Would you care to drift aimlessly in my direction?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: I have a Y plan system boiler . The boiler fires up for not water but will not fire up for central heating.

SubjectAuthor
* Re: I have a Y plan system boiler . The boiler fires up for not water but will nAnimal
`- Re: I have a Y plan system boiler . The boiler fires up for not water but will nRoger Mills

1
Re: I have a Y plan system boiler . The boiler fires up for not water but will not fire up for central heating.

<ffec5c39-a275-490c-9fd9-84f4792a4b09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123042&group=uk.d-i-y#123042

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:22:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: I have a Y plan system boiler . The boiler fires up for not water
but will not fire up for central heating.
From: tabbypurr@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:22 UTC

On Sunday 28 January 2024 at 15:17:05 UTC, Nick wrote:
> I have a Y plan system boiler the boiler fires up for not water but will not fire up for central heating

commonly caused by a faulty 3 way valve, but can be due ot the room stat or timer, or even wiring.

Re: I have a Y plan system boiler . The boiler fires up for not water but will not fire up for central heating.

<l1qsacF6fptU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123225&group=uk.d-i-y#123225

From: mills37.fslife@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
but will not fire up for central heating.
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:57:01 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:57 UTC

On 28/01/2024 17:22, Animal wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2024 at 15:17:05 UTC, Nick wrote:
>> I have a Y plan system boiler the boiler fires up for not water but will not fire up for central heating
>
> commonly caused by a faulty 3 way valve, but can be due ot the room stat or timer, or even wiring.

Most likely the 3-port mid-position valve. The wet part could be seized,
the actuator could be dead - or just confused. If the latter, you can
sometimes fix it by removing *all*[1] power from the valve, and starting
again - but that doesn't seem likely for your symptoms, but there's
little to lose by trying it.

Can you access the valve to be able to remove the actuator from the wet
part (usually 2 screws)? If so, do that, but leave the actuator
connected electrically. See whether the spindle of the wet part can be
turned by finger and thumb. It only moves about a quarter of a turn. if
it's very stiff, see whether you can free it up by turning back and
forth with a pair of pliers and dripping a spot or two of oil unto the
shaft gland.

Then see whether the (removed) actuator does what it should by (a)
switching on just the HW (make sure that the cylinder stat is calling
for heat), (b) switching on just the CH (make sure that the room stat is
calling for heat) and (c) switching both on at the same time. For (a)
and (b) the actuator should be at the two ends of its travel
respectively, and for (c) somewhere in the middle of its travel.

[1] To remove all power from the valve you need to turn off the whole
system at the FCU - or wherever it's powered from. Just turning off HW
and CH at the programmer isn't sufficient because it still leaves a
power connection to the valve.
--
Cheers,
Roger