Try in different directions too.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<5b27560942charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122703&group=uk.d-i-y#122703

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 24 17:45:05 UTC
 by: charles - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:45 UTC

In article <mpro.s7q3s4002aatt05xg.me9@privacy.net>, me9 <me9@privacy.net>
wrote:
> Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Has anyone else bought one of these kits and found a similar problem to
> > this?: One of the plug in units (one of four) has taken to switching on
> > ok and it seems to switch off according to the green light on the unit,
> > which goes off but the appliances connected to the unit remain on. I've
> > found this kit enormously helpful with the multiple devices around the
> > house when it comes time to shut down at night.
> >
> > If these units are going to start failing so soon as some SilverCrest
> > kit has been found to do, Is there a more reliable brand?

> i HAD SOME FROM aLDI OR lIDL, may have been Silvercrest, whuch exhibited
> teh same problem. A whack with a stick fixed them for a short while, but
> I replaced them eventually. It's probably just faulty relays, but I
> haven't had time ti investigate that, probably the relays are nearly as
> expensive as the complete product.

Could be they are being used for a load greater they can cope with -
depite what is advertised.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<bbvvqidavkfig52lsm2s0c69h7c4ppvrjd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122705&group=uk.d-i-y#122705

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59:02 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59 UTC

On 23 Jan 2024 17:15:52 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds like the relay contacts are stuck. Sometimes a bit of ?percussive
>>> maintenance? will free the contacts.
>>>
>>> Reliability wise, I think they?re as good as any other cheap radio switch.
>>> Never had a problem with mine.
>>>
>>> Tim
>> I patted the table leg with the thing but it still won't co-operate.
>
>“Patted”? Give it some welly! Try in different directions too.
>
>Tim
Sure enough welly won the day. Ta muchly.
--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<uoov0j$17upl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122706&group=uk.d-i-y#122706

From: news@ingram-bromley.co.uk (nib)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:02:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: nib - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:02 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59:02 +0000, Mike Halmarack wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2024 17:15:52 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
>>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I patted the table leg with the thing but it still won't co-operate.
>>
>>“Patted”? Give it some welly! Try in different directions too.
>>
>>Tim
> Sure enough welly won the day. Ta muchly.

I've found with a couple of types of remote switch that they don't last
long before the contacts weld when switching inductive things or things
with a high inrush, such as PCs. Mine are lasting for ever switching 1 kW
heating but only a few months on a benchload of electronics.

nib

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<mpro.s7qdi0009s9ka05xg.me9@privacy.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122716&group=uk.d-i-y#122716

From: me9@privacy.net (me9)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 20:13:12 +0000
 by: me9 - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 20:13 UTC

nib <news@ingram-bromley.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59:02 +0000, Mike Halmarack wrote:

> > > “Patted”? Give it some welly! Try in different directions too.
> >>
> > > Tim
> > Sure enough welly won the day. Ta muchly.
>
> I've found with a couple of types of remote switch that they don't last
> long before the contacts weld when switching inductive things or things
> with a high inrush, such as PCs. Mine are lasting for ever switching 1 kW
> heating but only a few months on a benchload of electronics.

Mine failed feeding a PC. The others were ok until they were used to feed
the PC. I used to whack the failing one hard with a length of plastic
conduit kept handy for teh job.

--
braind

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<uop9qd$1elhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122719&group=uk.d-i-y#122719

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:07:23 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:07 UTC

On 1/23/2024 1:02 PM, nib wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59:02 +0000, Mike Halmarack wrote:

>>> “Patted”? Give it some welly! Try in different directions too.
>>>
>>> Tim
>> Sure enough welly won the day. Ta muchly.
>
> I've found with a couple of types of remote switch that they don't last
> long before the contacts weld when switching inductive things or things
> with a high inrush, such as PCs. Mine are lasting for ever switching 1 kW
> heating but only a few months on a benchload of electronics.
>
> nib

Exactly. The load type did this.

Usually the documentation warns of "inductive loads"
and "can't switch inductive loads with this unit".

You can make automation controllers which can switch any
load within your household, but the relay will be a lot bigger.
A relay with 40 amp rated contacts, would be sufficient
to switch a PC ATX supply. As the inrush current is on the
order of 40A to 80A or so (for two mains cycles). You can tell by
the way the incandescent lights flicker, what kind of inrush
a PC has got.

When Anandtech was reviewing a certain brand new PC ATX supply,
(1000W or so) the unit kept tripping the lab breaker, every time it was
plugged in. It's actually possible for inrush to trip a breaker,
which I would not have guessed would happen. The I-squared-T
should not be big enough to do that. That would be an example
of something you might not even want to switch with your
40 ampere relay contacts.

Paul

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<c5j1ripfr3pjnotfs6d0j3m2j57cnlek81@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122737&group=uk.d-i-y#122737

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 08:43:08 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 08:43 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59:02 +0000, Mike Halmarack
<mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 23 Jan 2024 17:15:52 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
>>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I patted the table leg with the thing but it still won't co-operate.
>>
>>“Patted”? Give it some welly! Try in different directions too.
>>
>>Tim
>Sure enough welly won the day. Ta muchly.

In fact it now works so well that the control button B now switch on
other areas such as A. And A now switches B on and off too.
Whack-a -Mole or in the bin?

It was very useful for a week or two.

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<uoqng1$1ordg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122746&group=uk.d-i-y#122746

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:06:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:06 UTC

On 24 Jan 2024 at 08:43:08 GMT, Mike Halmarack wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59:02 +0000, Mike Halmarack
> <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> “Patted”? Give it some welly! Try in different directions too.
>>>
>>> Tim
>> Sure enough welly won the day. Ta muchly.
>
> In fact it now works so well that the control button B now switch on
> other areas such as A. And A now switches B on and off too.
> Whack-a -Mole or in the bin?
>
> It was very useful for a week or two.

Maybe take it back if less than 3 years old? I've found them pretty helpful
even without a receipt.

FYI I've got some wireless plug/sockets - find them pretty good, monitor
consumption, work away from home. But you'd need a smart phone to operate
them.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<big2rilrt9naut6a1v1ced5gg0crcen7ng@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122785&group=uk.d-i-y#122785

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:03:06 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:03 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:06:57 -0000 (UTC), RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

>On 24 Jan 2024 at 08:43:08 GMT, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:59:02 +0000, Mike Halmarack
>> <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sure enough welly won the day. Ta muchly.
>>
>> In fact it now works so well that the control button B now switch on
>> other areas such as A. And A now switches B on and off too.
>> Whack-a -Mole or in the bin?
>>
>> It was very useful for a week or two.
>
>Maybe take it back if less than 3 years old? I've found them pretty helpful
>even without a receipt.
>
>FYI I've got some wireless plug/sockets - find them pretty good, monitor
>consumption, work away from home. But you'd need a smart phone to operate
>them.

Thanks for the info. I do have a smart phone and would be interested
in such kit.
--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<spg2rip6cbme8ainu5s4jaqaq53210tn6a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122787&group=uk.d-i-y#122787

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:10:37 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:10 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:43:16 +0000, me9 <me9@privacy.net> wrote:

>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else bought one of these kits and found a similar problem to
>> this?: One of the plug in units (one of four) has taken to switching on ok
>> and it seems to switch off according to the green light on the unit, which
>> goes off but the appliances connected to the unit remain on. I've found
>> this kit enormously helpful with the multiple devices around the house
>> when it comes time to shut down at night.
>>
>> If these units are going to start failing so soon as some SilverCrest kit
>> has been found to do, Is there a more reliable brand?
>
>i HAD SOME FROM aLDI OR lIDL, may have been Silvercrest, whuch exhibited teh
>same problem. A whack with a stick fixed them for a short while, but I
>replaced them eventually. It's probably just faulty relays, but I haven't
>had time ti investigate that, probably the relays are nearly as expensive as
>the complete product.

I'm almost convinced that the walking, bending and stretching
involved in turning my devices off and on manually is the less
troublesome method. After all, I was just trying to impress my wife
with my hi tech nous. Now she just thinks I'm a compulsive shopper of
cheap junk.
--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<36h2rip0lafudbn51utgr2b0gp5bo1is2m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122788&group=uk.d-i-y#122788

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:17:11 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:17 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 24 17:45:05 UTC, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
wrote:

>Could be they are being used for a load greater they can cope with -
>depite what is advertised.

In this thread some have mentioned problems with high computer demands
particularly. My PC and laptop are being handled easily by the gadgets
in question. The unit controlling an electric radiator has been the
first to go wonky though.
--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<1357432263.727819723.376370.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122800&group=uk.d-i-y#122800

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 24 Jan 2024 20:10:25 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 20:10 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 24 17:45:05 UTC, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> Could be they are being used for a load greater they can cope with -
>> depite what is advertised.
>
> In this thread some have mentioned problems with high computer demands
> particularly. My PC and laptop are being handled easily by the gadgets
> in question. The unit controlling an electric radiator has been the
> first to go wonky though.

Few of these devices were ever designed to be used near their current
rating limit continuously. How powerful is your radiator?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<0bb4ri1h8ecr0aoa8kqprkh1gtshesskop@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122826&group=uk.d-i-y#122826

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:46:33 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:46 UTC

On 24 Jan 2024 20:10:25 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 24 17:45:05 UTC, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Could be they are being used for a load greater they can cope with -
>>> depite what is advertised.
>>
>> In this thread some have mentioned problems with high computer demands
>> particularly. My PC and laptop are being handled easily by the gadgets
>> in question. The unit controlling an electric radiator has been the
>> first to go wonky though.
>
>Few of these devices were ever designed to be used near their current
>rating limit continuously. How powerful is your radiator?
>
>Tim
Total power consumption 2400 W
input 220 to 240
50Hz

--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<uotfil$29cks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122834&group=uk.d-i-y#122834

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:10:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:10 UTC

On 24 Jan 2024 at 17:03:06 GMT, Mike Halmarack wrote:

>> FYI I've got some wireless plug/sockets - find them pretty good, monitor
>> consumption, work away from home. But you'd need a smart phone to operate
>> them.
>
> Thanks for the info. I do have a smart phone and would be interested
> in such kit.

The ones I've got are Teckin SP23. Smart phone software actually works very
well, with some useful features - scheduling, consumption real time and
history, no hub needed, voice control (via alexa etc), and remote switching
over wifi (which has some privacy issues, I'd guess, as there must be a
central 'cloud' somewhere). I've had them about 5 years. Their consumption
seems to be very low - maybe 1W or so.

The only real issue is that they don't fit UK switched sockets very well -
plugging them in forced the switch on. I'd hope the designer feels suitably
ashamed :-)

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<921684348.727874566.478378.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122835&group=uk.d-i-y#122835

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Jan 2024 11:24:04 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:24 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2024 20:10:25 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
>> Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In this thread some have mentioned problems with high computer demands
>>> particularly. My PC and laptop are being handled easily by the gadgets
>>> in question. The unit controlling an electric radiator has been the
>>> first to go wonky though.
>>
>> Few of these devices were ever designed to be used near their current
>> rating limit continuously. How powerful is your radiator?
>>
>> Tim
> Total power consumption 2400 W
> input 220 to 240
> 50Hz

I think 2.4kW continuous through a small device rated at 3kW max is pushing
your luck.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<b455rip99qmqlt94jjlrle98173genkqjt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122848&group=uk.d-i-y#122848

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:05:07 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:05 UTC

On 25 Jan 2024 11:24:04 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Few of these devices were ever designed to be used near their current
>>> rating limit continuously. How powerful is your radiator?
>>>
>>> Tim
>> Total power consumption 2400 W
>> input 220 to 240
>> 50Hz
>>

>I think 2.4kW continuous through a small device rated at 3kW max is pushing
>your luck.
>
>Tim
Yes, all the rest are working fine, so not such a big loss.
--

Mike

Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?

<lg55ri5d2q4onulm959nuicl8kj3oeuliu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122849&group=uk.d-i-y#122849

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:12:05 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:12 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:10:13 -0000 (UTC), RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

>On 24 Jan 2024 at 17:03:06 GMT, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>
>>> FYI I've got some wireless plug/sockets - find them pretty good, monitor
>>> consumption, work away from home. But you'd need a smart phone to operate
>>> them.
>>
>> Thanks for the info. I do have a smart phone and would be interested
>> in such kit.
>
>The ones I've got are Teckin SP23. Smart phone software actually works very
>well, with some useful features - scheduling, consumption real time and
>history, no hub needed, voice control (via alexa etc), and remote switching
>over wifi (which has some privacy issues, I'd guess, as there must be a
>central 'cloud' somewhere). I've had them about 5 years. Their consumption
>seems to be very low - maybe 1W or so.
>
>The only real issue is that they don't fit UK switched sockets very well -
>plugging them in forced the switch on. I'd hope the designer feels suitably
>ashamed :-)

They look interesting. Wouldn't the switch need to be always on
anyway?
--

Mike

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: SilverCrest remote switching of power sockets problem?