I have the power to HALT PRODUCTION on all TEENAGE SEX COMEDIES!!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Workshop heating - success!

SubjectAuthor
* Workshop heating - success!nothanks
+* Re: Workshop heating - success!Andy Burns
|`* Re: Workshop heating - success!nothanks
| `- Re: Workshop heating - success!Brian Gaff
+* Re: Workshop heating - success!wasbit
|`* Re: Workshop heating - success!nothanks
| +- Re: Workshop heating - success!nothanks
| `* Re: Workshop heating - success!wasbit
|  `- Re: Workshop heating - success!nothanks
`* Re: Workshop heating - success!Animal
 +- Re: Workshop heating - success!nothanks
 `- Re: Workshop heating - success!wasbit

1
Workshop heating - success!

<l1nodtFjpt9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123049&group=uk.d-i-y#123049

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Workshop heating - success!
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:32:13 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:32 UTC

I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
running in the workshop - it's great!
They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down to
switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use its
run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter, unfiltered
combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe. The first is
easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V 15A PSU, if the
fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with rigid pipe, and filters
are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<l1p7raFrj33U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123096&group=uk.d-i-y#123096

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Workshop heating - success!
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 09:01:24 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 09:01 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
> running in the workshop

I think you're now supposed to get obsessed with generating the 12V from
a stack of peltier devices, running the exhaust through an old radiator
as a heat exchanger, and scrounging old oil from the local chippy ...

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<up7uqc$e04a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123114&group=uk.d-i-y#123114

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:31:39 +0000
 by: wasbit - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:31 UTC

On 28/01/2024 19:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
> running in the workshop - it's great!
> They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down to
> switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use its
> run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter, unfiltered
> combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe. The first is
> easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V 15A PSU, if the
> fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with rigid pipe, and filters
> are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.

Agreed.
A diesel air heater allows me to do those jobs which don't take long
enough to warrant lighting the wood burner plus they give near instant heat.

What's unfiltered combustion intake air?
No filter on my air intake, just an end piece with slots to prevent
solids entering.
Or, are some people recycling the exhaust gasses by having the intake
too close?

My manual says that the power supply should be 20 amps minimum but I
prefer to overspec so went for a 30 amp model @ £22 similar to
-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aclorol-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Converter/dp/B082TTY3L7/ref=sr_1_24?

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<l1pfapFtciaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123124&group=uk.d-i-y#123124

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:09:15 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:09 UTC

On 29/01/2024 09:01, Andy Burns wrote:
> nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
>> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
>> running in the workshop
>
> I think you're now supposed to get obsessed with generating the 12V from
> a stack of peltier devices, running the exhaust through an old radiator
> as a heat exchanger, and scrounging old oil from the local chippy ...

Those all sound great fun, but life is too short (getting shorter by the
day!) and the list of jobs is growing (getting longer by the day!) so I
will resist the temptation ;-)

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<l1pg26FtciaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123126&group=uk.d-i-y#123126

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:21:43 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:21 UTC

On 29/01/2024 10:31, wasbit wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 19:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
>> running in the workshop - it's great!
>> They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down
>> to switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use its
>> run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter, unfiltered
>> combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe. The first is
>> easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V 15A PSU, if the
>> fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with rigid pipe, and
>> filters are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.
>
> Agreed.
> A diesel air heater allows me to do those jobs which don't take long
> enough to warrant lighting the wood burner plus they give near instant
> heat.
>
> What's unfiltered combustion intake air?
> No filter on my air intake, just an end piece with slots to prevent
> solids entering.
> Or, are some people recycling the exhaust gasses by having the intake
> too close?
I've run the exhaust through the wall and put one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C5TRYR7N on the intake because I generate
a lot of saw dust.

> My manual says that the power supply should be 20 amps minimum but I
> prefer to overspec so went for a 30 amp model @ £22 similar to
> -
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aclorol-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Converter/dp/B082TTY3L7/ref=sr_1_24?
I went for this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002266393301.html?
with a small'ish (10Ah?) battery so that the heater can complete it's
cool-down cycle even if the mains fails. The control PCB is sat on the
top of the heat exchanger and (apparently) it cooks if the 12V supply is
disconnected when the heater is running and hasn't completed it's
shutdown. The PSU draws about 40mA from the battery when the heater is
off so I have a "hidden" DP switch which disconnects the battery when
the heater is isolated, for when the heater isn't being used.

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<l1pg5nFtci8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123127&group=uk.d-i-y#123127

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:23:36 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:23 UTC

On 29/01/2024 11:21, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 29/01/2024 10:31, wasbit wrote:
>> On 28/01/2024 19:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
>>> running in the workshop - it's great!
>>> They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down
>>> to switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use
>>> its run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter,
>>> unfiltered combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe.
>>> The first is easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V
>>> 15A PSU, if the fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with
>>> rigid pipe, and filters are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.
>>
>> Agreed.
>> A diesel air heater allows me to do those jobs which don't take long
>> enough to warrant lighting the wood burner plus they give near instant
>> heat.
>>
>> What's unfiltered combustion intake air?
>> No filter on my air intake, just an end piece with slots to prevent
>> solids entering.
>> Or, are some people recycling the exhaust gasses by having the intake
>> too close?
> I've run the exhaust through the wall and put one of these
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C5TRYR7N on the intake because I generate
> a lot of saw dust.
>>
>> My manual says that the power supply should be 20 amps minimum but I
>> prefer to overspec so went for a 30 amp model @ £22 similar to
>> -
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aclorol-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Converter/dp/B082TTY3L7/ref=sr_1_24?
> I went for this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002266393301.html?
> with a small'ish (10Ah?) battery so that the heater can complete it's
> cool-down cycle even if the mains fails. The control PCB is sat on the
> top of the heat exchanger and (apparently) it cooks if the 12V supply is
> disconnected when the heater is running and hasn't completed it's
> shutdown. The PSU draws about 40mA from the battery when the heater is
> off so I have a "hidden" DP switch which disconnects the battery when
> the heater is isolated, for when the heater isn't being used.

Aaagh! I do know the difference between it's and its ... more coffee needed

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<6cfab281-2090-46ca-b9bc-ea52b33c90d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123192&group=uk.d-i-y#123192

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:55:38 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbypurr@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:55 UTC

On Sunday 28 January 2024 at 19:32:19 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
> running in the workshop - it's great!
> They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down to
> switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use its
> run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter, unfiltered
> combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe. The first is
> easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V 15A PSU, if the
> fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with rigid pipe, and filters
> are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.

Don't forget a CO alarm, those heaters are quite lacking in safety precautions

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<l1qfouF458pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123200&group=uk.d-i-y#123200

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:22:53 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:22 UTC

On 29/01/2024 19:55, Animal wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2024 at 19:32:19 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
>> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
>> running in the workshop - it's great!
>> They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down to
>> switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use its
>> run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter, unfiltered
>> combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe. The first is
>> easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V 15A PSU, if the
>> fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with rigid pipe, and filters
>> are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.
>
> Don't forget a CO alarm, those heaters are quite lacking in safety precautions
Thanks for the prompt, but I ordered one earlier today.
Quite a while ago an acquaintance nearly died in a light aircraft
because of a CO leak, it made me rather sensitive to the risk.

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<upaj7b$us24$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123233&group=uk.d-i-y#123233

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:32:10 +0000
 by: wasbit - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:32 UTC

On 29/01/2024 11:21, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 29/01/2024 10:31, wasbit wrote:
>> On 28/01/2024 19:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
>>> running in the workshop - it's great!
>>> They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down
>>> to switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use
>>> its run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter,
>>> unfiltered combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe.
>>> The first is easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V
>>> 15A PSU, if the fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with
>>> rigid pipe, and filters are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.
>>
>> Agreed.
>> A diesel air heater allows me to do those jobs which don't take long
>> enough to warrant lighting the wood burner plus they give near instant
>> heat.
>>
>> What's unfiltered combustion intake air?
>> No filter on my air intake, just an end piece with slots to prevent
>> solids entering.
>> Or, are some people recycling the exhaust gasses by having the intake
>> too close?
> I've run the exhaust through the wall and put one of these
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C5TRYR7N on the intake because I generate
> a lot of saw dust.
>>
>> My manual says that the power supply should be 20 amps minimum but I
>> prefer to overspec so went for a 30 amp model @ £22 similar to
>> -
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aclorol-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Converter/dp/B082TTY3L7/ref=sr_1_24?
>>
> I went for this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002266393301.html?
> with a small'ish (10Ah?) battery so that the heater can complete it's
> cool-down cycle even if the mains fails. The control PCB is sat on the
> top of the heat exchanger and (apparently) it cooks if the 12V supply is
> disconnected when the heater is running and hasn't completed it's
> shutdown. The PSU draws about 40mA from the battery when the heater is
> off so I have a "hidden" DP switch which disconnects the battery when
> the heater is isolated, for when the heater isn't being used.

According to the link your power supply is 24v / 13.5a!

I see why you have a filter on the air intake.

I suspect that the shutting down problems are caused by idiot owners not
reading the instructions & following the correct procedure.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<upajdu$ut6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123234&group=uk.d-i-y#123234

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:35:40 +0000
 by: wasbit - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:35 UTC

On 29/01/2024 19:55, Animal wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2024 at 19:32:19 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
>> I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater
>> running in the workshop - it's great!
>> They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down to
>> switching off the power (rather than allowing the heater to use its
>> run-down cycle to cool things down), lack of a fuel filter, unfiltered
>> combustion intake air and (perhaps) flexible fuel pipe. The first is
>> easily fixed with a small 12V battery to back-up a 12V 15A PSU, if the
>> fuel pipe is flexible it's cheap to replace with rigid pipe, and filters
>> are obvious. Overall, highly recommended.
>
> Don't forget a CO alarm, those heaters are quite lacking in safety precautions

Not required in my draughty concrete sectional garage but for the little
they cost it would seem a prudent investment.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<l1sbc9Ff31bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123244&group=uk.d-i-y#123244

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:20:10 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:20 UTC

On 30/01/2024 10:32, wasbit wrote:
> On 29/01/2024 11:21, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed.
>>> A diesel air heater allows me to do those jobs which don't take long
>>> enough to warrant lighting the wood burner plus they give near
>>> instant heat.
>>>
>>> What's unfiltered combustion intake air?
>>> No filter on my air intake, just an end piece with slots to prevent
>>> solids entering.
>>> Or, are some people recycling the exhaust gasses by having the intake
>>> too close?
>> I've run the exhaust through the wall and put one of these
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C5TRYR7N on the intake because I
>> generate a lot of saw dust.
>>>
>>> My manual says that the power supply should be 20 amps minimum but I
>>> prefer to overspec so went for a 30 amp model @ £22 similar to
>>> -
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aclorol-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Converter/dp/B082TTY3L7/ref=sr_1_24?
>> I went for this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002266393301.html?
>> with a small'ish (10Ah?) battery so that the heater can complete it's
>> cool-down cycle even if the mains fails. The control PCB is sat on the
>> top of the heat exchanger and (apparently) it cooks if the 12V supply
>> is disconnected when the heater is running and hasn't completed it's
>> shutdown. The PSU draws about 40mA from the battery when the heater is
>> off so I have a "hidden" DP switch which disconnects the battery when
>> the heater is isolated, for when the heater isn't being used.
>>>

> According to the link your power supply is 24v / 13.5a!
Strange. Apologies if the link is wrong, if you're looking for one then
search for SC-180-12

> I see why you have a filter on the air intake.
>
> I suspect that the shutting down problems are caused by idiot owners not
> reading the instructions & following the correct procedure.

Re: Workshop heating - success!

<upb9oo$12ldb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123262&group=uk.d-i-y#123262

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:56:54 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:56 UTC

For everything you add though, surely there is a cost of some sort toward
the heating and cooling in the main system.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...